C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Height Adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 PM
posmo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Height Adjustment question

I'm bringing down the ride height just a tad and was wondering if the left and right lowering bolts are normally at the exact same number of turns in relation to the opposite side to get a balanced height on each side? Or are these adjusters that can vary from left to right in order to get equal ride height?

Seems my left front if quite a few turns CW than the right side yet the height is the same.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

They rarely match. Even if they did match, if you're **** about even height side to side, you might have to turn the driver's side bolts down more to compensate for driver weight anyway. Just do the best you can, they aren't precision instruments.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Dont measure from the fenders down. Use the frame to measure. Bottom of frame front and back. Keep the same relationship of rake.
Robin
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I agree with trying to keep the original factory rake, usually. Some cars came out with really strange rake settings, while most others are "normal".

Actually, the official GM measurements are taken from two points on the suspension, at each corner of the car. It takes an alignment rack, a $special GM tool, and two people.

Starting in 2010, GM started publishing dimensions from the pavement to the top of the wheel well arch, for narrow and widebody cars (they are different). The 2010 book says that if the wheel well distances are not within spec, then check/adjust using the suspension points.

There has been lots of talk about using points on the frame, and many race teams seem to use that technique, but I have never been able to find anything from GM about doing it that way on a street-driven car.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 PM
posmo
6th Gear

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Equal number of turns left and right sides. The adjusters do not start out even.

Be sure and get an alignment after the height adjustment.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM
posmo
6th Gear

Ok so as long as I can level out the height I'm good. Thanks.

My other lesser concern is that the C6 I got used came with these front Lowering Bolts. Are these aftermarket bolts designed to hold up if I use them to raise the car up a little higher? When I got the car they were adjusted to maximum low setting and I was scraping everywhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Ride Height Adjustment question

Quick Reply: Ride Height Adjustment question