C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to the vette life and already pissed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM
caliboigs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the vette life and already pissed

One month ago I brought a 2012 c6 grand sport with only 7105 mi on it. I had it two days and the car died on me, it went to missing, idleing very ruff, them reduced power and both the maintenance light and service traction control light came on all within about 2mins. Towed it into dealership...they didn't know what was wrong...car wouldn'trun long enough to read codes they said...so they replaced the motor, rewrote the ecu..come to find out both cats were completely clogged...so they ordered a new exhaust system.. the car was in shop for 22 days...got it back this last Thursday and low and behold car did the same thing cruising at 60mph...towed it back to dealership and today they told me the o2 sensors were bad...but the converters were clogged again...only 78mi on new motor and exhaust...if anyone can tell me wtf is going on with my car, is it common or is it a random act of possessed lemon car?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Got to be a lemon...On my sceond C6 with zero major issues...hate to say it but you never know what you are getting buying used...it should be under warranty good luck getting her fixed
Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 PM
caliboigs
Intermediate

Default thanks

Wondering if it is...everyone I talk to has not had such a problem with theirs...ugh hoping they can fix it,take it, or give me another one...well see
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM
e weezie
Racer

Can't believe they gave you a new LS3 without even diagnosing a problem! That's crazy. Hope you get it straitened out.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 PM
caliboigs
Intermediate

Preston hood said so far they have spent over 15k on a car with 7400 miles...they said Rhys unheard of and they want to find what is going on..so I'm stuck in a Chevy Cruz for now....I guess atleast they gave me a rental.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by caliboigs
Preston hood said so far they have spent over 15k on a car with 7400 miles...they said Rhys unheard of and they want to find what is going on..so I'm stuck in a Chevy Cruz for now....I guess atleast they gave me a rental.
WOW!!!!! Good Luck.
I can't believe they spent $$ on a new engine, and didn't replace the O2 sensors, cats etc, which would of got fouled up when the old engine was running like crap, with the fuel air ratio running who knows how rich. I would think that a new computer to assure that the new engine operates correctly would also be in the mix as well.

I'd be pissed as well..
Hopefully, they will resolve the issues so you can put it all behind you and enjoy this great cruiser...and not a CRUZ

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 09-30-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 PM
caliboigs
Intermediate

I figured since they put an new exhaust on it they would have put new o2 sensors....I guess I was wrong...
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Codes can be read without the engine running - this sounds like an ECU problem or CAN bus issue. You really need someone who understands the electronics and it sounds like they don't.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM
caliboigs
Intermediate

If they can't figure it out soon, I'm going to ask them if they can send it to a dealership that has Corvette experience...not trying to sound rude but Cmon they are supposed to be a corvette tech
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One month ago I brought a 2012 c6 grand sport with only 7105 mi on it. I had it two days and the car died on me, it went to missing, idleing very ruff, them reduced power and both the maintenance light and service traction control light came on all within about 2mins. Towed it into dealership...they didn't know what was wrong...car wouldn'trun long enough to read codes they said...so they replaced the motor, rewrote the ecu..come to find out both cats were completely clogged...so they ordered a new exhaust system.. the car was in shop for 22 days...got it back this last Thursday and low and behold car did the same thing cruising at 60mph...towed it back to dealership and today they told me the o2 sensors were bad...but the converters were clogged again...only 78mi on new motor and exhaust...if anyone can tell me wtf is going on with my car, is it common or is it a random act of possessed lemon car?
What is in the gas tank? A cat failure twice in a row with two different engines sounds like someone put leaded racing gas or sometng like that in the tank. Cats don't fail these days for no reason. I would think there is improper gas in the tank, the engine is passing oil, or fuel is not being burned properly in the engine and is burning in the exhaust (possible vacuum leak).

There has to be a simple answer. Was anything moved over from the first engine to the second? If so it could be the culprit. Have you talked with another shop? Perhaps one that specializes in Corvettes. There is not much about the C6 engine control that is special over anything else on the road these days though.... Sounds like these guys are not troubleshooting effectively if they need the engine to run properly to get codes. Maybe they are not using the right equipment... Either way they should know better.

Matt
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 PM
caliboigs
Intermediate

I defiantly agree mat, as far as I know, nothing in fuel tank when I bought it it only had 1/8 tank gas then I put shell 93 in it...as Dar as motor the only thing they said they re used was the headers and both o2 sensors.Ill know more tomorrow hopefully..they have a vette tech coming tomorrow to look into it further...either way I know I'm going to atleast need new cats and o2sensors...wondering if the previous owner messed with the fuel setting with a tune or something.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Change dealership for your servicing .Obviously someone there doesnt know what they are doing.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Oh no!

So sorry to hear about the vehicle concerns. If you wish to open a GM case with us due to your vehicle issues, please contact us privately and include your name, phone number, VIN, and service adviser at the dealer.

Regards,

William R. (assisting Kelly & Marissa)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by e weezie
Can't believe they gave you a new LS3 without even diagnosing a problem!
I couldn't believe that also.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 AM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by debo
I couldn't believe that also.
x2 Sorry to hear about the problems with your c6. FWIW, I've had 3 GM's in my life, a 94 vette, 99 z28 and 06 c6. They have been the three most reliable cars I've owned in 30yrs of driving(owned japanese and euro imports too). They were all full bolt-on, with two of the 3 with stall converters. All have been down the track many times and never needed anything but oil/coolant changes, pads/rotors, one set of shocks, one left axle seal(c6) and two new batteries in 16 yrs of GM ownership. The ls1 z28 now has 155000 miles on original motor and original auto trans! I hope you get it all worked out.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:41 AM
C4C5C6
Intermediate

I'd stay with the dealer working on your car.
Pretty soon they will have replaced EVERYTHING..... under warranty.

I'd be happy as a clam (however happy they are) that I was getting all these NEW parts at no cost to me (you).

Let them rebuild the whole car.
Could be the transmission, ya know?
Could be the differential, ay?
Might be one or all of the what? 17 on board computers?

As long as they are ready, willing and able to replace entire, huge/costly sub-assemblies, let them have at it.
Get them to reset the mileage back to ZERO since they will have built you a whole new Vette.

PS: What they are doing is called the "shotgun" method of trouble diagnosis.
That's where the unknowing/unknowledgeable replace everything until they finally hit the right part.

Who are they? I'd like to take my Vette to them and get it completely rebuilt.

PS: Good luck with getting this all squared away. Vettes aren't nearly trouble prone as they may seem when you do have a problem. It's mostly a lack of vehicle specific training by GM.

Hang in there. It will be a GREAT vehicle when one of the buckshot pellets hits the right part causing the trouble AND you get all the rest of the stuff for F-R-E-E !!!!!
Chill out and have patience, they will find the trouble and I'd venture to say your Vette will be trouble free for a long time to come after this fiasco is over.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 AM
AWARE02
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would be interested in what the dealership has to say.......

Get notified of new replies

To new to the vette life and already pissed

Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

New motor without knowing what the problem is and you want to switch dealers ?

Doesn't sound right to me.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

I would start pushing for another car, rattle some cages for sure...This one now has a history which will likely affect resale. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
I would start pushing for another car, rattle some cages for sure...This one now has a history which will likely affect resale. Good luck!
It was USED when he bought it (7105 miles). Nobody "exchanges" a used car for a new one.

Quick Reply: new to the vette life and already pissed