C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Muffler

Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM
griffinmma
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Muffler

Hey, so I've been contemplating many things from getting an NPP 06 System with NPP in a box but it's a pricey system for a whole new exhaust. I just want to change the sound slightly to get a bit more of a growl, something to justify that the growl is equivalent to the bite. I don't want something so complex but rather something that is quiet when cruising, loud on acceleration and a little less than mild at idle. I want to just replace the muffler, has anyone does this, and what do you recommend?

Car Information:
2005 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe with an LS2 Engine
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

If you want to change mufflers on the cheap, just get some 2.5" offset inlet/ offset outlet mufflers and a set of tips, then have a local muffler shop weld them in.

As far as what mufflers to go with - its so subjective that I dont want to give a suggestion, as the level of drone on some systems is fine for some folks and horrible for others.

fwiw I run Thrush welded (Flowmaster 40 copy) - they drone and are probably louder than what you want, but they are less than 40 bucks apeice and available at most auto stores.
After parts and labor, for roughly 200 bucks I got a nice sound (to me) out of the car and a new look for it.

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Muffler