C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(HELP) Leak from small size hole on transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 PM
sstevens7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (HELP) Leak from small size hole on transmission

See the pics I attached to the thread. Just purchased this 2006 Z06 with 40K miles, everything is perfect EXCEPT for a leak that is leaving my garage floor wet after a drive....about a 3" x 4" spot of tranny fluid.

It only does it when running . Tonight I cleaned off the area by jacking the car up and then took it around my block for a SLOW spin to eliminate blow back from wind. When I got home I jacked up the car and only wet with fluid was coming from this small pin hole about the size of a beebee.

Does anyone know what this small sized whole is?
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 AM
Mr. Corvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slap some jb weld in there and you will be good to go no more leaking!!!! Advice from your local shade tree mechanic!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:51 AM
0Shane@RPMtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That hole is there as a drain/weep hole for when the seal goes bad. The hole allows fluid to drain and prevents it from pushing into the differential and contaminating the diff with the transmission fluid. Unfortunately the rear diff will have to come out and remove the tailhousing off the trans to fix this leak
Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Corvette
slap some jb weld in there and you will be good to go no more leaking!!!! Advice from your local shade tree mechanic!
This is the problem with taking advice from "anyone " on the internet.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 PM
sstevens7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shane@RPMtransmissions
That hole is there as a drain/weep hole for when the seal goes bad. The hole allows fluid to drain and prevents it from pushing into the differential and contaminating the diff with the transmission fluid. Unfortunately the rear diff will have to come out and remove the tailhousing off the trans to fix this leak
Ok so update to this problem.... still leaking. Took it in to have the seals looked at/replaced to stop this leak out of the drain weep hole. After shop got the diff casing off to replace what they thought would be leaking being this "donut" seal, they came to find out the seal and surrounding area was "bone dry" so they said there is no way it was leaking from that seal. They did replace some outer o-ring that they said looked to be pinched in one area. Mechanic did say when putting diff casing back on it kind of "slammed" back together which he said you usually dont want to happen because it could damage the o-ring seal they replaced. Anyway was told to drive it and if the leak still was present then they will continue to diagnose the problem. Drove it like they said, still leaking just as bad as before. Took it back to the shop. Shop emailed me after 2 days of diagnosing and said they lifted the car, cleaned entire area around weep hole and all wet areas, drove it for about 20 miles and put it back on lift to see "small amount" of fluid coming out weep hole at which point they said maybe the diff was over filled causing the leak. I told them to get on the throttle hard for it will leak a lot more then the little leak they got from there drive! It leaks really bad after spirited driving.

My question is, would a diff over fill cause a leak to exit through the weep hole? I'm thinking not for from my reading on other post it will exit through a vent hole on the top side of the diff. What gives?

Maybe when they did put the diff back together they pinched that o-ring causing it to continue to leak? This is a problem going over a month long now with no progress....sucks! Input from anyone here PLEASE!!!!

Last edited by sstevens7; 03-25-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:14 PM
rattyc5z
2nd Gear

Default Solution?

Originally Posted by sstevens7
Ok so update to this problem.... still leaking. Took it in to have the seals looked at/replaced to stop this leak out of the drain weep hole. After shop got the diff casing off to replace what they thought would be leaking being this "donut" seal, they came to find out the seal and surrounding area was "bone dry" so they said there is no way it was leaking from that seal. They did replace some outer o-ring that they said looked to be pinched in one area. Mechanic did say when putting diff casing back on it kind of "slammed" back together which he said you usually dont want to happen because it could damage the o-ring seal they replaced. Anyway was told to drive it and if the leak still was present then they will continue to diagnose the problem. Drove it like they said, still leaking just as bad as before. Took it back to the shop. Shop emailed me after 2 days of diagnosing and said they lifted the car, cleaned entire area around weep hole and all wet areas, drove it for about 20 miles and put it back on lift to see "small amount" of fluid coming out weep hole at which point they said maybe the diff was over filled causing the leak. I told them to get on the throttle hard for it will leak a lot more then the little leak they got from there drive! It leaks really bad after spirited driving.

My question is, would a diff over fill cause a leak to exit through the weep hole? I'm thinking not for from my reading on other post it will exit through a vent hole on the top side of the diff. What gives?

Maybe when they did put the diff back together they pinched that o-ring causing it to continue to leak? This is a problem going over a month long now with no progress....sucks! Input from anyone here PLEASE!!!!
has a solution been found to fix your leak I’m having the same issue
Old 09-07-2023, 09:00 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

That issue is caused by overfilling the transmission. After the overfill leaks out over time it stops leaking. I had the same problem when I changed the fluid. After leaking stopped I checked the level to be sure, it was good. Excess leaked out no more spots on the ground anymore.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:43 PM
rattyc5z
2nd Gear

Default Overfill causes leak?

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
That issue is caused by overfilling the transmission. After the overfill leaks out over time it stops leaking. I had the same problem when I changed the fluid. After leaking stopped I checked the level to be sure, it was good. Excess leaked out no more spots on the ground anymore.
overfilling causes the leak out of my small weep hole on my extension connected to the diff ?

Get notified of new replies

To (HELP) Leak from small size hole on transmission

Quick Reply: (HELP) Leak from small size hole on transmission