C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing/vibration coming from under dash grille (vent)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Quil
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Buzzing/vibration coming from under dash grille (vent)

I'm trying to track down the cause of an annoying buzzing sound coming from my dash. I finally isolated it down to the area around the grille/vent where the center speaker and defrost vents are located. I popped the grille out and took the car for a drive to see if the grille was the cause of the problem...still buzzing. I can push down on the dash pad in various areas around the opening, and the buzzing will go away. I tried inserting rolled up pieces of soft Velcro in between the dash pad and the vent/speaker mount in those places, but I can't seem to get the buzzing/rattling sound to go away completely.

Anyone ever experienced this and come up with a solution? It's about to drive me crazy....
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Its the plastic wiper cowl on the outside of the car. There is a recall to fix it. I can't find the post about the recall, but its a very common problem.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Quil
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5kid
Its the plastic wiper cowl on the outside of the car. There is a recall to fix it. I can't find the post about the recall, but its a very common problem.
I've read about that recall, but I don't think that's the problem. I can make the noise stop by pressing on the dash pad in different areas while it's happening. I can also replicate the sound by tapping around the grille area while the grille is off and the car is stationary.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

hmmm..... did you drop some cheerio's down in there?

Wish it was my first thought, that is an easy fix.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I can not offer any useful suggestions but I will say that loss of hearing is a good thing while driving my 08. Otherwise it sucks!

I know there have been reports of the center speaker area and buzzing. Usually it turns out to be the cowl. In this case it sounds like another issue. ther reports have indicated a speaker grill area problem.

How about trying to prop something inside the grill area putting pressure on the dash. It might just take a little positive pressure to quail the vibration.

Noises can be troublesome in the least. I have spent months tracking them down in big rigs cabins. One time it turned out to be the door hinge. Solution was to shut the door with a rag on the sill. Funny part is the door was rock solid when shut prior to the rag. The hinge was tweaked just enough to pop.

good luck and post up when you track it down.

Last edited by Boomer111; 12-17-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

There are a few issues that cause this sound.

One is the cowl.

Two is the ambient temp sensor (it's near the start button)

Three is the Cluster shroud (the clips from the Cluster into the shroud can come lose and buzz).

Mine had issue one, and now has issue three.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Quil
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
There are a few issues that cause this sound.

One is the cowl.

Two is the ambient temp sensor (it's near the start button)

Three is the Cluster shroud (the clips from the Cluster into the shroud can come lose and buzz).

Mine had issue one, and now has issue three.
I don't think the cowl is the issue, since I can make the noise stop by pressing on the dash pad. I'll tape the cowl trim piece down just to eliminate it for sure.

My temp sensor makes noise when I first start the car in the morning, so I recognize what that sounds like. This isn't the same thing.

I initially thought the cluster shroud and the dash pad where it overhangs the cluster area was the culprit, because I could push down or pull up in the dash pad just over the cluster area and make the noise stop. I thought I had isolated the noise to that vent area, but it may very well be around the cluster...it's so hard to track these sounds down inside the car. I'll pull that surround back out tonight and inspect the clips, and also see if I can pad the area surrounding it a little to make the noise stop.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:08 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

If you can hold the dash pad above the cluster and the noise stops, you have the exact same problem I have.

I took the clips off the cluster and reinstalled them, that worked for a time, then they started buzzing again. I'm thinking that the buzzing is either the clips themselves, or the cowl and the cluster vibrating off of each other.

So my next test is to remove the clips, and if that failed, get bigger ones! (I've yet to do this)
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

I stopped my dash buzzing by spraying Teflon into all the over lapping parts of the dash panel.. you can get Teflon spray at Autozone.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Quil
Drifting

This thing is driving me crazy. I have taken the center grill and cluster surround out so many times I could do it in my sleep. It is definitely coming from the area just to the left and slightly behind the speaker....right around the 7:00 position. If I clamp or press down on that area, the buzzing stops immediately. If I lift up just under the speaker itself, the buzzing stops.

I have tried wedging pieces of soft Velcro in those areas to no avail. I don't know if I need positive pressure in that location or what, but separating the pieces further either isn't working or I haven't pinpointed the exact location closely enough yet.

I going to pull the center speaker out to see if that has anything to do with it. If not, I'll probably start cramming newspaper or shop towels in every available crack and orafice in the dash until it stops. LOL
Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

I had the same problem and it was the cowling next to the windshield. As a test I taped it down with electrical tape and buzzing stopped. The real fix was to seal the cowling/

Last edited by Arkay; 01-11-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buzzing/vibration coming from under dash grille (vent)

Quick Reply: Buzzing/vibration coming from under dash grille (vent)