C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Bilstein Shock GB v6.0 (Many happy C6 base, vert, GS customers running these)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

Randy,
Are the DRM Bilsteins's recommended for the GS that sees regular hpde sessions?

One issue I would like to fix is scraping the air dam at the bottom of a hill, would that be low speed compression? The track is: www.ridgemotorsportspark.com the bottom of the "hill" is between turn 6 (first big sweeper) and right at turn 7 : http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/...with-Names.pdf The car is a '12GS with stock suspension, or would you recommend something different? I know its tough to guess, even looking at you tube video's makes it difficult to get any depth deception.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Dano,
This is how bilstein has them.

HD (heavy duty) Were for the base cars, verts and etc
Sports were for the Z51 cars and c5zs
DRM are for just about everyone. They offer a smooth ride (nothing crazy about the high speed compression settings) The low speed settings and the curve is where we played around the most with. In some spots they are less aggressive and others they are more aggressive then the sports.

What type of driving do you do? Is it just to the golf course and back? Or do you like to play in the hills? Or like clover leafs?

Randy
Randy, I trying to get less body roll in the corners (gets semi brutal when the back end steps out, and have to power up to bring it back in/transition twist), but not at the cost of stiffening up the suspension so stiff its brutal on the roads when it not on the track (reason that I when with a Z51 over a Z06).

As for driving, most of year, just to breakfast when its warm when I pop in town for the weekends about once a month, but hard high speed circuit track use when I'm on holiday and time to spend at the house it's stored in the warmer months.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Randy, I trying to get less body roll in the corners (gets semi brutal when the back end steps out, and have to power up to bring it back in/transition twist), but not at the cost of stiffening up the suspension so stiff its brutal on the roads when it not on the track (reason that I when with a Z51 over a Z06).

As for driving, most of year, just to breakfast when its warm when I pop in town for the weekends about once a month, but hard high speed circuit track use when I'm on holiday and time to spend at the house it's stored in the warmer months.
Your driving style is our target market We wanted something that was tame on the streets and nailed down on the track. I think these are just what you are looking for

Randy
Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Randy,
Are the DRM Bilsteins's recommended for the GS that sees regular hpde sessions?

One issue I would like to fix is scraping the air dam at the bottom of a hill, would that be low speed compression? The track is: www.ridgemotorsportspark.com the bottom of the "hill" is between turn 6 (first big sweeper) and right at turn 7 : http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/...with-Names.pdf The car is a '12GS with stock suspension, or would you recommend something different? I know its tough to guess, even looking at you tube video's makes it difficult to get any depth deception.

We did increase compression on the front shocks. So it's going to help but I can't say if it's a cure for your situation. I would buy a extra front lip and wear yours out! The shock will never replace extra spring rate or increased ride height. If you are really worried about it, I would raise the front of the car up a tick.

Randy
Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Do you know the DRM's compare to the Johnny O Connell's in terms of ride?

I have the JOC's on my car along with the JOC sways. The car corners flat and they helped cure bump steer, but they are a bit darty. My main reason for switching is I'm getting tired of the harshness on DC's beat up streets. They seem to ride better at higher speeds and worse at low speeds such as those encountered in urban stop and go traffic. The stock Z51s rode fine, but the stockers become unsettled on bumpy streets and the back would bump steer on uneven expansion joints in a clover leaf.

I'm using the car to commute and for quick street driving, (e.g. accelerating hard in clover leafs and hard 90* right turns when the lanes are clear).

Recommend whatever you think is best. Thanks.

I have zero experience with the Johnny shocks. Never even seen them. So I can't answer that one, sorry. There has been a few people that have made the switch and I will try to point them to this thread!

Randy
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gfacter
Are these slightly shorter them them OEM dampers? I installed a set of the original bilsteins in 2007 on my C6 at the time and I thought they were about 1/2 lower.

I ask this as I have a steep driveway and some clearance issues
The shock length should not affect the dreaded driveway approach. After installing the shocks most will see no difference in ride height. If it does lower it a bit, you can adjust the spring up a bit to get it back to stock, or increased.

Randy
Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
The shock length should not affect the dreaded driveway approach. After installing the shocks most will see no difference in ride height. If it does lower it a bit, you can adjust the spring up a bit to get it back to stock, or increased.

Randy
Thanks, going to order a set
Old 05-16-2014, 02:22 AM
Still_Slow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy, would these also help some for my wheel hop issues?!
Old 05-18-2014, 01:43 PM
erupted
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order placed.....Thanks for the GB offer.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:34 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks for the reply Randy. I placed my order too and look forward to the compression test.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

All confirmation emails have been sent. I was away on holiday over the weekend, so got caught back up. 25 sets left! 75 sets pre-ordered!!!

Randy
Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 PM
yellowGS
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My set is ordered! Question on the install, specifically the fronts. I'm confused a bit on what parts transfer over from the OEM shocks. Do we reuse the OEM bump stop and dust boot? I've seen some comments on a loose rattling washer on the Bilstein bump stop. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Is there anything visual to distinguish these from the regular sports shocks?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:44 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DezVette
Ahhh, cool. I don't live in Green Bay. I'm a Bears fan.
Da Bears!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sallen619
Is there anything visual to distinguish these from the regular sports shocks?
They are the same color and size as the sport shock. From the outside the only difference is part number on them. Bilstein did a special part number for them.

Randy
Old 06-08-2014, 05:54 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Are these really better than the stock ZO6 shocks? I put sport shocks on my C5 and it drove like a truck. So I'm worried about installing these on my C6 Z. Comments please.

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Bilstein Shock GB v6.0 (Many happy C6 base, vert, GS customers running these)

Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

talk to you on the phone.in on the GB v6.0 will call again on Monday.have a nice weekend. Rex
Old 06-13-2014, 11:55 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please explain about raising it up a click?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Delta Jim
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ordered... thanks for running a group buy!

Quick Reply: DRM Bilstein Shock GB v6.0 (Many happy C6 base, vert, GS customers running these)