C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body

Old 04-08-2014, 01:23 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Throttle Body

My friend and I were discussing Corvettes and he stated he read an article written by Chevrolet stating cleaning the throttle body is not necessary as the wires get hot every so often and burn any residue on them .This process cleans the throttle body. Does anyone know if this is correct and if you have any written documentation confirming this.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 AM
Big ol 68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No clean it. The amount of oil blow by build up on it is disgusting if you don't have a catch can. It helps with throttle response a little if you keep it clean.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default MAF (mass air flow) sensor.

He or you are confused, that wire heating/burn off cycle has to do with the MAF sensor wire which measures the air flow i.e. by running current through that wire to keep it at a certain temperature, more air flow, than more current to keep it at that temperature. I don't know if the one in the newer vettes do that "burn off cycle" or not (maybe someone here knows); however cleaning the throttle body is a completely different issue.

PS: The parts stores do carry a "MAF" spray cleaner that is made/safe to use to clean that MAF sensor/wire. I used it after about 10,000 miles on the car when I took the air intake assembly off to do some tinkering. My thinking was the cleaner the wire in the sensor than the more accurate the AFR will be. If that is all you want to do than just pull the sensor out of the assembly.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-09-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:12 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I will take the advice and clean the throttle body periodically. Rod
Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you clean it? I heard you're NEVER supposed to touch the blade. Is this true?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 AM
chevyguy3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Touching the blade won't hurt it.

As far as the MAF, no matter what the engineers say they need cleaned eventually especially if you are running an oiled air filter. I have worked on lots of cars that were running like crap due to a dirty MAF, less than 5 minutes to clean them and they ran like new.

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Body

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Body