C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasonable Expectation - A6 shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Reasonable Expectation - A6 shifting

So I've had my car tuned with a built transmission and never have had any luck. My shifting pretty much sucks (07 C6)

What should be expected as far as shift speeds on hard part-throttle acceleration? Does anyone have timed shift speeds recorded to give input?

Is it possible to vary shift speeds/shift pressures between modes? (D vs S vs paddles...or something?)

I'm going back in for ANOTHER retune on this thing because upshifts feel painfully slow and downshifts hunt for gears resulting in multiple revs before actually getting into a gear and going.

Right now my car is the weakest shifting car I own between and SRT8 jeep and SRT8 charger. Both hit gears harder and faster than this 550rwhp corvette with a built trans. It's sad and pretty frustrating.

My brother's 5.0 with just a trinity tuner shifts wonderfully. Revs up and immediately drops down and hits the next gear with no delay.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

1) Have your bother "unload" his DiabloSport trinity tune i.e. put his car "back to stock", so his tuner is now "unlocked" for use on another car.

2) Than load the trinity "corvette" tune into your car. It has transmission tuning in it too! but "I" would just load the "canned" DiabloSport (93 or 91 octane) tune to start with (it's all I use) see how it runs and than take it from there. You can also adjust some fueling and timing tables with the tuner too on your own. When your done experimenting unload the tune i.e. put yours "back to stock" and give your bother his tuner back so he can reload his tune. If you like the results than go out and buy an "intune" or a "trinity" tuner for yourself. You know they have custom tuners here for the DiabloSport tuners that can do a tune over the net for what your running with further tweeting if necessary.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-14-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I disagree with the above advice. I don't know who is doing the tuning, but it needs to be done right. With a built trans, pressures may need to be changed depending on the clutch set up. There is no reason a 6L80 shouldn't shift great. I tune my own now, but am far from an expert. I would deal with someone who really knows that stuff.

Who build the trans, and what was done to it ?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Definitely not loading a trinity tune into my car making 550rwhp, lol. If I could load ONLY the transmission portion I would try it, and had considered doing that if possible. And actually I was mistaken, it's the Diablosport InTune, not Trinity that he uses.

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I disagree with the above advice. I don't know who is doing the tuning, but it needs to be done right. With a built trans, pressures may need to be changed depending on the clutch set up. There is no reason a 6L80 shouldn't shift great. I tune my own now, but am far from an expert. I would deal with someone who really knows that stuff.

Who build the trans, and what was done to it ?
ARD here in Houston. They have built a lot of transmissions for big horsepower Camaro's in the area.

Honestly have no idea what exactly was done to it.

I'm scheduled to go back in for the 3rd retune on this thing and really don't feel like I'm asking for the world. Just want fast upshifts and confident downshifts.

Does anyone know what kind of shift-time I should be seeing when we scan it during the tuning? I would think it should be approaching pretty close to .100? Right now it feels like it's grandma shifting even when it grabs at 4500-5000 under fairly heavy throttle. I dont care at all about WOT because it's pretty much unusable power on the street with street tires already.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I don't log the shift time, but I see when it starts and when it completes. This is the tricky part in the tuning. You wont get a shift at .100. The clutch system in these trannies need more time since they release one, and then apply the other. My shift times are set near .300 mostly. There are many tables that contribute to that.
Do you have HPT yourself ? If so I would like to see that tune. Maybe I can offer some help. Also sending you a PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:42 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

I don't have HP tuners myself, although at this point I wish I did. I had it previously for other vehicles.

I can try and get a copy of the tune either way though.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Kraz8s
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Have someone else tune that thing for you. None of that sounds right. I had my tuner play around with my tune the other day and the fastest shift we logged was about .15 3rd to 4th at about 50% throttle.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Kraz8s
Have someone else tune that thing for you. None of that sounds right. I had my tuner play around with my tune the other day and the fastest shift we logged was about .15 3rd to 4th at about 50% throttle.
The shift time pid might show that, but if you log the gear itself, the time from when the shift starts, to when it completes... is longer.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kraz8s
Well that's the next step, if it gets to that.

I need to let these guys try and fix their problem first.

Get notified of new replies

To Reasonable Expectation - A6 shifting

Quick Reply: Reasonable Expectation - A6 shifting