C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 PM
McBeer
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end noise

I bought an '07 base model last week. I think I've discovered why it was for sale

I'm getting all manner of strange sounds out of the back end. The most pronounced of which is a cyclic grinding sound when turning at low speed. I was also getting a slight clicking when accelerating from a stop or going over bumps, but was able to remedy it. Here's a crappy video of the sounds in action: http://1drv.ms/1mgm6Gw (Note: the shuffling/clicking sounds you hear are the result of my camera bouncing around on the dash. The low pitch grinding/scraping sound is the only real issue present in this video)

Swerving at speed does not cause these issues. It has to be a tighter/longer turn. There is no noise nor shudder while decelerating. Taking tight turns with the clutch in does not make noise. It seems to require load on the drivetrain.

Things I've tried (mostly at the suggestion of other forum posts):
  1. Changing the differential fluid with the new GM recommended stuff. This did nothing.
  2. Tightened the sway bar link ends to spec. This also did nothing.
  3. Replacing the axle spindle nut (putting 140lbs torque and loctite on it) and putting chain lube on the spindle + between the CV joint and the wheel hub. This seems to have silenced the clicking sounds, but does nothing for the grinding.
  4. Inspected the CV boots for damage and did not see any.

At this point I'm thinking it might be part of the differential, but I'm not sure how to definitively diagnose this. What else can I do to narrow it down?

Last edited by McBeer; 06-05-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You may need new end links. Just something to consider.

Check this discussion for the noise, see how your efforts compare:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ferential.html

Quick Reply: Rear end noise