C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about new MGW shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:21 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Question about new MGW shifter

I just received a new MGW short shifter and lower box. I hope to have it installed within the next week or two. However I do have a question about it which I'm sure George can answer but wanted to ask here in case someone already knew the answer or if someone was looking for the answer.

The shifter everyone pictures and is still shown on the MGW website is what I expected to receive:

What I received, however is pretty different in terms of handle attachment and location:

Notice how the handle attach point is now way out at the 1 o'clock position and not at the center? I'm not familiar with where the stock handle attaches to the stock shifter but this is definitely different than what I expected for the MGW.

Is this going to end up feeling significantly different than where I place my hand on the stock shifter now? Is the shift motion going to be seriously affected in terms of angles for all 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 shifts? Maybe? Maybe not?

I'm surprised that the gold block is not rotated "in-line" with the fore-aft axis and is at that 1 o'clock angle. The hex bolts showing apparently hold the block onto the lever which as you can kind of see is a solid 0.5 x 1.0 block (pretty beefy) and does not seem to be able to rotate or be repositioned.

Maybe this is an even newer design to help with more sound issues?

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I looked but did not find any info on "new" MGW shifters or angled billet blocks or the offset handle. I certainly could not find any pictures of this particular shifter!

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 02-15-2014, 12:03 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

That is the first MGW shifter that I have seen with that design.

I got a new MGW shifter and lower box about 6 months ago and it was like this.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I would have faith that if MGW updated the shifter again, it is bound to be as good as the one I have..........BUT I don't know how it could be better. I love the one I have. Very smooth and crisp shifts.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
The shifter everyone pictures and is still shown on the MGW website is what I expected to receive...

What I received, however is pretty different in terms of handle attachment and location...

...this is definitely different than what I expected for the MGW.

Is this going to end up feeling significantly different than where I place my hand on the stock shifter now? Is the shift motion going to be seriously affected in terms of angles for all 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 shifts? Maybe? Maybe not?
Definitely not.

I'm surprised that the gold block is not rotated "in-line" with the fore-aft axis and is at that 1 o'clock angle. The hex bolts showing apparently hold the block onto the lever which as you can kind of see is a solid 0.5 x 1.0 block (pretty beefy) and does not seem to be able to rotate or be repositioned.

Maybe this is an even newer design to help with more sound issues?
Undoubtedly. George is constantly fiddling with the design as he works to perfect it. The web site is often behind in showing the latest and greatest. Have no fear, it will work as advertised. (Which way the block is pointing is irrelevant to the shifting action. Just imagine it as a round ball you couldn't tell which way it "pointed.")

If George doesn't chime in here you can always phone him.

George knows what he's doing. Install it. Enjoy.

Z//
Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't have anything to worry about, it's a great shifter.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:43 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Definitely not.

(Which way the block is pointing is irrelevant to the shifting action. Just imagine it as a round ball you couldn't tell which way it "pointed.")
Yes indeed, that's true. The one thing I'll note is, though the install video states it should be installed with the logo facing the driver, the shifter itself looks like it's symmetrical and could actually be installed either way. That means the older design would have the shift handle in the same location regardless of how the shifter was installed. The shift ball would be in the same location.

With the new design, the handle and ball are (with logo towards driver) a bit farther forward and to the right now. If the shifter is actually symmetrical and *can* be installed with logo to the right, that would put the handle/ball farther aft and to the left. About 1.5 inches fore/aft and left/right but a full 2 inches diagonally (thank you Pythagoras).

If you just look at your hand, I guess 2 inches is really nothing in the grand scheme of things since the shift ball is close to that diameter anyway and the difference in location is probably insignificant in use.

So I'll install it and see how it goes. Should be fine.

Thanks for the input.

Kevin
Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

just for peace of mind, I'd ask the question of George. that's quite different from the one pictured on this thread that was bought six months ago. from everything I've read, George is always tweaking and improving things. I say, ask the question. and please tell us what the answer is.

note: there may be a difference tho since Op's car is an '05 T56 and NC's is a '10 TR6060.

Last edited by AORoads; 02-15-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AORoads
note: there may be a difference tho since Op's car is an '05 T56 and NC's is a '10 TR6060.
If there was a difference in the shifters based upon the model year of the car then that would need to be specified on the web site (it isn't) and it would have come up loooong ago here on the forums (it hasn't.) There would also be different part numbers for the GM components, too (there aren't,) and that fact would also have been discussed here ad nauseum.

Z//
Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I ordered that same shifter- it's arrived but I'm stationed overseas right now. I'll see if I can't get my dad to send me a shot of what it looks like out of box so I can confirm whether or not I got the updated one you received or the one shown in the photo.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Trention
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I received mine in January. It matched the website. Since MGW sells shifters for Ford and Mopar I would verify that you weren't sent the wrong shifter just to be sure.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:49 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So, what did George say when you called him today?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I wouldn't do anything with it until you hear from George. I agree that it looks like maybe you were sent the wrong shifter.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:21 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with those who say to call George first. The last thing you want is to perform "open - heart surgery" on your baby only to discover you were sent the wrong shifter. Even though I've performed said surgery more than once and could now probably do it blindfolded, I'd hate to have done it needlessly.

One simple phone call. I'd do it.

P.S. If it's a new design, please tell us all about it!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

hey guys,

the handle is actually only offset 5/8" left to right and 3/4" front to back so not near 1.50 or 2 inches from the centerline. It just looks that way if you measure from the back of the gold handle which is NOT the centerline of the shifter.

we did it for 2 reasons which will not affect the shifting at all...

1. we USE to have an offset bracket and then when we switched to the center mount we had a lot of feedback from people wishing we still had a slight offset because some people have short arms and long legs and some people have short legs and long arms so this new design actually lets you get the shifter a little closer or a good bit farther away just by swapping it mirrored.

2. the new c7 boots are a bit stiffer and less material than the c5 and c6 and the old design was a little bulky. it worked but this design is a lot less bulky in the boot area so it just works a little better.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards
George
Attached Images  

Last edited by MGW George; 02-18-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

So the offset shifter is new? And good for 97+ vette's?

Get notified of new replies

To Question about new MGW shifter

Old 02-18-2014, 05:42 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

George is the poster child for continuance improvement.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

He never stops innovating!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

So George, the only difference between the C6 and C7 shifters is the boot material? Your unit works in both?

Z//

Quick Reply: Question about new MGW shifter