C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 straight pipe axle back

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 PM
jonesc6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c6 straight pipe axle back

hello people has anybody taken a c6 an ran straight pipes axle back with tips? just curious if it would hurt motor in anyway? if so is it safe to run them?
Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Did that for 3 weeks until I couldn't handle the extreme sound anymore. Your ears may or may not be able to survive, but it won't hurt the engine.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

That's why I like Bullets. Essentially 3" straight pipes with a resonator. Get the same great sound, but the resonator tunes it so it isn't so obnoxious. I remember the days of Laker cutouts. Loud as hell, but not at all pleasant to listen to. Off course they were right off the headers, so basically no run length for the outlets.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Bagman0
Intermediate

I also went about 3 weeks. The sound was a bit to harsh. I went back last week and put 12" glass packs on it. I absolutely love the sound! The drone was so loud in lower rpms that I couldn't hear the wife (not always a bad thing). I have a vert 05. Very happy with the exhaust and the cost. Total was 250 at the muffler shop. I replaced borla tourings with this set up.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Bagman0
Intermediate

Also, be prepared to spend some time with the muffler man. I wanted my tips to be equal and level. I stood behind the lift with a trusty level and made the call for the welds.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 PM
shawnaj7731
Pro

DONT do it. I spent a lot of money trying exhaust, From modified stock mufflers, to straight pipes, to xs power axle back and flow master axle back, I came to the conclusion for me the 2 that worked best was Borla and loudmouth II. I like the little bit louder sound and loudmouth II worked out for me but the rest of the stuff sounded like A$$ and total waste of time and $$. I also installed sound deadner from the front to the back of the car and it helped a lot out with the drone to a bare min. Not even noticeable.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnaj7731
DONT do it. I spent a lot of money trying exhaust, From modified stock mufflers, to straight pipes, to xs power axle back and flow master axle back, I came to the conclusion for me the 2 that worked best was Borla and loudmouth II. I like the little bit louder sound and loudmouth II worked out for me but the rest of the stuff sounded like A$$ and total waste of time and $$. I also installed sound deadner from the front to the back of the car and it helped a lot out with the drone to a bare min. Not even noticeable.

I'm also running the slp long tube headers, catted x-pipe w/lm2. love the sound but would like to lower the drone if possible. can you please pm me more info on your sound deadner set-up.
thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
I'm also running the slp long tube headers, catted x-pipe w/lm2. love the sound but would like to lower the drone if possible. can you please pm me more info on your sound deadner set-up.
thanks
take it to a GOOD audio shop. They will fix you up. Make sure they have worked on vettes and other high end cars. Ask to look at photos of the cars they do. when you see 100k cars in the shop, they know what they are doing.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Bagman0
Intermediate

I would say go listen to at least YouTube. For someone to say all of them sound like *** is a very narrow statement. I'm happy with mine and it was just the sound I was looking for. I have a big block Chevelle also and we'll never get it to sound like that. It all depends what YOU are looking for in sound from your vette.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 PM
shawnaj7731
Pro

I will say it sounded, like crap to me but I have Heads Cam intake Long tube Headers, but to each is there own. If it would of sounded anything near the old Muscle sound I would of loved it but it does not. To me it sounded like a car that needed a exhaust repair with a broke exhaust pipe and the Drone was obnoxious. Hopefully you find what you looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 straight pipe axle back

Quick Reply: c6 straight pipe axle back