C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window won't Crack

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Window won't Index down, but will Roll Up/Down when Open

I tried searching and found a bunch of people who have windows that won't go up or down all the way. Thats not my problems - so I decided to start a new thread...

I have a 2005 C6 Z51 Coupe. And the last couple weeks I've noticed that when opening the door from the inside, sometimes the window doesn't "Crack" quick enough before I am pushing to open the door. So lately - I've been pushing the button a few times, and giving it a couple seconds to 'crack' the window before I open the door.

Well, last night, it simply wouldn't index down - and I had to basically shove my way out of the car.

With the door open, the window will go up and down fine, all the way from top to bottom. And I compared it to the passenger door (which isn't having any issues) and it's just as fast from top to bottom. Any ideas on why the window is having problems indexing down that half inch so I can open my door? Its almost as if the rubber weather strip has too strong a grip and the motor can't pull the window free of the lip...

EDIT: To clarify - with the door closed, inside the car, just rolling the window down manually doesn't work. It get stuck, and gives up... This is without touching the open button. Just using the widow switch. But with the door open - the window rolls up and down fast and freely...

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by LF97C5Vette; 01-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I had the exact same problem on my '12, but only twice, and randomly. So my solution wasn't to reindex the window, since it was indexing fine most of the time. I disconnected the battery for a while, and now it's working just fine. You could try reindexing the window first, but disconnecting the battery might be your best bet.

If the problem continues, it's not going to be easy to know what's wrong. It could be a bad ground, false contact on one of the connectors, the door module, or the BCM (body control module). This info was passed to me by a buddy with the service manual. In my case, with only 5K miles and no rain driving, it'd be either the door module or BCM. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

This might sound like it's got nothing to do with it but try taking the outside door pad off, take it apart and clean the insides with some electrical parts cleaner. I believe I've read that a dirty switch can cause problems like you describe.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EVRose
This might sound like it's got nothing to do with it but try taking the outside door pad off, take it apart and clean the insides with some electrical parts cleaner. I believe I've read that a dirty switch can cause problems like you describe.
Yeah - that doesn't sound related since my problem has been with me inside the car... But I'll give it a shot, it certain'y can't hurt... Thanks!

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I had the exact same problem on my '12, but only twice, and randomly. So my solution wasn't to reindex the window, since it was indexing fine most of the time. I disconnected the battery for a while, and now it's working just fine. You could try reindexing the window first, but disconnecting the battery might be your best bet.

If the problem continues, it's not going to be easy to know what's wrong. It could be a bad ground, false contact on one of the connectors, the door module, or the BCM (body control module). This info was passed to me by a buddy with the service manual. In my case, with only 5K miles and no rain driving, it'd be either the door module or BCM. Good luck.
Yeah - I don't think it's an indexing issue, since it indexes fine. (Or tries too) it's as if the motor is too weak to pull the window free of the weather stripping's grip. I will try the re-index procedure, and even disconnecting the batter. These are easy things to try, thanks.

-Dan
Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

I believe I've read that a dirty switch can cause problems like you describe.
I took mine apart to know how it works, and it's perfectly sealed. At least on my '12. Nothing can get in there unless the rubber pad is compromised somehow. Oh, and there're no switches in there; that's why you don't feel any 'clicking'. Just 4 tabs that you must flatten against a PCB. And only the middle 2 join the right wires. The outer 2 don't open the door; they only index the window on the passenger side, and work the relays on the driver's side. Don't understand why the 'switch' was designed that way. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JCtx; 01-30-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

But its still called a switch.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/c6-tec...or-issues.html
Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Just to add this data point.

If I roll the window all the way up in the car. Without even touching the Door Buttons (inside or out) just trying to Roll the window down - doesn't work... it hangs up on the rubber, like the weather strip is holding it...

But with the door open, it goes up and down fast and easy.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

But its still called a switch.
Yeah, yeah, I know. Just like GM calls the suspension in our cars 'fully independent', when a freaking leaf-spring connects both ends . They always stretch the meaning of words .

Get notified of new replies

To Window won't Crack

Quick Reply: Window won't Crack