C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Default A4 trans flush

Anyone ever had it done? Did it survive?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

IMO, you should follow your own (kind of) advice from this discussion:

Just drop the pan and change the filter.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...on-issues.html

To be more thorough, it could be done twice, 6 months apart.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I know I said that and have always believed it since that bad experience I had. I told the SA what happened with my past car and how concerned I was about the flush and he assured me it was safe and he would do it to his car. I asked if they could just drop the pan and replace whats in there and he was against it since the torque conv would still be full (I knew that).
Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 PM
EVRose
Race Director

The car shifts fine. Two times though I was pulling into my driveway at a right turn angle and it was slipping and had a hard time going up the driveway. When I got in there I could smell trans fluid burning. Took it back out and everything acted normal. No CEL and no slipping. Only that one spot going up the driveway it slipped. I'm thinking maybe the fluid may just be low.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
The car shifts fine. Two times though I was pulling into my driveway at a right turn angle and it was slipping and had a hard time going up the driveway. When I got in there I could smell trans fluid burning. Took it back out and everything acted normal. No CEL and no slipping. Only that one spot going up the driveway it slipped. I'm thinking maybe the fluid may just be low.
the only problem is that the filter doesn't get changed (usually)
I got a pan with a plug so I can drain and refill easily.
Make sure the trans is up to temp and the car is level when you pull the over flow plug. then next time measure what comes out the drain then just put that back in my case it was 4.5 qts the book says 6.5 then warm up and let out the excess that was 2 qts a $9.99 per
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Thanks for the info but I wont be doing any trans work. It will be done at the dealer.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

so...is there a replacement filter that can be accesses by dropping the pan? i would not do the flush. i would drain the fluid and replace the filter (if replaceable) then do this again after ~500 miles. i just don't trust the flushes as i've heard too many horror stories.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Thanks for the info but I wont be doing any trans work. It will be done at the dealer.
Ok then just getr done
Old 03-20-2014, 09:33 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
so...is there a replacement filter that can be accesses by dropping the pan? i would not do the flush. i would drain the fluid and replace the filter (if replaceable) then do this again after ~500 miles. i just don't trust the flushes as i've heard too many horror stories.
yes, there are the filter just pulls down & out there is an o ring which might stay in the trans if so just pull it out with a pick and put in the new one that comes with the filter put a bit of trans fluid on it before installing it usually the easiest way is to put the o ring on the filter and just put the whole thing back.
best to use the new Dexron VI also
I had to loosen the trans mounts and jack it up a bit to get the back pan bolts out. just use a block of wood between the pan & the jack.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
yes, there are the filter just pulls down & out there is an o ring which might stay in the trans if so just pull it out with a pick and put in the new one that comes with the filter put a bit of trans fluid on it before installing it usually the easiest way is to put the o ring on the filter and just put the whole thing back.
best to use the new Dexron VI also
I had to loosen the trans mounts and jack it up a bit to get the back pan bolts out. just use a block of wood between the pan & the jack.
great...thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Ok I got the trans flush. On the way home I could tell it was shifting very well and felt good. I get to my driveway and turn right up the incline and it starts slipping again. I dont get it. This doesnt happen anywhere else. What else could be happening? I havent checked the axle nuts yet to see if their loose and I dont know if my symptom could be caused by that.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So if it is an A4, that means the car is 9 years old and you have never changed fluid?

Sounds to me like a hand grenade with the pin pulled.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My logic tells me it's not the axle nuts causing the trans to sound like it's slipping going up the incline of your driveway. Why it is shifting better, or crisper on level ground? All I can think of is the fluid itself is cleaner and that is helping the trans. Still, it might just be the trans is about ready for a "tune," which translates to you-know-what. I hope not, but .....
Old 03-20-2014, 03:34 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by timd38
So if it is an A4, that means the car is 9 years old and you have never changed fluid?

Sounds to me like a hand grenade with the pin pulled.
I haven't had it nine years I've only had it 3-1/2. The OM says it should be changed at 50K miles and thats for severe service. It has 50K miles. For normal service it says 100K miles.

Last edited by EVRose; 03-20-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:51 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

did you ever check the rear, the additive, try new gear oil with the additive and add another bottle of additive, why would it only do it on the turn in the driveway, the trans wouldnt, the rear would
Old 03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I haven't had it nine years I've only had it 3-1/2. The OM says it should be changed at 50K miles and thats for severe service. It has 50K miles. For normal service it says 100K miles.
Good! I change all my drivers at 36k just to be safe, but my retirement job is work for an oil company....
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
did you ever check the rear, the additive, try new gear oil with the additive and add another bottle of additive, why would it only do it on the turn in the driveway, the trans wouldnt, the rear would
That does sound more likely but I'd add or not add whatever is the current fluid. From what I recall, they (GM) have redesigned the rear axle fluid twice (meaning, a total of three different fluids) and the newest fluid now does not require any additive. The one before did require it, as did I think the original.

Get notified of new replies

To A4 trans flush

Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by AORoads
That does sound more likely but I'd add or not add whatever is the current fluid. From what I recall, they (GM) have redesigned the rear axle fluid twice (meaning, a total of three different fluids) and the newest fluid now does not require any additive. The one before did require it, as did I think the original.
I changed my fluid to Red Line at 1,000 miles and never had an issue with the diff.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:19 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Thats next on the list. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever had happen and it just started a week ago. Turn left into the driveway is no problem. Turn right into the driveway and it struggles. The only difference being the angle.

Originally Posted by AORoads
That's my understanding too. The latest is the greatest (or so they say).
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thats next on the list. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever had happen and it just started a week ago. Turn left into the driveway is no problem. Turn right into the driveway and it struggles. The only difference being the angle.

That's my understanding too. The latest is the greatest (or so they say).
I was having a similar problem, I changed and added the additive, the gear oil had it in it, i was having some noise dealer switched to the new like the tsb said, then i noticed the pep leg burnouts, put the additive in and no more single wheel burnouts, had the rear serviced with the 2010 2nd generation case swapped my dif and gears, it did it again with the newest gear oil, i added it again, i believe they came up with a quick fix so the limited slip wouldnt work and no more clutch noise.

Quick Reply: A4 trans flush