C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about new MGW shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Great info as usual. Thanks, George!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
So George, the only difference between the C6 and C7 shifters is the boot material? Your unit works in both?

Z//
yes , the part number for the factory shifter and box is the same as the c6 from GM. the trans has changed but the box and shifter is the same.

So our shifter will give a 30 percent reduction in throw on the C7 also.

George
Old 02-18-2014, 10:13 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

How long is the delivery time on these shifters currently?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 AM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

And there you have it! I like the fact it is "reversible" and you have the choice of moving the shifter fwd/right and aft/left to suit your tastes.

Still looking forward to installing it as soon as I can but I have a bit of other work to do on the car before I can get to that. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Kevin
Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George
hey guys,

the handle is actually only offset 5/8" left to right and 3/4" front to back so not near 1.50 or 2 inches from the centerline. It just looks that way if you measure from the back of the gold handle which is NOT the centerline of the shifter.

we did it for 2 reasons which will not affect the shifting at all...

1. we USE to have an offset bracket and then when we switched to the center mount we had a lot of feedback from people wishing we still had a slight offset because some people have short arms and long legs and some people have short legs and long arms so this new design actually lets you get the shifter a little closer or a good bit farther away just by swapping it mirrored.

2. the new c7 boots are a bit stiffer and less material than the c5 and c6 and the old design was a little bulky. it worked but this design is a lot less bulky in the boot area so it just works a little better.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards
George
George, can you comment on the site showing the box and shifter as a complete package now? Can we still order only the shifter without the lower box?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:36 AM
kevinkar
Racer

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
George, can you comment on the site showing the box and shifter as a complete package now? Can we still order only the shifter without the lower box?
I placed my order for the shifter and box but my card was only charged for the shifter. When I asked what was up I was told the lower box now comes with the shifter and so was not charged for it! Got both as ordered. SWEET!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:00 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
We are only selling the shifter as a complete unit with the lower box now because it just works so much better in all ways.

There was such a limiting factor having our shifter working with the oem lower box.

we also lowered the price quite a bit for both the box and shifter then if sold separately. I have REALLY strived to make this unit as cost effective as i could and i STILL am tweaking the machines so we MAY be able to get a little lower but frankly i cant make them as fast as i sell them so hopefully the price point is fair for you guys.

George
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

We are only selling the shifter as a complete unit with the lower box now because it just works so much better in all ways.

There was such a limiting factor having our shifter working with the oem lower box.

we also lowered the price quite a bit for both the box and shifter then if sold separately. I have REALLY strived to make this unit as cost effective as i could and i STILL am tweaking the machines so we MAY be able to get a little lower but frankly i cant make them as fast as i sell them so hopefully the price point is fair for you guys.

George
Price is excellent George, comparitively speaking. Additionally, everyone I've spoken to on the matter has said to get an MGW, your quality speaks for itself on that matter. I'll finally have an opportunity to actually USE my MGW when I get home late April (stationed overseas)- but for now I eagerly await its installation
Old 04-14-2014, 12:05 AM
kevinkar
Racer

Well I finally got to installing the shifter and it works just fine. I watched the installation videos enough to be able to do the job without referring to them at all. Very simple job. The worst part was reinstalling the rubber boot and plastic frame because the clearance on the driver's side is so minimal, I could barely get my fingers in there to push the rubber down around and below the MGW shifter boot. My fingers will probably be sore for days.

Definitely a shorter throw and a lot more precise. The feel is notchy but in a good way. It feels way more solid and sturdy than the OEM shifter. I almost thought there was a problem because I didn't think it was going into reverse and I thought "Oh oh! I'm gonna have to take this all apart and figure out what's going on!" but I simply started up the car and went through the gears, letting the clutch out slowly each time, and it was in the right gear at the right time so I buttoned it up and tested it on the road.

NO issues whatsoever. Works as promised. The throws are so short, I think there's more time wasted with all that clutch pedal travel.

One other minimal issue was trying to get the shift boot around the bottom of the MGW shift ball (I got the round one) due to the fabric not being stretchy and the lower ball connection being so smooth. Just couldn't get the right leverage to slide it up and over the lower connection. Solved that by pulling the boot out from the console and pulling it up to where it needed to be. I was afraid of ripping the material but I just pulled slowly and carefully until it slid up over the "flange" into position. When there, I just dropped it back into place and put the tabs back in under the console plastic. Problem solved.

Wasn't able to stomp on it yet so I did not notice any vibration or noise that others have complained about in the past but it certainly had no issues driving around town for a half hour.

It's a really solid piece of work and very well made. The neutral alignment tool was a major plus too. No eye-balling necessary. Put it into perfect position the first time.

Now on to other things....

Kevin
Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
Well I finally got to installing the shifter and it works just fine. I watched the installation videos enough to be able to do the job without referring to them at all. Very simple job. The worst part was reinstalling the rubber boot and plastic frame because the clearance on the driver's side is so minimal, I could barely get my fingers in there to push the rubber down around and below the MGW shifter boot. My fingers will probably be sore for days.

Definitely a shorter throw and a lot more precise. The feel is notchy but in a good way. It feels way more solid and sturdy than the OEM shifter. I almost thought there was a problem because I didn't think it was going into reverse and I thought "Oh oh! I'm gonna have to take this all apart and figure out what's going on!" but I simply started up the car and went through the gears, letting the clutch out slowly each time, and it was in the right gear at the right time so I buttoned it up and tested it on the road.

NO issues whatsoever. Works as promised. The throws are so short, I think there's more time wasted with all that clutch pedal travel.

One other minimal issue was trying to get the shift boot around the bottom of the MGW shift ball (I got the round one) due to the fabric not being stretchy and the lower ball connection being so smooth. Just couldn't get the right leverage to slide it up and over the lower connection. Solved that by pulling the boot out from the console and pulling it up to where it needed to be. I was afraid of ripping the material but I just pulled slowly and carefully until it slid up over the "flange" into position. When there, I just dropped it back into place and put the tabs back in under the console plastic. Problem solved.

Wasn't able to stomp on it yet so I did not notice any vibration or noise that others have complained about in the past but it certainly had no issues driving around town for a half hour.

It's a really solid piece of work and very well made. The neutral alignment tool was a major plus too. No eye-balling necessary. Put it into perfect position the first time.

Now on to other things....

Kevin

Nice write up. I am waiting on the one I ordered the other day because they were 'out of stock' I'm very excited to get it installed in my '13 GS

Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Did this mgw shifter last week., if your on the fence about doing this Mod, do it. HUGE improvement. I love driving the car more and more

Last edited by whit1; 05-12-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

George
I bought the mgw shifter last week. Love it.
However is wish I got the Gripper ball and shift threaded handle also.
Can you Pm me a price for the 2 items.

George
Old 05-13-2014, 03:04 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by whit1
George
I bought the mgw shifter last week. Love it.
However is wish I got the Gripper ball and shift threaded handle also.
Can you Pm me a price for the 2 items.

the handle is 15.00 and the gripper is 40.00

George
Old 05-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

My MGW shifter should arrive today for my C7....had one in my C5 and my C6...can't wait to install it tomorrow.....

Great product and service George

Basil
Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08-'11

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
My MGW shifter should arrive today for my C7....had one in my C5 and my C6...can't wait to install it tomorrow.....

Great product and service George

Basil
Thanks man!!!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:46 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I finally had an opportunity to install/use my MGW while I was back in the states on leave.. I got the offset one as opposed to the straighter looking previous model (which I was pleased about).

So basically, this is by far and away the best mod I've done to my Corvette. The difference is significant. Much better shifts, an outstanding mechanical feedback that feels GREAT, crisp, functional.. It's like driving a whole different car. I really can't say enough about it, the thing is great- fantastic work George, really. Outside my supercharger, this is the best thing that's happened to my Corvette.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

It a nice short shift
It is alittle notchy in shifts. But overall good feel

Quick Reply: Question about new MGW shifter