C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing / tuning?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 221 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Default Timing / tuning?

Hey about two years ago I had to do the dreaded harmonic balancer replacement on my '05 coupe. Evidently I had one of the ones with the wobble- it was so bad it was easily visible. Anyway I pulled her into my shop, put the front on jack stands over my pit in the floor, and spent the whole weekend dismantling things to get to the balancer. Got it replaced and all put back together.

During that process we did accidentally turn the motor just slightly on accident. Barely at all. At the time I was worried (thinking old school) about messing up the timing. However, upon completion of putting it all back together, she fired up just fine. However- I've often thought the car doesn't have quite the kick it did on take off, that it did before I changed the balancer (and accidentally turned the crank a little). What are the odds that I effected the timing? Would a good tune (diablo sport or ???) bring a little more kick back? This car has custom exhaust and air box, other than that the drivetrain and all are stock (base coupe). Been wondering about this and thinking of buying a tuner for a while.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

We have a remote tuning option that can help us custom tailor the car to your driving habits.

There is no way to physically change the timing via the harmonic balancer on a stock vette.

With our remote tuning package we AND you can though. You would be surprised at the gains you can get on just recalibrating the gm stock tune. There would def not be so many companies doing it and specializing in it if it were not a good thing.

The best part about our package is, we can tune the car also as you follow the steps along the modding path. If you want a cam, we have those avail, and we can get you the most out of it via our tuning. Wanting to switch to race gas at the track? We can help with that too! The options are endless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing / tuning?