C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help with Whine

I have been looking through the forum for the past week and think that my issue is with the diff. Just wanted some more input.

My 2005 Z51 was in the shop to have the drive shaft and torque tube bearings replaced. I've had her back for a month now, but I have started noticing a whine behind the seats.

Between 3-6 gear, under light load, I get a rolling whine. If I push in on the clutch or accelerate, then it all goes away. It is the most noticeable at 2-3k rpms.

I have replaced the fluid in the diff and trans, then drove a few hundred miles. I am going to recheck the level in the diff as soon as I can. It was leaking out when I capped it up, but I want to be sure.

Thought?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 PM
GravelSurfer83
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fluid, but the 05 diff is a known weak spot.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

My thoughts are to go ahead and start collecting parts to swap it out. I found a good c5z diff and am wondering if I should by it and have it looked over or just get a c6 diff from rpm..... The z is built stronger so I'm leaning towards it...plus there is no core charge
Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Be very careful. While the diff is a very likely possibility it is not the only possibility. I went thru the same thing with my 2005 Z51. The whine coming on exactly as you describe and progressively got worse over about 6 months. I replaced the diff only to find that wasn't the problem. Turned out it was the trans, probably an output shaft bearing. It made all the noises of a diff issue, I even took it to a place the specializes in differentials and they agreed.

The interesting part is that several people who own 2005 Z51's have had the same issue. It appears to be specific to the Z51 trans. Search for my name "ccmano" and you can read the expensive saga I went through. The problem is that there is no real way to differentiate whether it's the diff or the trans.
Good luck.
H
Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ccmano
Be very careful. While the diff is a very likely possibility it is not the only possibility. I went thru the same thing with my 2005 Z51. The whine coming on exactly as you describe and progressively got worse over about 6 months. I replaced the diff only to find that wasn't the problem. Turned out it was the trans, probably an output shaft bearing. It made all the noises of a diff issue, I even took it to a place the specializes in differentials and they agreed.

The interesting part is that several people who own 2005 Z51's have had the same issue. It appears to be specific to the Z51 trans. Search for my name "ccmano" and you can read the expensive saga I went through. The problem is that there is no real way to differentiate whether it's the diff or the trans.
Good luck.
H
Thanks, at this time i'm going to look for a complete swap to a t6060 and diff from a newer car.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Originally Posted by c6reaperx
Thanks, at this time i'm going to look for a complete swap to a t6060 and diff from a newer car.
Good idea! I did a complete swap to a 2007 Z06 T56 trans/diff. This got me the the later diff design, the diff cooler and the heavy duty internals in both. I'm very happy with it. Don't forget that your Z51 has trans cooling that std trans cars don't have. The regular T56 or T6060 trans does not have oil pump or the cooling line hook ups. You will need a Z51 specific trans (later ones have shown the whine issue too) or a Z06 setup like mine. The Z06 trans does not have the close ratio gears, but I have to say I don't see much of a difference.

Good luck
H
Old 04-23-2014, 04:28 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ccmano
Good idea! I did a complete swap to a 2007 Z06 T56 trans/diff. This got me the the later diff design, the diff cooler and the heavy duty internals in both. I'm very happy with it. Don't forget that your Z51 has trans cooling that std trans cars don't have. The regular T56 or T6060 trans does not have oil pump or the cooling line hook ups. You will need a Z51 specific trans (later ones have shown the whine issue too) or a Z06 setup like mine. The Z06 trans does not have the close ratio gears, but I have to say I don't see much of a difference.

Good luck
H
If I use a zo6 trans will it bolt up to a diff from a 2011 base. My understanding is that the splines were all the same after 07?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Originally Posted by c6reaperx
If I use a zo6 trans will it bolt up to a diff from a 2011 base. My understanding is that the splines were all the same after 07?
Correct... I got great deal on an 18k mile 2007 Z06 trans/diff combo from "Pick_a_Part" out of Cleveland for $3k shipped. Excellent communication, fast created shipment, parts were clean and in perfect condition. They specialize in Corvette and other high performance applications. I was very impressed. I can give you contact info if you PM me.
H
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

If it's NOT in the dif or trans, i read about this somewhere. It was the thrust bearing and it wiped the crank out. something about bearings going bad in the driveshaft (inside the torque tube) tearing the bearings apart from the vibration. manual cars had a whine which went away when you pressed the clutch..

Hope that's not it, but google torque tube bearing failure or something similar to that. I'm changing my Tube out this weekend. I went with OEM New complete torque tube. just too much labor to leave to chance. If something else is no good? so be it, it won't be the tube! Good luck
Old 04-23-2014, 09:13 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I saw the title and thought....tell her to shut the hell up but then I read the post
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pewter99
I saw the title and thought....tell her to shut the hell up but then I read the post
Lol... i'm lucky enough to be married to one who does not whine....
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
If it's NOT in the dif or trans, i read about this somewhere. It was the thrust bearing and it wiped the crank out. something about bearings going bad in the driveshaft (inside the torque tube) tearing the bearings apart from the vibration. manual cars had a whine which went away when you pressed the clutch..

Hope that's not it, but google torque tube bearing failure or something similar to that. I'm changing my Tube out this weekend. I went with OEM New complete torque tube. just too much labor to leave to chance. If something else is no good? so be it, it won't be the tube! Good luck
I would hope that is ok....just had it replaced
Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 PM
c6reaperx
c6reaperx
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE="c6reaperx;1586734166"]

I would hope that is ok....just had it replaced[/QUOTe

Always had a slight noise....just worse now

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Whine

Quick Reply: Help with Whine