C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ranger Method Clutch Fluid

Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Like I always say...I change my clutch fluid more than my underwear/
Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Good luck when you have to replace a clutch in a C6!
I run a Spec Super Twin Carbon so it's been changed. I change the fluid...I just don't over do it like some and being dark certainly doesn't worry me.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I even stopped pumping the pedal. I just remove via a syringe and refill. Stays clean with maybe 3-4 yearly changes covering 5,000 miles.

I am easy on the clutch but and I do practice engine braking.
I have always been doing engine braking since the mid '60s and enjoying both long longevity on both brakes and clutch.

Over @ Auto Crossing/Road Racing Section, you know those guys put the highest wear demands on their whole car and their findings on oem MC and timing chain wear is very educational!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any circulation of fluid that happens in the C6 clutch that happens ONLY when the engine is running?

My clutch is currently acting up, I've changed the fluid and gotten it clear in the reservoir, but was wondering if starting the car allows any fluid to circulate that doesn't circulate when the car is off and you're only pumping the clutch.

Mine isn't driveable--the clutch goes to the floor and sticks--so I can't drive it. Looking for last-ditch tries before a trip to the dealer.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 AM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same topic as usual... does the Ranger method work? YES. it took me about 25-35 changes to clear my clutch fluid on a 21k 08 MN6, and I kept thinking the idea was a myth until my fluid finally stayed clear. I would suck out and refill the reservoir and then drive for the day/week. A lot of people claim their fluid was clear almost instantly, and that's great but it didn't happen that way for me or a lot of others I have read about. Your talking about a few bottles of dot 4 Pennzoil for like $6 a piece... once the fluid is clear it just requires periodic changes, the more the merrier and with the cheap price of fluid and ease to change why the hell not!?? Without even considering Ranger's full on experiment that pretty much proves this method is at a minimum worth the time and price why can't people understand that new "clean/clear" fluid is better than dark and dirty fluid running through anything..... just because your clutch doesn't fail without fluid changes is not a reason to dis-credit the Ranger method which seems to happen fairly often on this site. It's so simple that its sad to see dark clutch fluid in corvettes at car shows, makes me laugh a little inside for some reason.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:52 AM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Originally Posted by Cyber2010
Is there any circulation of fluid that happens in the C6 clutch that happens ONLY when the engine is running?

My clutch is currently acting up, I've changed the fluid and gotten it clear in the reservoir, but was wondering if starting the car allows any fluid to circulate that doesn't circulate when the car is off and you're only pumping the clutch.

Mine isn't driveable--the clutch goes to the floor and sticks--so I can't drive it. Looking for last-ditch tries before a trip to the dealer.
whew. following post for answer. I know the clutch to the floor has happened many times before but I can't remember the fix. bad master cylinder?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:43 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

roll up some paper towels to 'fit the res. push towels in res. soak up all the oil. refill, wala! clean!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
roll up some paper towels to 'fit the res. push towels in res. soak up all the oil. refill, wala! clean!
Most (or a lot anyway) use a turkey baster or a syringe to suck the fluid out, but whatever works. The turkey baster is a little cleaner than rags. This is what's considered the Ranger method.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

Originally Posted by TripleAstyle123
whew. following post for answer. I know the clutch to the floor has happened many times before but I can't remember the fix. bad master cylinder?
That's what I think. Looks like I'll be replacing mine. I priced an aftermarket from Tick Performance and it's gonna be close to 400 bucks. The OEM one is 83.

For that price difference, I'll be going OEM and doing a better job of monitoring and changing my clutch fluid.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:59 PM
kimdjay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cyber2010

Most (or a lot anyway) use a turkey baster or a syringe to suck the fluid out, but whatever works. The turkey baster is a little cleaner than rags. This is what's considered the Ranger method.
So I tried the ranger method and I've also just jammed some paper towel in the master. With the baster thing I had to move quickly so it didn't drip on stuff as I tried to empty the baster. Using a good paper towel, no drips.. It just works. Screw the ranger method. :-)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What brand fluid is recommended. Any dot 4 I believe?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Originally Posted by TripleAstyle123
Same topic as usual... does the Ranger method work? YES. it took me about 25-35 changes to clear my clutch fluid on a 21k 08 MN6, and I kept thinking the idea was a myth until my fluid finally stayed clear. I would suck out and refill the reservoir and then drive for the day/week. A lot of people claim their fluid was clear almost instantly, and that's great but it didn't happen that way for me or a lot of others I have read about. Your talking about a few bottles of dot 4 Pennzoil for like $6 a piece... once the fluid is clear it just requires periodic changes, the more the merrier and with the cheap price of fluid and ease to change why the hell not!?? Without even considering Ranger's full on experiment that pretty much proves this method is at a minimum worth the time and price why can't people understand that new "clean/clear" fluid is better than dark and dirty fluid running through anything..... just because your clutch doesn't fail without fluid changes is not a reason to dis-credit the Ranger method which seems to happen fairly often on this site. It's so simple that its sad to see dark clutch fluid in corvettes at car shows, makes me laugh a little inside for some reason.
What are the advantages or disadvantages to using the Ranger method instead of installing a remote bleeder? Will either be more effective in preventing fluid related clutch issues.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I run a Spec Super Twin Carbon so it's been changed. I change the fluid...I just don't over do it like some and being dark certainly doesn't worry me.
Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't bother with too much concern. But my first time at the drag strip with my first 09z, I lost my slave cylinder going into second gear. warranty covered the repair but I use the Ranger method religiously now, especially since I have about a month on the GM warranty (second 09Z). This clutch and slave has 45k miles and no issues. the other one went out at 12k. Heck, the slave lasted longer than the engine. It only made it 41k.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ranger Method Clutch Fluid