C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam & Heads Swap....OMG!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 AM
GrinderZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam & Heads Swap....OMG!

Since I plan to do more HPDE's I decided to change the heads on my Z06 (trying to avoid a dropped valve) and while in there I figure why not change the cam.

I''ve done head/cam swaps on plenty of cars in the past, never a C6. I figure, WTH it can't be that bad, I'll do it myself!

So yesterday I started tearing her down, and tearing, and tearing! After removing the heads and intake I realized I would need to either remove the rack & pinion or drop the front cradle in order to remove the crank balancer

Once I removed the balancer and the timing chain cover, I realized the oil pump would not come off unless the oil pan was loosened. So I'm loosening the oil pan only to find that the oil cooler and dry sump lines need to be removed to reach the oil pan bolts

I finally got the cam out just today....11 hours total to get the heads off and cam out!! I hope I can reassemble this thing.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve@HPE
Since I plan to do more HPDE's I decided to change the heads on my Z06 (trying to avoid a dropped valve) and while in there I figure why not change the cam.

I''ve done head/cam swaps on plenty of cars in the past, never a C6. I figure, WTH it can't be that bad, I'll do it myself!

So yesterday I started tearing her down, and tearing, and tearing! After removing the heads and intake I realized I would need to either remove the rack & pinion or drop the front cradle in order to remove the crank balancer

Once I removed the balancer and the timing chain cover, I realized the oil pump would not come off unless the oil pan was loosened. So I'm loosening the oil pan only to find that the oil cooler and dry sump lines need to be removed to reach the oil pan bolts

I finally got the cam out just today....11 hours total to get the heads off and cam out!! I hope I can reassemble this thing.
you made it that far the rest is cake
Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Gabbiani
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steering rack really is the worst part. Heads alone on our cars aren't bad at all.

Headers/plugs/wires etc are far easier than 4th gens.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If it were me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would purchase a set of ARP Head studs. You will thank me after you finish the reinstallation!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM
GrinderZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
The steering rack really is the worst part. Heads alone on our cars aren't bad at all.

Headers/plugs/wires etc are far easier than 4th gens.
You're right, the heads are not that bad but the cam makes up for it! LOL!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:41 PM
GrinderZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If it were me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would purchase a set of ARP Head studs. You will thank me after you finish the reinstallation!
Bill, what's the advantage of the ARP studs? I just ordered new GM head bolts, but if there's a compelling reason for the ARP's I'll get them.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:36 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You dont have to pull lines, use a swivel socket "Snap on works best" and just loosen rears to about 1/8" on front. This will allow you to pry pan down 1/16" on front for clearance.

I use a couple of 1/16" shims on either side of pan to hold it down and use a shim under oil pump to keep from tearing gasket upon installation.

ARP head bolts are very nice.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam & Heads Swap....OMG!

Quick Reply: Cam & Heads Swap....OMG!