C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 GS Z51 Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:43 AM
racerboy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2013 GS Z51 Calipers

I am going to be changing brake pads and rotors soon and I heard the calipers on the Z06 and GS have floating pistons so when you pull the old pads out and replace with new ones you do not have to use a C clamp to push the piston back in so it is flush. So its just pull the old pads out, replace with the new and slide them back on with no worries of fit around the rotors or fluid bleeding.
Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the new pads are thicker than the old ones you are removing you will have to push the pistons back so the new pads will have enough distance between them to fit over the rotor.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Check the following link below and read below that What type of pad do you plan on using?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ng-rotors.html

Below is from member Carnac.

There are two ways to replace Z06 brake padlets. One is to remove the caliper and the other is to remove the padlet locater pins and pull the padlet out of the top of the caliper.

I've changed pads both ways. If you go with single piece pads instead of padlets, you will have to remove the caliper.

To remove the padlets without removing the caliper, you have to take out at least three of the four pins (per side) on the front and two of the three pins on the rear. My 08 Z06 has Torx head pins (#45 or (#46 if you can find one for a tighter fit) Torx driver). Somewhere GM went from hex to Torx. I think it was in 2007. Some people had problems breaking allen wrenches on the hex pins. The Torx seem better. All new OEM pads come with new Torx pins.

I use a #45 Torx socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet. If the pins have been in for a long time they can be difficult to remove. Once they break free, they turn very easily - so watch your knuckles :-) I make sure that I hold the Torx in all the way and push hard in on the pin as I break the pin free. The same would go for the hex head pins. This helps reduce the chance of rounding off the Torx or hex head.

Once the pins are out, the padlet can be pulled up with a pair of pliers (they have a little tab on the top). I sometimes have to use a broad screwdriver to break the padlet free of the piston (does not take too much pressure - just a bit of a twist on the screwdriver). Be careful about the caliper paint.

There are two ways to allow the brake fluid to be pushed back when you push the pucks in... (1) is to open the master cylinder cap and allow the fluid to push up there (make sure to remove a little fluid if it is full at the start) or (2) is to crack the bleeder nipple at the caliper as you push the puck back. The second way is better - it gets rid of the nasty fluid at the caliper instead of pushing it into the brake lines. My friend does his this way. I usually just push the calipers in and then do a quick pressure bleed (I use a Motive pressure bleeder - works great - about $50) at each wheel as I go.

I've used several items to push the pucks in - the rubber coated handle end of a pair of Craftsman pliers (slip joint style) worked pretty good. The biggest problem is that as you push on in, the other two want to push out. I found that putting in the new padlets as I went along worked - that is, pull the thee old padlets, push the lowest puck back in, insert the new padlet, then push the next puck in, insert the second new padlet, and finally do the third. Put one locater pin in after each padlet install. They should go in easily (I use a VERY small amount of anti-seize on the pin threads (I use hi-temp LocTite Copper anti-seize)). No anti-seize is better than the wrong kind or too much. Be very careful - it is easy to cross thread or try to force the pin in with the padlet not aligned - this can bend the pin. If you are using new GM OEM pads, they will come with new pins. You can use them or not. The pins are only torqued to 27 ft/lbs (I think - I will have to check to be sure). It is not a real high value.

If you are using GM OEM replacement padlets, there will be four with medal pad wear indicator tabs. These should go on the top of the front brakes, and the bottom of the rears (trailing edges) - check the old ones as you remove them for reference.

Most aftermarket pads or padlets do not have wear indicator tabs.

Other than the tabs, all of the padlets, all 20, front and rear are the same and interchangeable.

The other way to change padlets (and the way you have to change one piece pads or if you are replacing rotors) is to remove the caliper. There are two large bolts in the back side of the caliper that holds them on. Just remove both. Be careful not to let the caliper fall or be held up by the flex line. I use a piece of coat hanger to hold it up while working on it.

Once the caliper is off, you can pop all the padlets off (no need to remove the locater pins). Keep the anti-rattle clip/spring in place. Push the pucks in (I've found that three mid size Stanley quick grip bar clamps (the ones that you just squeeze to tighten and have nice soft yellow pads on the jaw parts - work great). I can send you a picture later if you are not familiar. These might even work with the caliper in-place, but I haven't tried them that way yet. Now that you have the padlets out, three of the pucks pushed back in, just load the new padlets or pad. Make sure that the padlet metal tab is pointing out away from the center of the hub and that the friction material is facing in (sounds kind of dumb, but it is possible to install the padlets upside down or wrong side in).

Now do the other side of the caliper the same way. Slide the loaded caliper back over the rotor (hopefully you've pushed the pucks back in far enough) and re-install the caliper bolts. The torque is pretty high, 129 ft/lbs I think. I use a little blue LockTite on the threads and tighten the bolts firmly with a 1/2" ratchet.

Same procedure for all four wheels.

If the rotor retaining clips are still on your car - (little thin star washers over one or two studs on each wheel) remove them and discard. They only can cause problems (the service manual also says to remove and discard). They can keep the wheel from mating fully to the hub (esp with aftermarket wheels) and cause a vibration at speed,

Put your wheels back on and torque the bolts to 100 ft/lb - this torque value is important - otherwise it is easy to warp a rotor when hot.

One last thing - be careful when you move the car - you will need to pump the brakes a few times to keep the pedal from going to the floor (also don't forget to top off the master cylinder (if needed) and replace the cap). Once I backed out of the driveway and had no brakes until I pumped them three or four times - got my attention. E-brake worked.

I started using the pin removal method and am now using the caliper removal method. Both work. I think the calipers removal is a little easer and faster for me. I can swap wheels and a set of padlets in about 1.5 hours. Longer if I am cleaning and detailing in the wheel arch.

Don't forget to bed your new pads (follow the manufacture's guidelines).

Of you are going from one brand of pads to another, you may have to clean/sand/resurface the rotor to eliminate squealing. If you are using new rotors, clean them well (brake cleaner and/or hot soapy water) before install to remove the anti-rust coating.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 02-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

And, there's no such thing as "GS Z51" The "Z51" corvette brakes are completely different than the "GS/Z06" brakes
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

A 'floating' piston really refers to how the caliper is attached to the 'anchor' or caliper mount, or directly to the spindle.

The Base/z51 use a floating caliper in that they slide on the anchor in and out relative to the mount, as opposed to the GS/Z06 caliper which are a 'fixed' caliper meaning they don't move and are mounted directly to the spindle using the same two bolts and attaching points as the base/z51.

The majority of vehicles produced today, and especially in the past, use a form of a 'floating' caliper. Most, if not all, performance platforms will use a 'fixed' caliper. This design reduces flex in the caliper, inherent to floating style calipers.

Either way, the pistons have to be retracted when changing pads on either design.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
And, there's no such thing as "GS Z51" The "Z51" corvette brakes are completely different than the "GS/Z06" brakes
Don't think that's quite true. The GS has Z51 springs. Z51 is listed on the GS options sheet sticker.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...age-specs.html

Good pad changing info here, BTW.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Joe B.
Don't think that's quite true. The GS has Z51 springs. Z51 is listed on the GS options sheet sticker.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...age-specs.html

Good pad changing info here, BTW.
That sticker is a parts list, it's not an options list. The brakes are ID'd as J56, which is what this thread is about.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:29 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If I was you, I would take it to shop and have it done.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 GS Z51 Calipers

Quick Reply: 2013 GS Z51 Calipers