C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'13 grand sport brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Three basic questions to answer:
1. How much meat is left on the rotors? Get the spec, put a mic on them and see.
2. What Condition are the rotor faces, ie. stepped, grooved, warped, corroded? Any of these change.
3. How much is turning compared to new? I have heard that turning has gotten really expensive especially in cross-drilled, slotted rotors. Plus you will lose some ability to distribute the heat of braking into a turned rotor as there is less metal to sync heat away.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:36 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

As you can see I'm kind of spoiled when it comes to lifting things to be worked on.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:50 AM
dewilhite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THOMAS ELLIS
I'm washing brake dust off my black wheels after each drive. Major hassle. Looking into swapping out factory pads with EBC REDSTUFF CERAMIC PADS. It looks like they present less dust. Any thoughts?
I installed Hawk single-piece ceramic pads few weeks back and have been very pleased with results. Super brake performance and about zero dust.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Just wanted to add a strong word of caution regarding the cross beam and placement of pads directly on it, the pads can slip off the beam when used on only one end of the car. I highly suggest rotating the pads 90 degrees and mechanically fastening them to the beam instead of using velcro or contact cement.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Big Tom
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsucraig
Front Pads DG1419 12 paddlets $46.99
Rear Pads DG1419A 8 paddlets $37.99
Online only. Don't even go into an Autozone and ask for Corvette Parts, much less Grand Sport/Z06 parts. You will be looked at like you have three eyes and a horn growing out of your forehead.
Just ordered mine. add a few items to get your order over $100 and they will send you a $25 gift card. Use code SPRING25 at checkout
Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 AM
dewilhite
Intermediate

Originally Posted by THOMAS ELLIS
I'm washing brake dust off my black wheels after each drive. Major hassle. Looking into swapping out factory pads with EBC REDSTUFF CERAMIC PADS. It looks like they present less dust. Any thoughts?
I just installed Hawk one-piece ceramic pads on my 2012 GS and have found they completely solve the brake dust problem. I just did a new thread on this tonight but also responded to a couple other threads like yours. I know there are other options being talked about as well, so I am sure you can pick one of them for a clear improvement over the stock pads.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 AM
back into vettes
Intermediate

Default 2013 GS Brake Dust

Just replaced my stock pads with Auto Zone Gold Pads (ceramic) and the dust problem is about 80% gone now, thank god. no noise and front and rears were $96 with tax. If you are not going to track your car this is a cheap solution compared to some other pads. not going to mention any names.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:31 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by back into vettes
Just replaced my stock pads with Auto Zone Gold Pads (ceramic) and the dust problem is about 80% gone now, thank god. no noise and front and rears were $96 with tax. If you are not going to track your car this is a cheap solution compared to some other pads. not going to mention any names.
If you would have been able to blow all of the old brake dust out from the other componenst before putting your wheels back on the dust would be 100% gone.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Big Tom
Instructor

Well, it's three months later. How happy are you with these brake pads?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:18 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Big Tom
Well, it's three months later. How happy are you with these brake pads?
They are awesome! In approximately 3000 miles I have driven to Pigeon Forge Tennessee, the Tail of the Dragon, The Blue Ridge Parkway (2X), a trip to Myrtle Beach for Corvettes at the Beach, around town mileage, and to and from work 100 miles round trip mostly highway many times without having to rinse off the wheels. I have ran the car through the local laser wash to get the bug guts off, but my wheels stay gleaming. With the OEM Pads one trip down the Parkway and they would be purple, along with both sides of the vette. They brake the same if not better than OEM and are quiet. My OEM brakes on the Grand Sport were never noisy. My 2006 Coupe on the other hand were embarrassingly noisy with just at 5500 miles until I traded it in with 11,000.

Last edited by jsucraig; 07-19-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Stupid Auto Correct
Old 07-19-2014, 06:55 PM
back into vettes
Intermediate

Default brakes

had the pads from auto zone for about 3 months and still happy with them, dust is down 80 to 90%, no noise. As I stated before these pads are not for the track, but if you are just doing pleasure drives and just an occasional blast down the road these pads will work for you and you cant beat the price.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Big Tom
Instructor

That's great. I have the pads out in the garage waiting for some cool temps to change them.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 PM
rleem7
Cruising

Default Question?

What brand lift, cost, and assembly? Super job with pictures.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:37 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Eagle GLO-8000 Delivery and Assembly was $500, but Eagle Equipment is in Greensboro, NC and I am in Lynchburg, VA only about 1.5 - 2 hours from dock to garage.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 PM
rleem7
Cruising

Default Thanks

Thanks, Eagle GLO-8000 Delivery and Assembly was $500, but Eagle Equipment is in Greensboro, NC and I am in Lynchburg, VA only about 1.5 - 2 hours from dock to garage.
Thanks;

Need a lift and looking for information about them.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM
ChrisWantZR1
Instructor

Default Must be real popular

Front Pads DG1419 12 paddlets $46.99
Rear Pads DG1419A 8 paddlets $37.99
Online only. Don't even go into an Autozone and ask for Corvette Parts, much less Grand Sport/Z06 parts. You will be looked at like you have three eyes and a horn growing out of your forehead.
DG1419 are now $54.95 DG 1419A also $54.95.
Free Shipping. Must be a good deal and AZ is put the Corvette Tax on them.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChrisWantZR1
DG1419 are now $54.95 DG 1419A also $54.95.
Free Shipping. Must be a good deal and AZ is put the Corvette Tax on them.
Gotta love that lifetime warranty; good thing I got them when they were cheaper.

Get notified of new replies

To '13 grand sport brake dust

Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ended up getting two manual scissor jacks to lift at the front two jacking puck locations, with pucks installed

Then used my modified front crossbeam and jack stands on the lifts jack trays

Lifted the rear with the two manual scissor jacks at the rear two jacking puck locations, with pucks installed

Installed the un-modified rear crossbeam and jack stands

Corvette was successfully lifted on my Eagle GLO-8000 Four-Post Lift. Now I can easily work under and around at my convenience

Off came the wheels

Front pad set. OEM vs Ceramic Duralast Gold

Rear Pad Set. OEM vs Ceramic Duralast Gold

Blew all of the old brake dust out from the rotors and calipers with my compressor. Re-installed the wheels and torqued to 100 ft/lbs. I will re-torque after 100ish miles. I wiped the wheels off with quick detailer and went out to burnish, burn in, or bed the new brakes (whichever terminology you prefer). So far so good. I am driving it to work tomorrow which is 100 miles round trip so I will give you my opinion of braking and wheel condition.

I was originally going to do one caliper by removing the Pad Pin Bolts and the other by removing the Caliper, but it was so easy removing the Pad Pin Bolts that I did all four calipers that way.

Holy crap...the bottom of your car is as clean as my interior..
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Curious, are you guys doing anything short of turning rotors to clean up the surface when swapping out pads? I'm starting to get some visible uneven surface at 16K miles.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:53 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Twowheelin_wildman
Holy crap...the bottom of your car is as clean as my interior..
Thanks, 4400 miles at the time these pictures were taken and she's been driven in the rain too.

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Curious, are you guys doing anything short of turning rotors to clean up the surface when swapping out pads? I'm starting to get some visible uneven surface at 16K miles.
Like I posted earlier I only had 4400 miles on her when I swapped out the brake paddlets so there was no need for any rotor work. If you are getting uneven rotor surfacing then you should probably have them checked out at the least.

Quick Reply: '13 grand sport brake dust