C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob reprogramming problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Key fob reprogramming problem

I know there have been several posts regarding "how to's" to program fobs but I haven't come across a situation like mine and I'm hoping someone else has. 2010 GS MN6. Problem started with Fob 1. At times it won't let me in the car? I have to muck around holding the fob near the base of the windshield or repeatedly push the unlock button to get in. After that it will start without a problem. Other times when it will let me in, when I push the start button I get the no fob detected warning. The fob has a new battery and will pop the hatch from nearly 500 yards. Fob 2 has NO issues at all? Works like a charm. So I decided I had a faulty fob and purchased a new one from Parts Taxi. I then attempted to go through the procedure in the owners manual to reprogram all fobs. I was planning on using the new fob as #1 the #2 fob would remain #2 and the problematic fob would be #3 just in case. When I insert the key near the rear tag and crank it 5 times within 5 seconds as instructed, nothing happens? Tried this many different ways but no "OFF/Acc to learn" on the DIC. It's just blank??
Anybody have an idea if I'm doing something wrong or do I need a Tech 2 at the dealer?
Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Did the fob come with a battery? Is the battery right side up and installed correctly. There's a very good sticky at the top of the general section that tells you exactly how to install it. Many owner's install the battery up side down.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Thanks for the reply
Fob has a battery and it's installed properly but that's not the problem. Car won't go into program mode.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

There are a lot of tips in here but take a look at posts 111 and 112 first:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html
Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Originally Posted by RicK T
There are a lot of tips in here but take a look at posts 111 and 112 first:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html
Rick T

I was thinking that maybe the wiring to the switch had been disconnected or I wasn't turning the key enough even though I thought I was going to break the key.

Thanks for digging this up for me! I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Much appreciated!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:49 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Well it would seem the car was messin with me! I put the key in for a last try before I started removing carpet and it worked! Got all three fobs programmed and everything seems to work fine. Time will tell if the new fob does the trick.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:26 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GMJim
Well it would seem the car was messin with me! I put the key in for a last try before I started removing carpet and it worked! Got all three fobs programmed and everything seems to work fine. Time will tell if the new fob does the trick.

Deeeeeeeeeeep down all of these cars are related to Christine!

Elmer
Old 10-10-2013, 04:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GMJim

Good news.

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob reprogramming problem

Quick Reply: Key fob reprogramming problem