C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polished Aluminum Wheels - Polish???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
wjhgolf
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Aluminum Wheels - Polish???

I have the standard 2006 polished aluminum wheels - wish I had the chrome ones, but they weren't available that year. I don't want to damage the finish, but I want to protect them and make them shine as much as possible. I am cautious about using any of the waxes that talk about rubbing until the "black residue" appears and then wipe that off because I don't want to damage any coating that might be on the wheels. I don't think you should use "chrome polish" on them. Any suggestions? No, I don't want to spend the $$$$ for chrome wheels! Thanks.
Bill Hill
wjhgolf4@comcast.net
Old 06-15-2014, 05:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

To my knowledge, no good, modern car polish has that phrase of black residue in/on it. That's one option. Another is Wheel Wax. And a final one is Rejex. Look them up and see if it meets your requirements.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,009 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I clean with glass cleaner and a soft clean towel, apply RejeX then buff.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:23 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I clean with glass cleaner and a soft clean towel, apply RejeX then buff.

don't forget wait until the wheels are cool. after countless track days, the brake dust has taken a toll on mine. some use simple green or purple power and a brush to clean the barrels also.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 PM
wjhgolf
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AORoads
To my knowledge, no good, modern car polish has that phrase of black residue in/on it. That's one option. Another is Wheel Wax. And a final one is Rejex. Look them up and see if it meets your requirements.
Mothers' Mag and Aluminum polish states that you should rub until you get black residue on your microfiber towel. To me, that's like what happens when cleaning silver or brass items.....scary. I use Meguiars Ultimate on the car - love it. Should I just put that on the wheels after cleaning them?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Can't hurt to use good qual. polish. The reason for the "wait until the black comes off.." is for non-coated wheels. Long ago, I had coated polished wheels that eventually lost their coating. Just about anything would produce the black oxidation on a cloth with any kind of polish on it.

If the Meguiar's or any other brand is safe for body paint/clearcoat, it'll be safe for the coated polished wheels. Maybe not the best stuff, but no damage. I would slightly disagree on using relatively caustic cleaners like Simple Green, etc. They can have an effect on metals esp. aluminum (such as in the engine bay where some use it and it can permanently discolors or dull parts). Once again, less is sometimes more.

Just an FYI, notice the answer to the FAQ re "is WheelWax safe for clearcoat wheels?": https://www.wheelwax.com/faqMain.aspx#q1
Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 PM
wjhgolf
Heel & Toe

Can't hurt to use good qual. polish. The reason for the "wait until the black comes off.." is for non-coated wheels. Long ago, I had coated polished wheels that eventually lost their coating. Just about anything would produce the black oxidation on a cloth with any kind of polish on it.

If the Meguiar's or any other brand is safe for body paint/clearcoat, it'll be safe for the coated polished wheels. Maybe not the best stuff, but no damage. I would slightly disagree on using relatively caustic cleaners like Simple Green, etc. They can have an effect on metals esp. aluminum (such as in the engine bay where some use it and it can permanently discolors or dull parts). Once again, less is sometimes more.

Just an FYI, notice the answer to the FAQ re "is WheelWax safe for clearcoat wheels?": https://www.wheelwax.com/faqMain.aspx#q1
I think I'll get some Wheel Wax - have you ever bought it - where?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wjhgolf
I have the standard 2006 polished aluminum wheels - wish I had the chrome ones, but they weren't available that year. I don't want to damage the finish, but I want to protect them and make them shine as much as possible. I am cautious about using any of the waxes that talk about rubbing until the "black residue" appears and then wipe that off because I don't want to damage any coating that might be on the wheels. I don't think you should use "chrome polish" on them. Any suggestions? No, I don't want to spend the $$$$ for chrome wheels! Thanks.
Bill Hill
wjhgolf4@comcast.net
I think I'll get some Wheel Wax - have you ever bought it - where?
Mothers' Mag and Aluminum polish states that you should rub until you get black residue on your microfiber towel. To me, that's like what happens when cleaning silver or brass items.....scary. I use Meguiars Ultimate on the car - love it. Should I just put that on the wheels after cleaning them?
- all oem vehicle wheels that are "polished" are actually clear coated, aka painted, cleaning etc like any other painted surface,
no (reasonable) way to get more polish out of the aluminum underneath the paint,

- do NOT use the mentioned mothers mag/aluminum polish or alike, that stuff s for parts that are bare aluminum, some aftermarked wheels might be bare polished aluminum, but no car manufacturer uses that oem,
I remember having some weld wheels (auto drag?, forgot) a long time ago like that, looked great, too much upkeep,

- wheel wax = from autogeek.com , used it on my polished gumbys and then on my chrome gumbys,

- if you want chrome wheels you'll find them, 05 - 13 base all fit the same, parts section here, ebay, craigslist, etc,
or get yours chromed, many times that comes out better than the oem's,
Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edcologne
- all oem vehicle wheels that are "polished" are actually clear coated, aka painted, cleaning etc like any other painted surface,
no (reasonable) way to get more polish out of the aluminum underneath the paint,

- do NOT use the mentioned mothers mag/aluminum polish or alike, that stuff s for parts that are bare aluminum, some aftermarked wheels might be bare polished aluminum, but no car manufacturer uses that oem,
I remember having some weld wheels (auto drag?, forgot) a long time ago like that, looked great, too much upkeep....
Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I own one Wheel Wax but haven't used it yet. Other stuff seems to work so far for me. As to some aftermarket wheels being bare aluminum, if I recall correctly all of the unpainted, polished wheels from CCW are non-coated polished wheels. Great wheels from owners on here but does require some effort to keep up the looks. I'm sure they aren't the only ones.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

As stated, the stock "aluminum" wheels are actually clear-coated and, as such, are not "polishable" at all. Doing anything abrasive (which is what polishing is) will actually damage the surface.

This is one of the wheels on my Z06. It is a true, bare metal aluminum wheel that you can polish. You should have no trouble seeing the difference - the stock wheels don't provide reflections like that.

I use Mother's metal polish then Wheel Wax on the outers. I use soap and water then Rejex on the inners. Contrary to a lot of tales, the upkeep on these isn't that big of a deal. But then, being n California, they aren't subjected to a lot of the things that much of the country provides.

Z//

Old 06-16-2014, 02:47 PM
wjhgolf
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
As stated, the stock "aluminum" wheels are actually clear-coated and, as such, are not "polishable" at all. Doing anything abrasive (which is what polishing is) will actually damage the surface.

This is one of the wheels on my Z06. It is a true, bare metal aluminum wheel that you can polish. You should have no trouble seeing the difference - the stock wheels don't provide reflections like that.

I use Mother's metal polish then Wheel Wax on the outers. I use soap and water then Rejex on the inners. Contrary to a lot of tales, the upkeep on these isn't that big of a deal. But then, being n California, they aren't subjected to a lot of the things that much of the country provides.

Z//

I just got some advice from a guy at Discount Tire who has a Vette with polished aluminum wheels that have the clear coat like mine. He uses Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish - carefully - with a microfiber towel to apply and wipe off (before it dries as instructed). I just used it and my wheels weren't dirty at all (they never really are), but they look and feel shinier and I'm pleased! I did not rub hard and didn't use very much.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Stay away from the stuff made for uncoated wheels unless you remove the coating. Then you can be like the guys 50 years ago and spend a lot of your time polishing wheels.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Polished Aluminum Wheels - Polish???

Quick Reply: Polished Aluminum Wheels - Polish???