C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80/90 hold big numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 PM
bp92gsr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 6L80/90 hold big numbers?

Was talking with Mike at Century Transmissions about building my 6L80 with their super 6L80 rebuild and he's claiming they have had a bunch of success with these in 900-1100 rwhp cars. This is what the build consists of:

•Complete rebuild with all new gaskets, seals, rings & filter. New pistons & retainers where needed.
•Alto 6L80 PowerPacks® in the 4/5/6 , 3/5/Rev & 2-6 clutch packs, this transmission's weakest links. Alto's state of the art Red Eagle® friction material incorporated with additional plates added to the clutch packs for a major increase in capacity!
•Raybestos or B&W h/d frictions in the low/rev clutch pack & 1/2/3/4 pack.
•300m Billet Intermediate Shaft (output carrier shaft-4/5/6 hub) with improved thrust bearing. Now that we've got the clutch packs holding better, the OEM powedered-metal shaft is twisting & breaking with increased H.P., the next weak link.
•4-5-6 "Powerglide Powerpack" hub & clutch kit. Our latest improvment. This kit allows us to use the Red Eagle Powerglide frictions that are twice as wide as the conventional 4-5-6 friction for double the surface area and twice the holding power! This kit incorporates custom made pressure plates for the P.G. clutch that also resist coneing & warping. This also allows us to run much higher 3-4 shift pressures in the TCM tune than we could with the conventional PowerPack for even more wot shift consistancy & reliability.
•Century reinforced clutch hubs for increased reliability.
•Wide inlet filter
•Century's proprietary valve body ugrades.
•Performance Transmission Tune Included! A proper performance TCM tune is very important for warranty, optimum transmission performance & longevity! We tune with HP Tuners software.
•1 year warranty.
•'08 and older units may require some internal factory updates at additional cost. We will advise you of updates, if needed after tear-down & inspection of your transmission.

Has anyone personally experienced any luck with this type of rebuild in their 6L80/90? I keep reading they are quite hard to tune. Since I do not have the time nor cash to swap the car to a 4L60/80, will this be a feasible option if I plan to go FI and make 1k rwhp?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:28 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Chris (thesubfloor) is our local Century A6 expert. I'm sure he'll chime in sometime over the weekend. But for now, he says absolutely tuning is critical for high HP applications.

Here's a discussion that will give something to think about while waiting for more:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ercharger.html
Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 PM
bp92gsr
Pro

Thanks! Ill take a look.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:22 AM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have that a century built trans (6L80) and it's been working perfect for about 3 years and 20k miles now. Mine doesn't make big power at all (400RWHP) but it has a 3600 yank converter pulling high 1.4s or low 1.5s at the track and drives home without any hiccups. If it ever goes out again I wouldn't hesitate to go back to century at all.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:56 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Thanks Dicky! I plan to go FI within the next couple years. I want something that will handle 1000hp. I just planned to replace the stock diff with a built c6 z06 diff with a brace and run this built 6L80 if they will mate. I also had a chance to speak with Chris about the OP in this thread. He was super knowledgable/helpful and was quick to put me at ease with the Century built trans. Great guy and was willing to help me in any way necessary.

Last edited by bp92gsr; 05-24-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Mike Farris
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I plan to take my car to Century this week. Mike seems to know his stuff and I've seen some potent cars running his stuff. I'll probably step power into the 700rwhp after its done. Dont expect any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To 6L80/90 hold big numbers?

Quick Reply: 6L80/90 hold big numbers?