C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Leak Video..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:55 AM
edg3h
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Leak Video..

OK so I am driving to work and i get this check coolant level on my dash. As soon as i get to my destination i notice a little white steam/smoke coming from my hood. I open it and find it leaking from what looks the power steering housing? It didn't feel oily like the steering fluid, so I'm assuming its coolant?

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2chs...8#.U1E26Vf4XBY

My question is can I drive it one mile home? Should i add some water maybe just to ensure something is in there?

Ima leave it parked for the weekend until i can get a tow, but i would rather have it sitting in my house.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:19 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

What color is the liquid? Hard to tell in the video but if its coming from the center area in front I'd guess the water pump is leaking. Fill the coolant tank and you should be able to drive it a mile but keep an eye on the temp gauge.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 AM
edg3h
Advanced

it was clear Liquid
Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
What color is the liquid? Hard to tell in the video but if its coming from the center area in front I'd guess the water pump is leaking. Fill the coolant tank and you should be able to drive it a mile but keep an eye on the temp gauge.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 AM
edg3h
Advanced

what a relief thanks for the input. Il fill it up with water and drive it the mile to my house. I'll figure out throughout the weekend how i will get it towed to the shop

If only there were good corvette mechanics CLOSE to me :/

THanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Water pump? Good luck, and let us know when it is fixed.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by edg3h
what a relief thanks for the input. Il fill it up with water and drive it the mile to my house. I'll figure out throughout the weekend how i will get it towed to the shop

If only there were good corvette mechanics CLOSE to me :/

THanks!
Don't know what's close to you in Miami, but here's a couple of recommendations from other CF members:

---Lorenzo Bomrin Chev--Stanley is the Corvette Tech. (per "Makko16")

---Tropical Chev--Orlando is the Corvette Tech, (per "proxy001")

You can most likely PM/EM either one and ask them about their experiences.

Tell us what happens and how it goes and good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:07 PM
edg3h
Advanced

Finally got the car back today. Had the Water Pump, Alternator, Battery and a Power Steering hose swapped out to get her back on the road.

Also had the car lowered on (Cut Stock Bushings) now I need somewhere in Miami to align it to PFADT specs.. Any one recommend a shop?

Thanks for the suggestions AORoads the reason why I said nearby is because i would only take my car to horsepower sales in pompano... but now they moved to west palm beach.. So it was a difficult trip to have it towed 80 plus miles, then to take a train and taxi to go pick her up.. but it was definitely worth it.. And i had always hated the thought of taking my car to dealership.. I will defiantly keep those two guys in mind though thanks!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by edg3h
Finally got the car back today. Had the Water Pump, Alternator, Battery and a Power Steering hose swapped out to get her back on the road.

!
All those things went bad at once....wow, don't bother buying any lottery tickets for a while...

Get notified of new replies

To Major Leak Video..

Quick Reply: Major Leak Video..