C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The gas gage issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 PM
1RB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The gas gage issue

I have a friend with a 2010 GS. We were on a Corvette Club cruise this past weekend, when his GS (30K miles) died. Should've had half tank of gas. Towed to his house.

He plans to troubleshoot before asking local dealer to help. He added 2 gal today - all it would take. Still won't start. I suggested using starting fluid in the intake - that's next.

Any suggestions before he takes to dealer?

I've noticed that this seems a prevalent issue. Is there any help from GM, or are owners "out in cold"?

As for me - 2012 GS, 17K miles - under warranty - should I be doing anything?

Thanks
RB
Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 1RB
I have a friend with a 2010 GS. We were on a Corvette Club cruise this past weekend, when his GS (30K miles) died. Should've had half tank of gas. Towed to his house.

He plans to troubleshoot before asking local dealer to help. He added 2 gal today - all it would take. Still won't start. I suggested using starting fluid in the intake - that's next.

I've noticed that this seems a prevalent issue. Is there any help from GM, or are owners "out in cold"?

Thanks
RB
What was the gas gauge doing? I gather that it indicated empty, but you don't actually say so in your post.

The most common gas gauge problem has to do with dirt on the level sender. The DIC will display "Service Fuel System" and the gauge reads zero. However, the car should continue to run.

If the gauge dropped to zero and the car quit simultaneously, I'd guess you have an electrical power problem. Dead battery, loose cable, bad ground, etc. What happens when he tries to start the car?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Gas Gauge Issue discussed here only means that the Gauge will read empty. So you'd be guessing as to amount of gas left. The car will still drive and run as always. No impact on driveability.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Starter fluid in the intake will tell you if it's a fuel related issue or not. If it starts then you have a direction to go. If it doesn't then pull a plug and check for spark. I don't specifically remember if the C6 does this but if you press the bottom of the start button for several seconds to turn the car 'on', do you hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 1RB

Thanks
RB
Do you have access to a diag tool to read codes from all the modules. Not sure a basic reader will work. they mostly only read codes if you get a check engine light.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 PM
1RB
Advanced

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Do you have access to a diag tool to read codes from all the modules. Not sure a basic reader will work. they mostly only read codes if you get a check engine light.
Here's an update:
Gage said zero, when it shouldn't have. Engine stopped, but was able to crank the engine. He was able to add only a gallon of gas, when it began overflowing. Car sat for several days, then he was able to start, gage began reading normal, and all appears to be normal, now.

Of course, something's amiss, so he's going to borrow a code reader. Likely will end up taking it to the dealer.

My question is - since this seems to be an issue in C6, is there anything I should do with my 2012 GS, so I don't encounter the same issue. I do not want to start using additives, as some threads have suggested.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1RB
My question is - since this seems to be an issue in C6, is there anything I should do with my 2012 GS, so I don't encounter the same issue. I do not want to start using additives, as some threads have suggested.
The combination of symptoms you describe are not a common "issue" with the C6. The usual gauge problem does not cause the car to quit.

If you want to avoid the fuel gauge problem, I suggest not letting the car go for days with the fuel level below, say, 3/4 tank. Anecdotal evidence (including my own experience) is that the level senders get dirty when not immersed in fuel. When the gauge is reading 1/2, the right tank is completely empty.

Usually when you pull the senders, the right one is dirty and the left one is shiny and clean.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Try using techron or some other fuel system cleaner - that should help keep the sending unit from mucking up

Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 AM
1RB
Advanced

When you fill the tank - does the fuel enter the right tank first?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:17 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 1RB
No, it goes into the left tank. When that's full it spills over into the right tank. When running the fuel pump draws from the left tank, and gas is also pumped from the right tank to the left one. Net result is the right tank is emptied first.

Originally Posted by 1RB
I do not want to start using additives, as some threads have suggested.
In general I don't believe in additives either, but Techron is an exception; it has a long history of working as advertised. It really should be used.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:19 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1RB
The fuel filler, which is on the left side of the car, is connected to the left tank. When the left tank is full, fuel spills through the crossover tube into the right tank. During operation, a transfer pump keeps the left tank full by drawing fuel from the right tank.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 AM
riverrat68
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 08 . I just got it and it has 12K miles on it. Gauge read 1/2 tank, and I was going on a run, so I went to fill it up. Took about 5 gals. I said, "that can't be right". He said it won't take any more. when I started it , it was a little over half a tank. The read out on the "DIC" range said I could go 136 miles. Should I take it in or 1st try the Tecron?
Jerry
Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by riverrat68
I have an 08 . I just got it and it has 12K miles on it. Gauge read 1/2 tank, and I was going on a run, so I went to fill it up. Took about 5 gals. I said, "that can't be right". He said it won't take any more. when I started it , it was a little over half a tank. The read out on the "DIC" range said I could go 136 miles. Should I take it in or 1st try the Tecron?
Jerry
Sometimes you have to fuss with the pump to get it to fill up all the way. In Oregon you're at the mercy of the guy pumping the gas, so you get what you get. I'd try another station.

Last edited by torquetube; 04-15-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:13 PM
riverrat68
Racer

Default gas gauge

Well I have done the tecron and the gas guy let me put it in. I was at half a tank and as slow as I could put it in , and it took 2.1 Gal. I talked to the Chevy dealer and he said they could "flash" it and see if it was the gauge or the sending unit. Sound right??
Jerry
Roseburg Or

Originally Posted by torquetube
Sometimes you have to fuss with the pump to get it to fill up all the way. In Oregon you're at the mercy of the guy pumping the gas, so you get what you get. I'd try another station.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Well I have done the tecron and the gas guy let me put it in. I was at half a tank and as slow as I could put it in , and it took 2.1 Gal. I talked to the Chevy dealer and he said they could "flash" it and see if it was the gauge or the sending unit. Sound right??
Jerry
Roseburg Or
Sure, give it a shot.

Starting around 2007, GM reversed the impedance range on the level senders so when they get dirty they err on the side of less fuel rather than more fuel. If you put in 5 gallons starting at an indicated 1/2 tank and it barely nudged the needle, your right level sender might be dirty or otherwise malfunctioning.

I would monitor the fuel level vs. miles driven and see if anything seems off. Once gauge goes below 1/2 tank, you're on the left sender only and the numbers should make sense.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM
riverrat68
Racer

Default gas gauge problem

I am not sure the gas is getting into the other tank (one wau or the other). I am beginning to think the fuel isn't getting to the passenger side tank.
I will try your suggestion first

Originally Posted by torquetube
Sure, give it a shot.

Starting around 2007, GM reversed the impedance range on the level senders so when they get dirty they err on the side of less fuel rather than more fuel. If you put in 5 gallons starting at an indicated 1/2 tank and it barely nudged the needle, your right level sender might be dirty or otherwise malfunctioning.

I would monitor the fuel level vs. miles driven and see if anything seems off. Once gauge goes below 1/2 tank, you're on the left sender only and the numbers should make sense.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 PM
riverrat68
Racer

Jerry again from Roseeburg. Would only take 1/2 tank. Tried techron. Took it to the dealer in town to have him check gauge, or anything that might be causing it. When I went back later he said I got good news and bad. If we have to tke out sending unit , drop tank etc, it would be , with time etc, about 2 K....and the good news? The hose that lets the pressure out when you were filling the tank, was kinked. time and material $110... YEAH!!!
and it worked, too.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Jerry again from Roseeburg. Would only take 1/2 tank. Tried techron. Took it to the dealer in town to have him check gauge, or anything that might be causing it. When I went back later he said I got good news and bad. If we have to tke out sending unit , drop tank etc, it would be , with time etc, about 2 K....and the good news? The hose that lets the pressure out when you were filling the tank, was kinked. time and material $110... YEAH!!!
and it worked, too.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:08 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

and it worked, too.

Get notified of new replies

To The gas gage issue

Quick Reply: The gas gage issue