C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Zone brake pads on 2012 Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:27 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auto Zone brake pads on 2012 Grand Sport

I'm switching from the GM pads to the Auto Zone Duralast Gold ceramic pads because of the brake squeal during slow stops. My car is a non-tracked daily driver.

According to the owner's manual, pg 10-40, the Grand Sport has a pad wear sensor system that will display a "change brake pads" message on the Driver Info Center when the pads are shot. Will that still work with the non GM pads?

Not really a big deal as long as the Auto Zone pads have wear indicators that produce a warning sound but I'm not sure they do.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSeeSix
I'm switching from the GM pads to the Auto Zone Duralast Gold ceramic pads because of the brake squeal during slow stops. My car is a non-tracked daily driver.

According to the owner's manual, pg 10-40, the Grand Sport has a pad wear sensor system that will display a "change brake pads" message on the Driver Info Center when the pads are shot. Will that still work with the non GM pads?

Not really a big deal as long as the Auto Zone pads have wear indicators that produce a warning sound but I'm not sure they do.

Any thoughts?
I am getting ready to do a Z06\GS conversion on my base C6 and just had these exact pads delivered to my house today. When I get home, I will look and take a picture for you if no one has the answer between now and then...

Boxes with part numbers:

Wear indicators:

Individual pucks:

All pucks are individually wrapped- look very nice/well made with squeak backing material all ready applied.

Note: not all pucks have the mechanical wear scraper on them (for the lack of a better term) so I guess you have to orient the ones that have them on the ends?

Hope this helps!

Last edited by byte_me; 03-21-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Eric ray
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them on mine, and no (very little) dust, no noise, no problems,
Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Any thoughts?
You already bought them?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 PM
BAKnBLK2010
Instructor

I put them on mine about two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. On the pads with the wear indicator you simply put them where your original pad with the indicator was. You will see when you go to change them.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

I'm not putting them on myself because it's too hard to lift the car. I would imagine the AZ's have the usual high pitch wear detectors.

I'm wondering how the OEM pad wear detector works. How does it send a signal to the DIC?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Through your ears

I put these on my Grand Sport Sunday before last. 125 miles and no dust no squeal:
My Install Pictures Start Here.

Last edited by jsucraig; 03-22-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:33 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I
According to the owner's manual, pg 10-40, the Grand Sport has a pad wear sensor system that will display a "change brake pads" message on the Driver Info Center when the pads are shot.
Totally false. Has the basic wear indicators that squeal and that's it.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:42 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Getting the AZ Duralast Gold Ceramic padlets put on all four corners tomorrow. One last question. Should I bed the pads right away or take it easy on them? I can't find any guidance from AutoZone. Seem like some manufacturers recommend easy break in and others suggest burnishing. I'm keeping the old rotors but having them turned.

Thanks.

Last edited by RedSeeSix; 03-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

The cheapest way to control the squeal is to use the brakes harder. Don't stop like your grandmother taught you. Don't use the brakes until you are closer to whatever you are slowing of stopping for. When you do use them push the pedal harder to stop within the reduced distance. If they still squeal go a little deeper before hitting the brake and push harder. By the way good brakes squeal.

ZR1s and Z07 optioned cars with the Ceramic Rotors come with pad wear sensors that have a DIC display. GSs, Z06s without Z07 and base cars just have mechanical scrapers.

Bill
Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The cheapest way to control the squeal is to use the brakes harder. Don't stop like your grandmother taught you. Don't use the brakes until you are closer to whatever you are slowing of stopping for. When you do use them push the pedal harder to stop within the reduced distance. If they still squeal go a little deeper before hitting the brake and push harder. By the way good brakes squeal.

Bill
I know that good brakes squeal and I knew that when I bought the car. You are correct that my GS brakes don't squeal if you brake hard but that's just not practical at every neighborhood stop sign that I go through daily or in normal traffic. I'll just go to a little less agressive pad and make grandma stops on occasion without sounding like an old school bus.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

My OEM Brakes on my Grand Sport must have sucked because they never squealed and my Duralast Gold Ceramics must suck too because they don't squeal either. My 2006 Coupe with OEM brakes must have had the best brakes in the industry because they squealed like a banshee the whole time I had it from 5,000 miles to 11,000 miles.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 PM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Originally Posted by jsucraig
My OEM Brakes on my Grand Sport must have sucked because they never squealed and my Duralast Gold Ceramics must suck too because they don't squeal either. My 2006 Coupe with OEM brakes must have had the best brakes in the industry because they squealed like a banshee the whole time I had it from 5,000 miles to 11,000 miles.
I'm going to go ahead and bed mine tomorrow and hope they suck for years.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

I used my Duralast Golds just enough to get to the spot that I was going to bed them. Bedded them and went about my marry way. Good Luck OP and don't forget to let them cool down a little before using them too much. If you read my post in the other thread you saw where mine squealed a little until I got back home and let them properly cool down. Now no squeal.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 PM
RT2SJB
Pro

Default process

What is the bedding process and how is it done?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

The Duralast Gold set did not come with an Instructional Procedure for bedding as some brake paddletts and pads do. I used a standard 30-0 hard braking and 60-0 hard braking burnish procedure that was called out for the ceramic pads that I put on my 99 Camaro. This is also relatively close to the same procedure we use on the small aircraft that I work on.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jsucraig
huh??

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Zone brake pads on 2012 Grand Sport

Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ZR1s and Z07 optioned cars with the Ceramic Rotors come with pad wear sensors that have a DIC display. GSs, Z06s without Z07 and base cars just have mechanical scrapers.

Bill

i dont know if this is good advice....i know this might solve the noise pblm but it surely doesnt sound like a safe way to stop in a DD.....i had the Z51 brakes and changed to ceramic - pblm solved.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 AM
RedSeeSix
Advanced

Originally Posted by veloz
i dont know if this is good advice....i know this might solve the noise pblm but it surely doesnt sound like a safe way to stop in a DD.....i had the Z51 brakes and changed to ceramic - pblm solved.
Got my AZ pads installed yesterday. No more squeal when I granny stop.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by veloz
huh??
I was being sarcastic in response to the Bill Dearborn comment that all good brakes squeal. Highlighted in RED below

Quick Reply: Auto Zone brake pads on 2012 Grand Sport