C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Adviceon a Bolt in Rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Need Adviceon a Bolt in Rollbar

I'm planning on a bolt in (NHRA LEGAL) roll bar in my 05 C6....

Anyone do this and is it an easy job, or will I butcher the car trying to get it installed ??

I'm planning on a 5 pt. with a swing out bar so I can remove it when I'm not racing...

Also for 11.5 and quicker NHRA requires a roll bar, do I also need a 5 pt. seat belt, and fire jacket..

I expect to run low 11 or high 10's .. my biggest concern is how difficult it is to get the roll bar in with out cutting up the car too much...

Thanks
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Jpee Forum member HOXXOH makes a bolt in and easily removable roll bar but you have to weld the brackets , its really nice, he can take it out in 10 minutes, or you can go to carteks guy and get a permanent one
Old 09-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Clover0925
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not bad, most bolt in cages don't require much cutting. I haven't seen one available with swing outs that bolts. I plan on doing a chrome moly cage in my c6 this winter. 8 point with swing outs, but I plan to weld it. Plate the sides and cut the floors for x braces to tie in everything.

I have seen some nice bolt in cages but I would prefer them in chrome moly and not 1.75 Dom steel.
Good luck in your search and post up your findings.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I had a Wolfe Roll bar in my deceased C5 and it saved my life when I flipped my C5 in excess of 100 mph and landed very hard on the top. It was a 6 point with both arms swing out. Also you can get away with a 5 point belt setup. So glad I had this in my boosted C5.

PFADT makes a very popular one for the C6.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by peter pan
I had a Wolfe Roll bar in my deceased C5 and it saved my life when I flipped my C5 in excess of 100 mph and landed very hard on the top. It was a 6 point with both arms swing out. Also you can get away with a 5 point belt setup. So glad I had this in my boosted C5.

PFADT makes a very popular one for the C6.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just be aware of the NHRA rules for rollbars if you want to be assured of passing tech. There is no NHRA certification process for rollbars, so each track's techs are the ones who determine legality. They may be lax and approve PCV pipe glued to the carpet or they may open the rulebook to make sure it complies with the NHRA rules.

Among the requirements to be NHRA legal is the method of attachment. Here's what the 2013 rulebook states: "All vehicles with OEM frame must have rollbar welded or bolted to frame" Since all Corvettes have an OEM frame, that's how and where the rollbar must be attached. Anything less is not NHRA legal.

You'll also need a 5 or 6 point harness and firejacket. Crow makes a reasonably priced harness that can be re-certified for an additional 2 years for a nominal fee. You can mod your stock seat to make pass-throughs for the belts that won't ever appear different than original. Member WayneO showed me the trick and I have pics if needed.

If you buy an Ultra-Shield jacket, get it one size larger than what they recommend. They don't allow room for our old fart bellies.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Just be aware of the NHRA rules for rollbars if you want to be assured of passing tech. There is no NHRA certification process for rollbars, so each track's techs are the ones who determine legality. They may be lax and approve PCV pipe glued to the carpet or they may open the rulebook to make sure it complies with the NHRA rules.

Among the requirements to be NHRA legal is the method of attachment. Here's what the 2013 rulebook states: "All vehicles with OEM frame must have rollbar welded or bolted to frame" Since all Corvettes have an OEM frame, that's how and where the rollbar must be attached. Anything less is not NHRA legal.

You'll also need a 5 or 6 point harness and firejacket. Crow makes a reasonably priced harness that can be re-certified for an additional 2 years for a nominal fee. You can mod your stock seat to make pass-throughs for the belts that won't ever appear different than original. Member WayneO showed me the trick and I have pics if needed.

If you buy an Ultra-Shield jacket, get it one size larger than what they recommend. They don't allow room for our old fart bellies.
Thanks guys for the help... you got me on the right track now.. I'll be checking on the motor this week,,,,
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 AM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I just put an RSD in my car for Drag Week. The install was great, super easy for the most part, and it passed tech with flying colors. Door bars are easily removable. Can't say enough good stuff about it honestly.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Not sure how techs would interpret frame attachment but any roll bar that welds to the upright behind the seats isn't welded to the frame. That upright is nothing but a piece of thin sheet metal and isn't rated for vertical loads. If the stock halo collapses onto the roll bar the roll bar will push through or collapse the mounting upright. Not a good thing either way since the gas line between the two fuel tanks is directly under it.

Proper way to fasten the roll bar is to transfer the vertical load to the B Pillar near the floor by welding a roll bar support bracket to the pillar. I got this information from one of the Corvette design engineers a few years ago.

Bill
Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure how techs would interpret frame attachment but any roll bar that welds to the upright behind the seats isn't welded to the frame. That upright is nothing but a piece of thin sheet metal and isn't rated for vertical loads. If the stock halo collapses onto the roll bar the roll bar will push through or collapse the mounting upright. Not a good thing either way since the gas line between the two fuel tanks is directly under it.

Proper way to fasten the roll bar is to transfer the vertical load to the B Pillar near the floor by welding a roll bar support bracket to the pillar. I got this information from one of the Corvette design engineers a few years ago.

Bill
No need to attach to the B pillar when the actual frame is right under the carpet at floor level. And you are so right about that thin sheet metal behind the seat. Anything you can damage with a 2 lb hammer is nowhere near strong enough to attach a rollbar.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

No need to attach to the B pillar when the actual frame is right under the carpet at floor level. And you are so right about that thin sheet metal behind the seat. Anything you can damage with a 2 lb hammer is nowhere near strong enough to attach a rollbar.
Sometimes it can make more sense to go to the B Pillar depending on how you lay out the bar and what kind of room you need. Still need to weld on the same type of plate to mount to the side of either one unless you drill a hole in the sheet metal upright and drop down on top of the frame. I have seen bars that run through the plastic B Pillar cover and attach to the pillar behind the plastic. Makes for a very clean installation.

Here are a couple of ideas. The first picture shows how the front down bar for a cage is attached to the side of the frame. Something similar can be used in the rear to attach to the frame or the B Pillar. The second picture shows a Pfadt bar attaching to the B Pillar. I gathered these when I was looking to replace the rollbar I had in my C5. This last picture shows the one I had in the C5 and it is an example of what you don't want. It mounted directly to the top of the upright.

Bill
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To Need Adviceon a Bolt in Rollbar

Quick Reply: Need Adviceon a Bolt in Rollbar