C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zo6 manifolds only to LS3

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 PM
General Lee
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Zo6 manifolds only to LS3

Iv searched for the answer to this specific question, i see a lot of guys changing other or all of the exhaust, i just want to swap manifolds only and leave the rest of the exhaust alone.
Possible or is it necessary to change
down pipe too?
My car has 2 cats each side a pre and regular cat, 2013 6 speed car.
Thanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I believe the ZO6 manifolds matte to a 3 inch down pipe with the cats. Then to the 3 inch H pipe then to the axle over pipe were most get a reduced piece to matte down to 2 1/ inches.

You have to use at least the whole Z06 unit at least back to the axle over pipes to be of value in exhausting the hot exhaust.

Not sure why you would want only the manifolds?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

You have to use the cat pipes that come with the Z06 manifolds and H-pipe. From there you can fit the stock mufflers although it will take a little work. This is the setup I have on my GS.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:08 AM
General Lee
Pro

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I believe the ZO6 manifolds matte to a 3 inch down pipe with the cats. Then to the 3 inch H pipe then to the axle over pipe were most get a reduced piece to matte down to 2 1/ inches.

You have to use at least the whole Z06 unit at least back to the axle over pipes to be of value in exhausting the hot exhaust.

Not sure why you would want only the manifolds?
I was understanding from reading some other threads that the LS7 piece is better flowing than the cast one on the LS3 was hoping that it would be a simple swap (manifold for manifold) and the downpipe would mate up, but i guess not. thanks for the tips & info.

Originally Posted by Evan70
You have to use the cat pipes that come with the Z06 manifolds and H-pipe. From there you can fit the stock mufflers although it will take a little work. This is the setup I have on my GS.
Ok so now i know i have to look for complete set except for axle back thanks .
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok so now i know i have to look for complete set except for axle back thanks .[/QUOTE]

The Z06 mid pipe is 3" and your axle back is 2.5"
Old 04-24-2014, 06:37 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

What you would use would be the z06 manifolds cats and part of the h pipe - just cut the z06 hpipe after the crossover and use reducers to neck it down to 2.5." Use some good sealing clamps and youre good to go!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM
Misael
Advanced

Other than flow, is the exhaust tone gradually changed? Considering changing out my Corsa and mid pipe setup.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:18 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

swapping out mufflers makes the biggest difference in sound over manifolds
Old 04-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Yes the bigger diameter pipe will make more noise, somewhere between stock and long tubes.

You need the bigger pipe to remove the exhaust heat away from the manifolds for the power to increase.

By the time the air gets to the over axle smaller diameter pipe the power has increased a
ready, the bigger mid pipe is needed.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Run headers make way more power and wicked sounds!!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Z06 mani/cat/H-pipe will make about 12-15HP on a stock car (I picked up 14RWHP), and does not require any tuning (where long tubes will). There is a noticeable change in the sound, and I think it makes the sound close to perfect with LS3 NPP exhaust, and I've had many people comment that they love the sound.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Misael
Advanced

My LS3 came with a corsa exhaust and aftermarket(not sure who made it) piping from headers back. Next thing will be longtubes, I was just curious if its worth redoing exhaust to 3" all the way back or keep it how it is and add the LT's.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Misael
My LS3 came with a corsa exhaust and aftermarket(not sure who made it) piping from headers back. Next thing will be longtubes, I was just curious if its worth redoing exhaust to 3" all the way back or keep it how it is and add the LT's.
Depends on what mods are done to the car? The addition of the long tubes will increase the exhaust volume and scavenging, giving the extra kick in the pants your looking for. Running a 3" center section will do the same, good thing is the LS motors like to breath and can handle a 3" center even if mildly modified.

What do you have done to the car?? Heads or cam?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:36 PM
Misael
Advanced

It's pretty stock just the exhaust setup and intake. LT's, mild cam and a good tune is what I will be shooting for soon.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:48 PM
General Lee
Pro

Thanks for all the replys. I know headers are the better choice but at roughly $2 grand+ with labor it's not in the cards right now
(or maybe ever)

Originally Posted by el es tu
What you would use would be the z06 manifolds cats and part of the h pipe - just cut the z06 hpipe after the crossover and use reducers to neck it down to 2.5." Use some good sealing clamps and youre good to go!
For what your describing wouldn't it be better to completly swap in the z06 exh front to back ? (of course cost being a factor)
How difficult was it for you to find the pieces you used?
Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

The Z06 mufflers neck down to 2.5" at the end, are heavy, and way overpriced even for a used set (ranging 500 to 1000 bucks with around 600 -800 being the average going rate). Some folks even argue that 3" the whole way isnt as helpful on lower output setups... of course others claim the opposite.

I bought a set of Thrush "Welded" (rebranded Flowmaster 40s) 2.5" offset in/offset out mufflers for $38 bucks each, added $30 tips and had them welded in with hangers for $75 in labor.

The clamps, mufflers, reducers, and tips were sourced from oreilly and autozone without having to special order anything.

After all was said and done I spent roughly $600 for a new exhaust from the manifolds to the mufflers.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:50 PM
General Lee
Pro

The Z06 mufflers neck down to 2.5" at the end, are heavy, and way overpriced even for a used set (ranging 500 to 1000 bucks with around 600 -800 being the average going rate). Some folks even argue that 3" the whole way isnt as helpful on lower output setups... of course others claim the opposite.

I bought a set of Thrush "Welded" (rebranded Flowmaster 40s) 2.5" offset in/offset out mufflers for $38 bucks each, added $30 tips and had them welded in with hangers for $75 in labor.

The clamps, mufflers, reducers, and tips were sourced from oreilly and autozone without having to special order anything.

After all was said and done I spent roughly $600 for a new exhaust from the manifolds to the mufflers.

ok so i would want to reuse my factory NPP, i would then only need the manifolds, downpipes w/cats & H-pipe.
Just curious does the H-pipe have cats inline? my '13 has precats & the regular ones further down i that started with '12 & also '13 model year for that setup on C6.
Thanks.

Last edited by General Lee; 04-25-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: corrected content

Get notified of new replies

To Zo6 manifolds only to LS3

Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by General Lee
ok so i would want to reuse my factory NPP, i would then only need the manifolds, downpipes w/cats & H-pipe.
Just curious does the H-pipe have cats inline? my '13 has precats & the regular ones further down i think '13 was the first & only year for that setup on C6.
Thanks.
All the c6 models eventually got secondary cats on the hpipe. They also changed the gasket configuration between the cats and hpipe, so make sure you get the parts from the same or similar year z06 (or zr1). If you plan to run gutted cats, having the secondary set of hollowed cats (as on the newer z06s and zr1s) should help lower the sound level since theyd act as resonators.

To match up the two h pipes before deciding where youre going to cut, use the spring hanger bracket:

Image from this thread (c5) http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...sion-pics.html

Last edited by el es tu; 04-25-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:38 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by General Lee
Just curious does the H-pipe have cats inline? my '13 has precats & the regular ones further down i think '13 was the first & only year for that setup on C6.
Thanks.
BTW you can use a 2011 or earlier Z06 manifolds, cats and H-pipe and it will mate up to a 12/13 mufflers with reducers. I actually noticed not only better sound on mine with this setup, but the center tunnel is also cooler since I now don't have the secondary cats.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 PM
General Lee
Pro

All the c6 models eventually got secondary cats on the hpipe. They also changed the gasket configuration between the cats and hpipe, so make sure you get the parts from the same or similar year z06 (or zr1). If you plan to run gutted cats, having the secondary set of hollowed cats (as on the newer z06s and zr1s) should help lower the sound level since theyd act as resonators.

To match up the two h pipes before deciding where youre going to cut, use the spring hanger bracket:

Image from this thread (c5) http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...sion-pics.html

Originally Posted by Evan70
BTW you can use a 2011 or earlier Z06 manifolds, cats and H-pipe and it will mate up to a 12/13 mufflers with reducers. I actually noticed not only better sound on mine with this setup, but the center tunnel is also cooler since I now don't have the secondary cats.
Ok guys thanks for the info, so i could go with 1 the full z06 using those muffs or 2 manifolds back and reduce that down to fit my npp's.
In either case i would be eliminating those center cats which from what iv looked at have no o2'sensors to them.
got it now thanks.

Quick Reply: Zo6 manifolds only to LS3