C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Coat or not to Coat? Headers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default To Coat or not to Coat? Headers.

Hey now!

I finally bought some Long Tube headers for my C6. I've always wanted LT's ever since owning my first Vette 7 years ago and I finally pulled the trigger. I'm super pumped to get them installed this Spring. However, should I get them ceramic coated? They are stainless steel already, so I don't know if it's worth the extra $ to coat them, other than heat concerns.

What's a reasonable price to pay for coating and what's a good place to get it done.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Get 'em coated.

As far as price and the rest goes- not sure actually. I don't have headers in my 'Vette and I put the ceramics in my '69 Camaro so long ago I don't remember how much I paid for them
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Getting them coated doesn't seem to be a big deal in this forum. I know the guys that are supercharged seem to like them coated, but for NA engines the heat doesn't seem as bad. I do have mine coated, because that's what I wanted, but I bought mine already coated on the inside and out, so I can't give you a price.
No doubt they will be cooler, tho.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM
0FederalPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
Hey now!

I finally bought some Long Tube headers for my C6. I've always wanted LT's ever since owning my first Vette 7 years ago and I finally pulled the trigger. I'm super pumped to get them installed this Spring. However, should I get them ceramic coated? They are stainless steel already, so I don't know if it's worth the extra $ to coat them, other than heat concerns.

What's a reasonable price to pay for coating and what's a good place to get it done.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Its worth it! It literally takes one minute for them to cool down enough to touch after a dyno run. For around 250$ you should go for it!

Matt
Federal Performance
Old 02-24-2014, 01:55 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default I have a before & after result.

What the hell happen here! Seems just yesterday the buzz was don't waste your money getting your SS headers coated with a good ceramic coating.

Well I have a NA (naturally aspirated) engine and decided to have mine coated in silver after running them for a good while, including at the track.

Results: Right off the bat I picked up mph running more fuel and in worst air. My best "ever" before the coating was 122.01 mph and now 122.80 running the same stuff. Even if that did not happen the lower under hood heat made it worth every penny for me. Oh, and the stainless will discolor but a good ceramic won't; keeps that real clean look.

PS: To offer proof of "before & after" with pics and some time slips see: Page 5, Post #99 starts the ceramic coating part.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-american.html

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 02-24-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:38 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My header supplier told me that I was pissing money away having them coated. After being on for two years with no scratches or dings, I had them coated. They jsut look better.

They won't last any longer, but they will look better longer.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Thank you for the responses. I guess I'll have to see if it'll fit in my budget.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I regret not coating mine. But if your headrrs are used, it might be a lot of extra work to clean them first so surface rust and soot aren't trapped under the coating. It's usually best/cheapest to have the vendor coat them.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:28 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
I regret not coating mine. But if your headrrs are used, it might be a lot of extra work to clean them first so surface rust and soot aren't trapped under the coating. It's usually best/cheapest to have the vendor coat them.
I have had used headers coated before and the company that does the coating will do whatever preparation is required for their coating/warranty. I have been told that even new headers may be prep so the coating adheres better.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 PM
SERENITY_NOW
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Coated mine 9 years ago, worth every penny, they look like new.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:45 PM
PassNU
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats it. If you want them to look good down the road, coat them. If you go to the strip and want to squeeze every tenth off your time, coat them. If you drive the car every day, or even just on the weekend and aren't worried specifically about how it looks after years, or getting it on the track…don't waste your money.

I don't know that opinions have changed, just depends on the audience at the time.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Mine aren't coated and I'm happy with them. They are blued now from the heat but look fine to me. If you are not happy with the blue look, spend the money and get them coated. For me, I opted to spend the money on other mods. Pretty much a personal taste decision.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:50 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carbon steel headers: Coat

400 series stainless headers: Coat

300 series stainless headers: Do not coat (or just do for the bling)

Get notified of new replies

To To Coat or not to Coat? Headers.

Quick Reply: To Coat or not to Coat? Headers.