C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem! Wheels spinning in tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM
CasperDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem! Wheels spinning in tire

I have a "little" problem. I had a suspicion my wheels may be spinning within my wheels and have now confirmed. I have read a few articles on the net, one particularly interesting related to the 2014 Camaro and it's LS7 engine. I have found the following solutions........

1. Running screw through wheel into tire - Ouch! No way!
2. GM engineers found the problem in the 2014 Camaro Z28, used media blast to abrade the interior of the wheel.
3. Apply antiskid paint to inside of wheel.
4. Minimize tire lube (I think it dries after a few days so shouldnt matter).
5. Apply hairspray to inside of wheel.

Rather than doing something permanent I will first try 3M #510 antiskid conformable tape applied to catch the bottom edge of the tire bead but not to interfere with the seal, will place on both sides.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I dont think it matters however I run Nitto 555R 18" tires on 1 piece Forgelines.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,953 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

If it were me, I'd talk to Forgeline and possibly TireRack as well for suggestions. And while I'd clean off both tire and wheel with some solvent, I might very lightly sand both (which you suggest doing). There is also some kind of "glue" that tire/wheel places have been known to use to seal tires to wheels (I've had it used a long time ago on my tires on a different car), but I can't recall the brand name. Just found this: "bead sealer" is the term/generic name. http://www.autos.com/car-maintenance...-tire-on-a-rim
Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM
CasperDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
If it were me, I'd talk to Forgeline and possibly TireRack as well for suggestions. And while I'd clean off both tire and wheel with some solvent, I might very lightly sand both (which you suggest doing). There is also some kind of "glue" that tire/wheel places have been known to use to seal tires to wheels (I've had it used a long time ago on my tires on a different car), but I can't recall the brand name. Just found this: "bead sealer" is the term/generic name. http://www.autos.com/car-maintenance...-tire-on-a-rim
Thank you!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Jeffro_510
Burning Brakes

Another popular thing to do is get Permatex High Tack, when installing the tires, they brush it along both beads. Its basically a non-permanent glue, that appears to work very well. I did it to my race wheels, inside and outside beads. If I can ever cut a good 60', i will let you know hoe it holds up, lol
Old 03-17-2014, 07:03 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You could always do what Kawasaki did for the 500 H1.

Mechanical bolt in clamps on the rear wheel. Lots of fun mounting a tube type tire on a spoked wheel with bead clamps. First tire change cost me $20.00 since that's what was advertized, next change was $70.00 (took over an hour with 2 people).
Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM
CasperDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeffro_510
Another popular thing to do is get Permatex High Tack, when installing the tires, they brush it along both beads. Its basically a non-permanent glue, that appears to work very well. I did it to my race wheels, inside and outside beads. If I can ever cut a good 60', i will let you know hoe it holds up, lol
Thanks Jeffro - good information. I am not aware of HT but will take a look. I like the "non-permanent" spec.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 PM
CasperDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by haljensen
You could always do what Kawasaki did for the 500 H1.

Mechanical bolt in clamps on the rear wheel. Lots of fun mounting a tube type tire on a spoked wheel with bead clamps. First tire change cost me $20.00 since that's what was advertized, next change was $70.00 (took over an hour with 2 people).
Funny, I have bead locks on my Jeep, it is a major job to swap tires.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:15 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth , I've used Moroso rim screws for decades. For a street car ,you would only need 4 holes every 90 degrees on the back side of your wheel. You can do this with the tires mounted and cure any tire slip. Drill the wheel the diameter of the screw ;when you hit the bead , change your drill bit to half the diameter and drill just a starting hole for the screw to grab into. It takes some effort with a ratchet and socket on the screw to penetrate the bead ; but your worries are over.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem! Wheels spinning in tire

Quick Reply: Problem! Wheels spinning in tire