C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd torque tube and bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 PM
gsbryant
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd torque tube and bearing failure

I have a 2011 Grand Sport with 30k and will have the 2nd torque tube installed next week since owning the car. I don't race it, burn the tires, and actually haven't even had the car over 95 mph. The only mods are mild to wild, and added Eastwood sound deadener throughout the car. My question is if mild to wild would be having any impact on the bearings failing due to the vibration added. I'd be surprised if that was the cause but I'm wanting to know if anyone out there thinks it's a possibility. I've searched the forum and haven't seen any discussions related to m2w. Any other suggestions to ask the dealer to look into are welcome. I'm frustrated this seems to be recurring. My car is in the shop on average for this problem up to 2 weeks each time. This has been due to parts being ordered and delays in shipping mostly. They always replace the torque tube entirely over bearing replacement. They said the labor to tear it apart to replace the bearings would be more than the assembly just being replaced as a unit.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:23 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

there has to be a weird harmonic imbalance in the crank shaft or transmission. I would think the odds of 2 bad torque tubes has to be real low.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:41 PM
gsbryant
Intermediate

Originally Posted by truckplay
there has to be a weird harmonic imbalance in the crank shaft or transmission. I would think the odds of 2 bad torque tubes has to be real low.
It can't be m2w causing that right as it doesn't have anything to do with either the torque tube or torque convertor directly, or does it throw the whole system out of a harmonic balance?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by gsbryant
It can't be m2w causing that right as it doesn't have anything to do with either the torque tube or torque convertor directly, or does it throw the whole system out of a harmonic balance?
All the m2w does is open the fuse and open your exhaust flaps. No way it could be affecting your torque tube.

I wonder if the mounting flanges of your ring gear or torque converter were built slightly out of spec/round. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause this two times in a row.

Is it the forward bearing or rear bearing that goes out?

What are the symptoms when it goes out? Is there vibration even when you got the new tube before the bearing went out?
Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 PM
gsbryant
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe_G
All the m2w does is open the fuse and open your exhaust flaps. No way it could be affecting your torque tube.

I wonder if the mounting flanges of your ring gear or torque converter were built slightly out of spec/round. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause this two times in a row.

Is it the forward bearing or rear bearing that goes out?

What are the symptoms when it goes out? Is there vibration even when you got the new tube before the bearing went out?
Unfortunately the last time they didn't take apart the torque tube to check the failure. I'm asking them to do so this time. I will ask them about your suggestion, thank you .
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Trention
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't be M2W or any other non-drive train related vibration. Something is out of balance or missaligned. I would make sure that the torque tube is being replaced and not just the bearings.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

They aren't reusing the drive shaft are they? Just asking for clarity. TIA
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 PM
gsbryant
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RicK T
They aren't reusing the drive shaft are they? Just asking for clarity. TIA
I believe they are asking for the entire assembly as the first order was only the tube with nothing in it. That was the reason for the delay in getting my car.

Wouldn't the entire assembly also include a new drive shaft?

I will have to ask them and make sure... Thank you
Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 PM
69LS1Pro
Racer

Mild to Wild would not effect it at all. The Torq tubes are not that difficult to tear apart. They also make aftermarket bushings that are normally the culprit. I would def let them tear it apart to see what is failing and go from there. Is this the dealer or independent shop??
Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

I believe they are asking for the entire assembly as the first order was only the tube with nothing in it. That was the reason for the delay in getting my car.

Wouldn't the entire assembly also include a new drive shaft?

I will have to ask them and make sure... Thank you
Yea, I just want to make sure you know because drive shafts do bend, even so very slightly, and cause vibration that wrecks everything else.

I'm not familiar with how those parts work. I would think they could order a tube with or without the shaft.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM
gsbryant
Intermediate

I was asked what indicated I had this problem.
Best way to describe it is your car will begin to sound like a Model T and have metallic scraping and knocking noises which are consistent with the engine speed. Mostly you hear them near a wall like a drive through, but you can also feel it when at idle or braking. It is a separate sound from the injector tick and louder. The problem can be induced more prevalently according to the dealer power braking.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would ABSOLUTELY make sure they show you the shaft they pull out of your Vette when you pick it up. Make sure they replaced the shaft and not just the tube and bearings. You have an imbalance somewhere and the best place to start looking is that shaft inside the tube.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 AM
hydbyj
Instructor

Default torque tube problem

i own a 2009 base corvette with the A6 automatic. i wasn't satisfied with the performance ie. 430 hp...it felt like a lucky to reach 300hp. i had it tuned and installed a cam and 3.42 gears. Chuck cow did a fantastic job, the car was transformed to a rocket. i took it to the track to see what my time slips would be, after the third pass i felt a vibration and stopped. it (the vibration) got progressively worse. find out the propeller shaft which is inside the torque tube was twisted. it required replacing the entire assembly. the torque tube itself is just a housing with no moving parts....the propeller shaft is a driveshaft that if out of balance will cause vibrations and the scraping noises you describe. on either end of the propeller shaft are two rubber and braided material that replaces what used to be universal joints, these also can fail.to replace the torque tube only is about as stupid a procedure i can imagine. it is the moving parts inside that matters. the original propeller shaft is supposed to be capable of handling up to 1100 hp. my car was nowhere near that and failed. hope this helps to clarify your situation.

jerry
Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Best way to describe it is your car will begin to sound like a Model T and have metallic scraping and knocking noises which are consistent with the engine speed. Mostly you hear them near a wall like a drive through, but you can also feel it when at idle or braking. It is a separate sound from the injector tick and louder. The problem can be induced more prevalently according to the dealer power braking.
Here's more on the subject from Chuck CoW:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1582774982-post9.html
Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you guys!

Originally Posted by hydbyj
i own a 2009 base corvette with the A6 automatic. i wasn't satisfied with the performance ie. 430 hp...it felt like a lucky to reach 300hp. i had it tuned and installed a cam and 3.42 gears. Chuck cow did a fantastic job, the car was transformed to a rocket. i took it to the track to see what my time slips would be, after the third pass i felt a vibration and stopped. it (the vibration) got progressively worse. find out the propeller shaft which is inside the torque tube was twisted. it required replacing the entire assembly. the torque tube itself is just a housing with no moving parts....the propeller shaft is a driveshaft that if out of balance will cause vibrations and the scraping noises you describe. on either end of the propeller shaft are two rubber and braided material that replaces what used to be universal joints, these also can fail.to replace the torque tube only is about as stupid a procedure i can imagine. it is the moving parts inside that matters. the original propeller shaft is supposed to be capable of handling up to 1100 hp. my car was nowhere near that and failed. hope this helps to clarify your situation.

jerry

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsbryant View Post

Thank you guys.

Yes, these torque tubes and isolators (guibos) do go bad. Typically, the outer housing or "complete torque tube" does not need replacing
provided the inner shaft has not caused major damage inside the other
when it fails.

Both shaft and guibos need to be replaced at the same time and a shaft that "looks" straight usually is NOT.

A "SLIGHT" bend will turn intro a noise making monster if you try to reuse a shaft that's no good.

A complete housing (and tube) replacement at the dealer an covers more problems with one part, but regardless you need

someone familiar with how these work or you'll end up wit the same problem time after time.

Don't feel foolish having to ask for help a second time....I've seen a few cars bite my hand more than once!

Fix it right the first time.
Chuck CoW
Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 PM
hydbyj
Instructor

Originally Posted by RicK T

this reply by Chuck refers to an older version of the torque tube assbly. the newer ones don't have the plastic ring he is referring to in this situation. i am not sure when this was posted by Chuck. if money was not an issue i would get a pfadt carbon fiber shaft and their rubber couplers, that will put the issue behind you for sure.

jerry
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Just as an aside, it's "giubo."

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd torque tube and bearing failure

Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 PM
hydbyj
Instructor

I have a 2011 Grand Sport with 30k and will have the 2nd torque tube installed next week since owning the car. I don't race it, burn the tires, and actually haven't even had the car over 95 mph. The only mods are mild to wild, and added Eastwood sound deadener throughout the car. My question is if mild to wild would be having any impact on the bearings failing due to the vibration added. I'd be surprised if that was the cause but I'm wanting to know if anyone out there thinks it's a possibility. I've searched the forum and haven't seen any discussions related to m2w. Any other suggestions to ask the dealer to look into are welcome. I'm frustrated this seems to be recurring. My car is in the shop on average for this problem up to 2 weeks each time. This has been due to parts being ordered and delays in shipping mostly. They always replace the torque tube entirely over bearing replacement. They said the labor to tear it apart to replace the bearings would be more than the assembly just being replaced as a unit.
if they just replaced the outer torque tube, they would have had to take the old one apart and remove the propeller shaft, bearings, and rubber couplers, and install those parts in the new torque tube to make it work. so if someone said it would cost more to take the old one apart, than they are full of it. once the torque tube is out of the car the guts are simple to replace. there is one snap ring that holds the front bearing in place and once that is removed the whole assbly comes apart easy. someone isn't telling the true story here

jerry
Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM
hydbyj
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Thank you guys.

Yes, these torque tubes and isolators (guibos) do go bad. Typically, the outer housing or "complete torque tube" does not need replacing
provided the inner shaft has not caused major damage inside the other
when it fails.

Both shaft and guibos need to be replaced at the same time and a shaft that "looks" straight usually is NOT.

A "SLIGHT" bend will turn intro a noise making monster if you try to reuse a shaft that's no good.

A complete housing (and tube) replacement at the dealer an covers more problems with one part, but regardless you need

someone familiar with how these work or you'll end up wit the same problem time after time.

Don't feel foolish having to ask for help a second time....I've seen a few cars bite my hand more than once!

Fix it right the first time.
Chuck CoW

Old 09-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Heres a text book example of a shaft that exceeded its RPM limit (OVER REV)

Gublios:

Believe it or not, I reused this prop shaft and I have ZERO issues with the drive train on my 02 ZO6.

BC

Quick Reply: 2nd torque tube and bearing failure