C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since GM got caught ignoring the Cobalt issue now is the time to act

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:49 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Since GM got caught ignoring the Cobalt issue now is the time to act

GM is on the hot seat with the Cobalt issue so now would be a good time to bring the check air bag issue up. If you haven't already read the following letter where GM is very aware about the problem and has no plans on fixing it now would be a good time to read it and file a complaint with the NHTSA.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

Hi Les,

I am sorry that it has taken me sometime to get back to you about your air bag light, I had to speak with internal resources.

The air bag light concern is caused by the seat belt connector under the drivers seat coming loose. There was a change made in 2008 that moved the connector that helps some but did not completely remedy it. It can also be seen in fewer numbers in 2008 – 2010. It was driven by the connector being placed directly under the seat cushion. When a customer uses easy exit or memory so the seat moves at each door opening it will work the connector loose over time. The fix was to attach it to the seat frame so it did not get drug across the bottom of the carpet. In 2008 they made the wire a little longer to move the connector out of the way. I am not aware of any discussion for a recall or customer satisfaction action because it was self-declaring.

I am sorry this is not the resolution that you wished for on this matter. I did look into the concern and I did speak with the appropriate departments. I am sorry to be the one to bring you this news. I do thank you for being diligent in reaching out to me.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:58 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It is not a case of if, but when, GM will fix this issue.

Les, you have done a great job at keeping the pressure on GM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by timd38
It is not a case of if, but when, GM will fix this issue.

Les, you have done a great job at keeping the pressure on GM.
Thanks Tim.

It's going to take all of us to get this done. I hope we are successful before someone is hurt or worse.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:06 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

What do you want GM to do about this? From your post, it seems like it wouldn't take much to fix it.

Given all the other things that Corvette people do to make their cars into what they want, it doesn't seem like a connector issue would be that big of a deal.

Nothing leaves the factory perfect in design or manufacture. How widespread is this problem? What proportion of Corvettes are affected? What's the safety issue? Does the car stop running if this connector opens? How hard is it to actually fix?

Steven
Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
What do you want GM to do about this? From your post, it seems like it wouldn't take much to fix it.

Given all the other things that Corvette people do to make their cars into what they want, it doesn't seem like a connector issue would be that big of a deal.

Nothing leaves the factory perfect in design or manufacture. How widespread is this problem? What proportion of Corvettes are affected? What's the safety issue? Does the car stop running if this connector opens? How hard is it to actually fix?

Steven
Your right it won't take much to fix it. A redesigned connector and rerouting the wiring under the seats is all. Yes many of us have zip tied the connector with some luck. Moving the connector also helps. Dealers across the US don't know what to do about it. No Corvette forum member has had a successful fix either under warranty of customer paying the bill. Do a search and you will find many post on the subject. Will the air bag deploy when the check air bag is on? Some members drive with it on all the time. Not all members do their own repair work.

Last edited by VET4LES; 03-01-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

ttt
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I don't see GM or NHTSA doing any more about this. There is a warning light that illuminates if there is any problem with that system. It's no different than a warning light for engine problems. If the light comes on, it becomes the responsibility of the driver to correct the problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Outlaw2013
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTOs are known to catch fire because of the fuel rail covers rubbing through the rubber fuel line on the drivers side.

GM never gave a crap beyond installing some worthless foam on 2006s. In 3k miles, my 2006 already had a partially cut line.

Moral of the story is GM gives two ***** about fixing out dated models post production. Especially something as trite to them as an airbag light.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I don't see GM or NHTSA doing any more about this. There is a warning light that illuminates if there is any problem with that system. It's no different than a warning light for engine problems. If the light comes on, it becomes the responsibility of the driver to correct the problem.
That sounds good. Now if we could come up with a redesigned connector that would hold the connection for more than a few months life would be good. This is a known safety issue that GM is not taking responsibly for. They just took responsibly for 10 or so deaths because of a defective ignition switch that they have known about for 10 years. Their response is they are sorry.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Just splice the wires together problem solved. Takes less time to fix it compared to a complaint and a trip to the dealer. Lol
Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

It happens more often to those who are heavier and that use the easy exit function on a regular basis. Next the same guys will have steering column issues as well from using it as a handle to get out. It will get loose

Get notified of new replies

To Since GM got caught ignoring the Cobalt issue now is the time to act

Quick Reply: Since GM got caught ignoring the Cobalt issue now is the time to act