C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement C6 Mechanical Water Pump Fact Finding

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Replacement C6 Mechanical Water Pump Fact Finding

This is what I have found.

1. OEM shaft seal material is unknown. Search in this or Ls1tech forum revealed an ugly picture, dotted with early seepage from weep hole and longevity is pick of the straws.

2. Edelbrock shaft seal is teflon, but once leak is developed, have to change out with replacement cartridge, which is half the cost of the complete pump w/alloy pulley. IMO, aside from impeller design is lacking, my experience with teflon using as shaft seal in this application is a certain doom - reason they have the $170 replacement cartridge, separate at the ready is proof.

3. Evans use ceramic for shaft seal, weep hole plugged, equalized both port to ensure #7 & 8 cylinder to have equal flow, impeller has long cast in spiral to generate high flow and such.

**Although I had one in my previous SB, had over 50K original miles before Evans. Accumulated over 140K miles/13 years on top, before donated to Kidney Foundation and all without an hiccup. But unlike the LS alloy version, pump had cast iron oem body with Evans internals.

Please contribute if had first hand experience. How cheap brand X can be had is not a factor in this fact finding quest! .

Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 PM
1987LC2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory water pump in my '06 Ls2 lasted 104k miles without issue.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

"longevity is pick of the straws."

Our 2009 LS3 had the pump replaced at around 35k miles, leaking badly.
Others go for 200k, and have no problem.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I was also looking at the Edelbrock for ll the wrong reasons (looks, powder coat the part that bolts to the engine) and concluded the same thing you did that the seal will not live.

Curious to see what you find out, the Evans pump also comes in black and appears to be a high quality piece, but don't have any experience with it.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by timd38
I was also looking at the Edelbrock for ll the wrong reasons (looks, powder coat the part that bolts to the engine) and concluded the same thing you did that the seal will not live.

Curious to see what you find out, the Evans pump also comes in black and appears to be a high quality piece, but don't have any experience with it.
Tim, you might like Evans aside from the performance perspective with their turbine like impeller, ceramic shaft seals and such. They also offer ceramic coat (both internal/external) or powder coat external to your choice of color shade.

I called Evans direct, spoke to Tom - he is one very knowledgeable hot rod die hard. Learned a bunch from him! Turned out one of their dealers, a non supporting vendor, charges $20 more for the same dropped ship pump. I ended up ordered direct.

Evans can tailor made pump for end use purpose out of their American cast alloy body, thus without the porosity issue with those from off shore. I choose stock configuration with their modified 106* thermostat.

Mahalo, I appreciate for the inputs guys!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:07 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Good! Lots of junk water pumps out there. I think I will order one to keep on the shelve. I don't ever plan to sell the car, so it will get used.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Replaced the original at 30K due to seal leak. I replaced it with another OEM pump, and this one has 25K on it without any issues so far.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'm only at 116K on my original, so I must have a long straw.

I bought a bunch of parts that were OEM takeoffs from a crate motor that was being built. I had planned to keep the water pump for a replacement when mine died, but it's for a '09 and newer. It's for sale if anyone needs it.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Interesting thread: plz mention what the Evans pump might cost (even if it's in a range of cost) as a stock replacement unit. A few years back, Shopdog posted that for an LS2 the stock pump from a forum vendor was around $185. Presume it's about the same for an LS3.

BTW, what is the difference in pumps from '09 model to prior years?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Whatever you do, stay away from the local parts store replacements. I know far too many supercharged people that had their pulleys slide off the shafts with these.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
Whatever you do, stay away from the local parts store replacements. I know far too many supercharged people that had their pulleys slide off the shafts with these.
What kind do you recommend?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

What kind do you recommend?
My only personal experience has been with Delco, Autozone/Oreilly's generics and Meziere. I had nothing but trouble from the generics and I prefer the Meziere. When I was working to tackle the elevated coolant temps in the Texas summer heat, I had done everything that I could think of at the time, including playing with my coolant/water mixture, adding surfactants like Water Wetter" and Dewitt's cut down radiator & fans and was still unhappy with the result. Changing water pumps to the Meziere lowered my coolant temps by 15°. If a person is road racing, the Meziere may not be for you (not saying it's not, but not sure), but for my street driving and occasional bursts to 180+mph, the Meziere has been the ticket.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by AORoads
Interesting thread: plz mention what the Evans pump might cost (even if it's in a range of cost) as a stock replacement unit. A few years back, Shopdog posted that for an LS2 the stock pump from a forum vendor was around $185. Presume it's about the same for an LS3.

Evans is $369 direct, + $169 for the pulley + $40 for their modified thermostat w/housing. In addition ceramic or powder coat and such will add up. IMO, justification is based on - its your car, do what you like.

BTW, what is the difference in pumps from '09 model to prior years?
No first hand experience. Maybe HOXXH can better help out with an answer and he has one for sale.

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56
My only personal experience has been with Delco, Autozone/Oreilly's generics and Meziere. I had nothing but trouble from the generics and I prefer the Meziere. When I was working to tackle the elevated coolant temps in the Texas summer heat, I had done everything that I could think of at the time, including playing with my coolant/water mixture, adding surfactants like Water Wetter" and Dewitt's cut down radiator & fans and was still unhappy with the result. Changing water pumps to the Meziere lowered my coolant temps by 15°. If a person is road racing, the Meziere may not be for you (not saying it's not, but not sure), but for my street driving and occasional bursts to 180+mph, the Meziere has been the ticket.
Greetings Bret!

As the title at the beginning of this post "Replacement C6 Mechanical Water Pump Fact Finding" - since I am well aware in electric pump's attributes/limitations and not interested for my application.

Meziere electric type has its place certainly, especially drag racing. Simple fact is - coolant can circulate independently without engine running! Other than that, limitation on electric motor longevity, along with limited flow rates are just a couple of flaws among many.

All in all, what I came away with in Mechanical coolant pump selection is getting away from the weak common denominator - SHAFT SEAL - among the most common mechanical brands. That is aside from most brands don't address equal flow rate from both port; #7 & 8 being the rear cylinders, they suffered most from inability to shed the destructiveness of engine heat due to poor flow.

I do appreciate, ceramic's mechanical property, attribute to hardness, ability/longevity to maintain dimensional stability/accuracy; for use in the application of shaft seal and as high speed bearing exposed to environment where no lubrication is used or can survived in an continuous production environment.

Maybe there are others, but I can only find Evans using ceramic for shaft seal.

And Bret, an inside joke! Evans can tell me what size/type bearing they used for their pump shaft support!

Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks for the approximate prices, VictorF. Appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:00 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I'm only at 116K on my original, so I must have a long straw.

I bought a bunch of parts that were OEM takeoffs from a crate motor that was being built. I had planned to keep the water pump for a replacement when mine died, but it's for a '09 and newer. It's for sale if anyone needs it.
The '09up pump fits perfect on the 05-08 cars.

New upper hose will be needed.

I have one on my 2007.

FIRST C7 IN THE 9's....ARH Equipped.

631-608-1986 ext. 101

Email: steve@americanracingheaders.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/americanracingheaders
Web: www.AmericanRacingHeaders.com
USAF/OIF VETERAN
Old 03-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

My pump went out at 20k miles. I have an 08.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:34 PM
victorf
Drifting

Default Update.

Nothing wrong with my OEM, not leaking yet, just don't like the seal. Decided on the Evans. I modified and lighten the stout T6 pulley - along with ARPs to replace all OEMs:

Already de-burred and flushed. Waiting for the anaerobic flange sealant, in conjunction to the "O" ring for the thermostat housing, from the site with Free Super Saver shipping prior to install - expected 4/18 delivery.

Also waiting for parts from a company in Albany N.Y. with Small Flat Rate Box shipping - expected 4/18 to buttoned up the Billet-Tech alternator's front cover change out.

Unlike a recent bad experience from one forum supporting vendor with an ludicrous and dishonest shipping charge, it sure is refreshing to deal with fair and square shipping from honest vendors.

Car is going up ready for parts to be installed:

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement C6 Mechanical Water Pump Fact Finding

Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by victorf
Nothing wrong with my OEM, not leaking yet, just don't like the seal. Decided on the Evans. I modified and lighten the stout T6 pulley - along with ARPs to replace all OEMs:

Already de-burred and flushed. Waiting for the anaerobic flange sealant, in conjunction to the "O" ring for the thermostat housing, from the site with Free Super Saver shipping prior to install - expected 4/18 delivery.

Also waiting for parts from a company in Albany N.Y. with Small Flat Rate Box shipping - expected 4/18 to buttoned up the Billet-Tech alternator's front cover change out.

Unlike a recent bad experience from one forum supporting vendor with an ludicrous and dishonest shipping charge, it sure is refreshing to deal with fair and square shipping from honest vendors.

Car is going up ready for parts to be installed:

What did they do to modify the thermostat?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Did you get the new alternator cover to eliminate the ground cables?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM
victorf
Drifting

Did you get the new alternator cover to eliminate the ground cables?
PM'ed!

Quick Reply: Replacement C6 Mechanical Water Pump Fact Finding