C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing woofers in door

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM
sstew
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Replacing woofers in door

Looked all through the audio site and didn't see anything on this so quick question. Replacing my large door speakers in my 09 vert because they are ratteling. I know, I know it may be the clips or door panels. Checked it out and they are bad. So here is the question, I am going to upgrade all the speakers but as you know there are no exact replacements for the Woofers/midbase /large speakers in the doors. I am trying to decide between a midbass speaker Rockford Fosgate PPS4-8 FR 80-5k and a pioneer subwoofer Pioneer TS-SW841D FR 30-1500. Will run factory amp with these. Both will fit with adaptor plates. Has anybody got any suggestions or experience with either of these?
Thanks
Stosh
Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The woofers in the doors are self-powered so you will need a separate amplifier. Have you read the various threads in the audio sub forum? Markcz, pentavolvo and dennis from double d mods among others are very helpful in there. You may have to rethink your audio system overhaul. Most install 6.5 inch components in the doors with adapter plates (separate tweeter in place of the other speaker). You can avoid a separate amp if you replace your head unit and power the speakers off of that.

I replaced all speakers, added a sub in a custom box in the driver's side rear cubby, and have two amps wedged into the factory location in the passenger footwell. I have a detailed write up in audio sub forum. Search stealth install.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 PM
sstew
Instructor

Default Speaker update

Thanks for the reply. Yep Been all over the forum, I should have mentioned mine is the Non Bose system so the door speakers are not self powered.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:10 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd go with a set of 6.5 component speakers and 1" tweeters instead of midbass woofers unless you plan on changing out the twiddlers to something better.

If you're set on midbass, I'd probably swap the twiddlers for a coaxial setup.

I wouldn't go for a full-on sub in the door...too much rattling. I've heard great things about those punch pro mids, though.

The door is a bad place for a bass speaker...too many losses from vibration, even with proper sound deadening. I've got a set of Rockford T3 components in the doors, T1's in the rear, and in the process of installing 2 JL 10W3's in the rear cubbys.

What are your plans re: amplifiers? The stock amp is crap (was in my '13 at least)...distortion at half volume.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 AM
sstew
Instructor

Default Door Speakers

Thanks for input. I have not decided on anything yet. Just looking and gathering advise and lessons learned from you good folks on this forum. I would go with a separate sub in a heartbeat if I had enough room. I am planning a double d JL upgrade for the 5.25 and 3.5 but again not decided yet. I should also tell you I am getting older and hearing isn't what it used to be. I was perfectly happy with stock stereo until the speakers started ratteling. If I could find better quality direct replacements I would do that.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Stosh

Last edited by sstew; 04-14-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM
sstew
Instructor

Decided on Pioneer 8" subs in door. Another forum member said he did this upgrade and was very well pleased, I will see shortly. Ordered these adaptor plates http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aftermarket-C6-Front-Door-Speaker-Installation-Adapter-Plates-6-5-Inch-Ring-/390807243454?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afded4abe&vxp=mtr made for 6.5" speaker so I will have to cut them down but they are molded plastic about 1/4" thick so should do the business!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM
nspendleton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bose or non-Bose? I have the non-Bose system and when I bought the car the passenger speaker was blown. I really liked the bass level that the stock speakers put out, but just couldn't go stock again. I ended up making my own template out of 1/4" MDF and bought MB Quart Reference RLP254 10" slim subs off Amazon in place of the original woofers. I'm using the stock radio and amp and these things sound really good! The stock amp is 8ohms so if you want to replace the stock with aftermarket you have to get either dual 4ohms and wire it in parallel or a single 8ohm. Dual 4 ohms are much easier to find.

Would my system sound better with Focal components and a sub in the cargo area? Yeah it definitely would, but for $1500 less I ended up with a system that sounds really great!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM
sstew
Instructor

Sorry, Non Bose. I am also replacing the upper door speakers and rear speakers with Infinity cappas. I am going this way because I will add an amp latter and This should do the trick.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:10 PM
nspendleton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced all the other speakers with Polk Audio DB series speakers while I was at it too. I've contemplated changing out the receiver, but would rather spend the money on go fast parts now!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I love Rockford fosgate. really great quality
Old 04-18-2014, 10:37 PM
sstew
Instructor

Default Update

Got the door speakers today and they sound good but noticabley lower output level. This was expected from advice from Dennis a DD. Partly due to mismatch of impedence. Am looking to replace stock amp that will fit in same area, any one with suggestions?
Thanks
Stosh
Old 12-28-2016, 11:22 AM
tedpatricksarsfield
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

door speakers actually rusted, the voice call rust and come off of the woofer thats the sound you hear, water gets into the door from weather, car wash etc. might want to go with a 6.5 alpine marine speaker in doors, need a conversion braket.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by tedpatricksarsfield
door speakers actually rusted, the voice call rust and come off of the woofer thats the sound you hear, water gets into the door from weather, car wash etc. might want to go with a 6.5 alpine marine speaker in doors, need a conversion braket.
you know this is a 2 year old post ........

Dave
Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Fighta
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tedpatricksarsfield
Bringing back an oLLLLLLLLLLLLD post. But i have a question because both of my speakers are shot...driver side door sub doesnt even work and the passenger just rattles and from i have read its always due to the "water" getting into the door and damaging the voice coil. If i were to replace them with 6.5 speakers wouldnt the water damage those as well or am i missing something?
The following users liked this post:
SPSandman (04-12-2021)
Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

You can baffle them or get a poly cone rubber surround driver

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing woofers in door

Quick Reply: Replacing woofers in door