C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 05 LS2 C6 MN6: Best 1/4 mile techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:51 AM
JaimeVrod
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock 05 LS2 C6 MN6: Best 1/4 mile techniques?

I'm new to the C6 and I want to go to the drag strip this weekend to baseline my car. Can someone tell me the best launch and shift techniques to lay down some low ETs?

My car is basically stock. It has a Borla cat back muffler set up and a CAI with factory Eagle F1 supercar run flat tires. I don't think the car has ever received a tune.

What rpm should I launch at and what rpm should I make my shifts?

Should traction control and stability control be on or should I be in Competitive Driving mode?

Recommendations on front and rear tire pressures?

I'd appreciate all they help I can get.

I am aware that track officials might not let me pass inspection due to the removable roof, but that is a different issue for a different thread.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 AM
D.Guerra
Instructor

Don't do the burn out and if you do stop if you have wheel hop. You'll break an axle. Learn your car for launch to get the least to no wheel spin at take off. Mine is set up to shift at exactly 6500 thanks to the tune. If you go to slicks or sticky tires on those axles they'll break.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
JaimeVrod
Pro

Originally Posted by D.Guerra
Don't do the burn out and if you do stop if you have wheel hop. You'll break an axle. Learn your car for launch to get the least to no wheel spin at take off. Mine is set up to shift at exactly 6500 thanks to the tune. If you go to slicks or sticky tires on those axles they'll break.
Thanks for the advice DG. If this car has wheel hop and it can't be resolved inexpensively, I'll sell the car bcs that would be a huge disappointment. I've never heard of a Vette having wheel hop. It's also hard to believe GM would make an axle that couldn't handle the stock torque but I'll play it safe on my launch.

Any other advise guys? You don't want my Vette to get beat by a mustang or a challenger, do you?
Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JaimeVrod
Thanks for the advice DG. If this car has wheel hop and it can't be resolved inexpensively, I'll sell the car bcs that would be a huge disappointment. I've never heard of a Vette having wheel hop. It's also hard to believe GM would make an axle that couldn't handle the stock torque but I'll play it safe on my launch.

Any other advise guys? You don't want my Vette to get beat by a mustang or a challenger, do you?
You might as well put it up for sale now then. The C6 definitely has wheel hop. You said you're new to the C6 so spend some time on here searching for threads about snapped axles and broken rears.

Unfortunately you have an '05, the weakest of the C6 rears, a 6sp manual, and no experience launching these cars. That's a recipe for a short and expensive night at the track. If you're just going for fun and to learn, launch off idle and slowly start raising the launch RPMs on each consecutive pass until you start to get comfortable. Then play around with launch RPMs until you start seeing a reduction in ET. But if you get even the slightest amount of wheel hop, even after you launch, (the 1-2 shift) get out of it. Let the Mustangs and Challengers win. It's not worth the tow ride home.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by JaimeVrod
If this car has wheel hop and it can't be resolved inexpensively, I'll sell the car bcs that would be a huge disappointment. I've never heard of a Vette having wheel hop.
Better get the for sale sign ready.. they all do it. IRS.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:47 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Don't take all this the wrong way. It's not as if you're rear is suddenly going to just explode because you get on it a little hard. You just have to be aware of it's weaknesses. Overzealousness and inexperience is always a recipe for disaster. If you want to play at the track, do it with no ego. Learn the car so you can have many years and miles of enjoyment. Then as you start to improve, you can begin modding the things that are holding you back. Dif, tires, HP, etc. The C6 is a great car, you just have to understand it's limitations along with your own.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 PM
D.Guerra
Instructor

I remember my LS1 Z28 had lots of wheel hop until I ground that bitch to the pavement with suspension parts. It cost a few bills but I ended up upgrading gear set too so it worked out I guess. The 17x11s and 315/35/17s didn't help either. But at 450/460 at the fly, I expected to break a few parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock 05 LS2 C6 MN6: Best 1/4 mile techniques?

Quick Reply: Stock 05 LS2 C6 MN6: Best 1/4 mile techniques?