C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'13 grand sport brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Tom
Just ordered mine. add a few items to get your order over $100 and they will send you a $25 gift card. Use code SPRING25 at checkout
Expired, but current Autozone deal: Get 15% Off Plus $10 Gift Card On Online Ship To Home Orders Of $100. Code: WASHNWAX

Just ordered a set.

Last edited by Corvettinator; 07-29-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Big Tom
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsucraig
I took all of the information in this THREAD and applied it to my situation and readily available tools.

Pics:
Jack with Lifting Pad removed:

Crossbeam for front lifting. Modified by removing the safety chains, the inner adjustable arms, the pads, and re-attaching the pads to the bare crossbeam with velcro:

Crossbeam for rear lifting un-modified:

On the ground lifting at the preferred jacking/lifting locations:
I drive the front wheels up onto the wooden ramps.
Chock the rear wheels.
Release the parking brake.
Place ultra cool MZ6 Close Ratio Short Throw Transmission in Neutral.
Roll the jack with the Crossbeam spigot in the spigot on the jack into position.
Lift the front high enough for the wheels to clear the ground.
Install the jack stands under the Crossbeam.
Lower jack.
Go around to the back.
Roll the jack with the Crossbeam spigot in the spigot on the jack into position.
Lift the rear high enough for the wheels to clear the ground.
Install the jack stands under the un-modified Crossbeam.
Lower jack.

Remove wheels while the vehicle is safe and sturdy. VOILA:
So can I assume that you use this combination without securing the crosspiece to the saddle in any way?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Big Tom
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Then used my modified front crossbeam and jack stands on the lifts jack trays

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

What are these Red adapters you have on the Jack Stands and where did you get them?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:32 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Then used my modified front crossbeam and jack stands on the lifts jack trays

[/SIZE]
What are these Red adapters you have on the Jack Stands and where did you get them?[/QUOTE]

The red adapters are jack stand pads for no metal to metal contact. I got them at Harbor Freight as well. They are usually $7.99 a pair, but I think I picked them up with a coupon for $4.99..
Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Default Yes

So can I assume that you use this combination without securing the crosspiece to the saddle in any way?
Correct, the Crossbeam as pictured comes with a longer threaded pin to attach it to the saddle of the jack if you would like, but once the crossbeam is in position and lifting the vehicle the threaded pin cannot be removed. The saddle of the jack has a raised ring for centering the saddle to the standard jack pad and also the crossbeam. The hole in the crossbeam fits securely around the centering ring of the saddle. As soon as I get the vehicle high enough the jack stands go in and the floor jack comes out to do the back of the vette. As soon as I get the back high enough the jack stands go in and the floor jack comes out. I would not under any circumstance leave a hydraulic operated jack without a mechanical lock under anything that I am working on, much less rely on it as the main lifting device not to crush me underneath.

When I lift the Vette on my four post lift I use scissor jacks at the leave in jacking pucks and then shore it up using the crossbeams and jack stands.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 AM
ChrisWantZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Expired, but current Autozone deal: Get 15% Off Plus $10 Gift Card On Online Ship To Home Orders Of $100. Code: WASHNWAX

Just ordered a set.
Thanks. Ordered and delivery supposed to be tomorrow, 8/1.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Installed my Ceramic Duralast Gold's last week. Holy bejesus, so much less dust.

They don't seem to have quite the bite when you first get on them, but they might need some burn-in.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Installed my Ceramic Duralast Gold's last week. Holy bejesus, so much less dust.

They don't seem to have quite the bite when you first get on them, but they might need some burn-in.
After a proper burnishing run they stop at least as well and as fast as OEM.

Quick Reply: '13 grand sport brake dust