C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flimsy battery cradle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM
geagle.2001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Flimsy battery cradle?

Today I replaced the battery in my 2005 coupe. This is the first time I've done it, since I bought the car just this month. The little piece that attaches to the front lower lip of the battery to seat it in the cradle doesn't seem like much to hold the battery tight, especially for a performance car that I plan to drive as intended with some track days. I tigtened it as much as I could, and it does grip, but it seems like the battery can still slide side to side, and there are no other brackets to tighten except just the one in the front.

Has anybody else noticed this, or fabricated a home remedy that is better? Maybe its overkill and the battery really isn't going anywhere, but since I am planning some track days this summer, I want it to be as tight as possible.

thanks

PS: I just got the car last week, and I went out to readust some of the presets Sunday night, and carelessly left a map light on that is attached to the rear view mirror. I didn't drive it Monday, and Monday night the battery was dead. I hooked up a tender charger, and waited until Wednesday morning. Still nothing. I tried to jump it, and nothing. I took the battery and had it tested, and the core was completely dead. I figured, no big deal, maybe it was the original battery and its time for a new one. But when I pulled the battery out, it had a "January 2014" sticker on it. I don't think I could have completely killed the battery with one little map light over a day and a half. This makes me think the dealer that had it from where I bought it left the car sit without putting it in reverse and it was weak already. They probably jumped it just before I picked it up. I don't know. But the owners manual says to put a trickle charger on if you don't drive the car for more than 21 days, so there must be a lot of stuff that drains the battery just sitting. Live and learn, I guess. At the end of the day, I've got a new battery that is warranteed for 3 years.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You need to push the puck pack as you tighten the bolt.

I retired from a battery company in November and live in Milwaukee are if you want help.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 PM
geagle.2001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
You need to push the puck pack as you tighten the bolt.

I retired from a battery company in November and live in Milwaukee are if you want help.
Thank you very much for the offer. I think I've got it locked in as tight as it will go. I had a mechanic buddy double check it for me and he said its good to go.

Since you are a fellow Milwaukeen, do you ever make it up to Road America for the races? The Corvette Corral up by turn 3 is a great place to watch the races.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:29 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by geagle.2001
Thank you very much for the offer. I think I've got it locked in as tight as it will go. I had a mechanic buddy double check it for me and he said its good to go.

Since you are a fellow Milwaukeen, do you ever make it up to Road America for the races? The Corvette Corral up by turn 3 is a great place to watch the races.
The last 10 years I have gone up there so much I was going to build a house across "J" from the barn just east of the Corvette Coral.

I retired and have to go to 16 NHRA events this year, but I will be there for the World Challenge race because we sponsor RealTime racing and the July Vintage event for sure.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Tim is right. The rear edge of the battery goes under the rear lip of the tray, then as you tighten the front wedge, you need to push it towards the battery. It will hold the battery tight in any racing situation and is not flimsy.

Get notified of new replies

To Flimsy battery cradle?

Quick Reply: Flimsy battery cradle?