C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Battery - Are they any better than a generic from AutoZone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I would go autozone or Delco they are all over if you need help.

OEM look

Just feel the optima is ugly.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:32 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
I would go autozone or Delco they are all over if you need help.

OEM look

Just feel the optima is ugly.

I guess if you prefer an ugly black box for a battery, either of those two will definitely fit the bill.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just replaced my red top optima after 6 years of use. I replaced it with a duralast platinum (formerly odyssey batteries). I think the optime quality has suffered, now made in china, and I would only use a yellow top if you have a lot of audio/electronics running out of your car. otherwise duralast platinum and call it a day.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM
JohnToner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver
I just replaced my red top optima after 6 years of use. I replaced it with a duralast platinum (formerly odyssey batteries). I think the optime quality has suffered, now made in china, and I would only use a yellow top if you have a lot of audio/electronics running out of your car. otherwise duralast platinum and call it a day.
Made by the ChiComs! I should've guessed it when I found the price $70.00 cheaper than AZ. I'm old enough to known better than to buy based on price.

Now I'm thinking to just give it to a buddy at work to put in an old Ford he's planning to sell. I'm absolutely NFW putting Chicom crap in my Vette. Same for "Heco in Mexico", India, Bangladesh, Guatemala or even Guatepeor. If I wanted to support their economies I'd move my business there. BTW, what have any of them done for us lately?

Last edited by JohnToner; 06-22-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Corrected a typo.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Just say "NO", but they sure are pretty!!

Yes, I have tried the Optima red more than once because of all the hype & good looks, but was disappointed both times. The batteries fell short on durability (did not last long) to my surprise. The first time because I'm a fair guy I gave them another chance. "I" have found the standard Delco to be a top shelf product; more reliable & longer lasting battery. Interstate batteries is another top shelf product that I have found. It lasted 7+ years in my car, than a neighbor needed a battery fast so I gave them my Interstate which they ran for another year or two before it threw in the towel.

I had a battery store owner tell me one time that you are better off buying a battery with less capacity because they don't have to pack in more plates in the same amount of space which means using thinner plates that are more likely to short out, more prone to vibration damage and generate more sulfate. So on his word I gave it a shot. Since then I have went with less and found it to be more. I don't think you will ever go wrong with Delco. When our Z3 BMW battery took a dump I went and bought the cheapest, lesser amp battery but still enough rating for the car at a battery warehouse. We let the car sit for weeks at a time outside before using the car again and the battery has been a champ for 3 or 4+ years now. I will buy a less expensive one again. The store owner also said that there are really only a hand full of manufactures anyway.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 06-22-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:56 PM
JohnToner
Advanced

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Man
Yes, I have tried the Optima red more than once because of all the hype & good looks, but was disappointed both times. The batteries fell short on durability (did not last long) to my surprise. The first time because I'm a fair guy I gave them another chance. "I" have found the standard Delco to be a top shelf product; more reliable & longer lasting battery. Interstate batteries is another top shelf product that I have found. It lasted 7+ years in my car, than a neighbor needed a battery fast so I gave them my Interstate which they ran for another year or two before it threw in the towel.

I had a battery store owner tell me one time that you are better off buying a battery with less capacity because they don't have to pack in more plates in the same amount of space which means using thinner plates that are more likely to short out, more prone to vibration damage and generate more sulfate. So on his word I gave it a shot. Since then I have went with less and found it to be more. I don't think you will ever go wrong with Delco. When our Z3 BMW battery took a dump I went and bought the cheapest, lesser amp battery but still enough rating for the car at a battery warehouse. We let the car sit for weeks at a time outside before using the car again and the battery has been a champ for 3 or 4+ years now. I will buy a less expensive one again. The store owner also said that there are really only a hand full of manufactures anyway.

Lesson Learned, the hard way.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 PM
C6LS3
Racer

my stock battery leaked after 2 years after buying the car new. so, i purchased a yellow top. no problems yet in one year of ownership. i also listen to the car radio with engine off for about 30 minutes before work. good luck with your decision.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 PM
rowdymax
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 2 Optima Yellow Tops...They work great...Red Tops have higher cranking amps and the yellows are deep cycle if you have upgraded sound system pulling more amps...
Went from D35 yellow top to D75/25 yellow top due to it has top and side posts whick I connected wires from stereo...Sold other YT and it is stilll working well...Only issue is if you drain it completely, it can have issues...I mean completely, not just tough starting...I'll stay with Optimas, good stuff...

Quick Reply: Optima Battery - Are they any better than a generic from AutoZone?