C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabled my shift lock...finally.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:48 PM
nightshift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8rx7com
I did this "fix" on my 2005 a couple of years ago.

I offered to help Sparky (ufso) to do the same "fix" to his 2005.

A mutual friend of Sparky and I was having the same problem with his 2007 A6.

After reading several forum posts about the 2006+ A6 shifter being different, I was not sure if we would be able to do the same "fix" with the 2007, but we were willing to give it a try.

Turns out ....the 2007 A6 shifter has the same solenoid controlled latch that fails in the 2005 A4 shifter and the "fix" was the same.

I'm using the word fix in quotes ("fix") because by doing this "fix" you are disabling the shifter lock mechanism which is considered a safety feature (do so at your own risk). The "correct" fix would be to spend a lot of money to replace the whole shifter assembly (that could fail again).

Two helpful hints that I didn't see anyone else post:

#1 - After you remove the radio surround, as seen here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...l-removal.html

You also need to remove the shifter boot housing, there are (2 prong) release tabs located on the shifter boot housing (one towards the dash side and the other towards the center console side). To release these tabs, you need to pinch them together while pulling up on the shift boot at the same time. We used 2 small flat head screw drivers at each side of the tab to push them together.

Here is a drawing I made to "hopefully" explain this better:

#2 – Make sure the orange shift indicator (the indicator that shows you what gear you are in when you shift gears) is working properly before you reassemble everything back together. The shift indicator connects to the shifter via a small round tab that is inserted into a hole in a plastic part located on the side of the shifter shaft. It will likely come un-done when you pull up on the shift boot. It’s easy to put back together, but it can also be easily overlooked during reassembly. The red arrow below shows where the shift indicator comes disconnected from the shifter.

Thank you v8rx7com (Pete) for trying and fixing my shifter, and thank you too my friend Sparky for hosting the fix in your beautiful house. I thought too that A4 and A6 are different, but we were surprised that
it wasn't.. yes me and my friend were both happy camper.. thanks again Pete, you da man!!!!

Here's my 2007 A6 shifter before Pete snipped off the control latch..
Old 11-26-2014, 01:01 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Another BIG thanks for posting all the pictures and info on how to do this!! This forum is GREAT place! Been putting off doing this for awhile, but starting to get worried the putting forward pressure on the shifter would stopping working and leave me stranded. The only thing I did different was just to snip off the pawl instead of tying it back.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 AM
psimms
Racer

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Are you just locked out of reverse or also drive, in other words is it stuck in park
Stuck in PARK
Thank You
Old 12-02-2014, 09:07 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by psimms
Stuck in PARK
Thank You
Then this is a permanent fix for you I still have to push the brake to start, but dont need to to put in gear, also dont need to put ignition switch in on position to move shifter to let car roll back or push in staging lanes or on a trailer
Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 AM
Denny'sVette
1st Gear

Default How it Works

Well after reading this thread and a few more about this problem I decided what is needed is a clear description about how the park lockout actually works. (I read the service manual from pages 7-112 > 7-122 of Volume 3) Here is a summary:

First, there are 3 modules that are involved in the control of the park lockout. The Body Control Module (BCM), the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), and the Transmission Control Module (TCM) plus the Break Light Switch, the Park Switch, and the (infamous) Shift Lock Control Solenoid (also referred to as the park lockout solenoid). Also, there is a serial data link that communicates signals between the BCM, the RCDLR, and the TCM required to activate the park lockout solenoid. All of these units must work properly to release the gear shift park lock. All the electrical system parts can be functioning correctly, but if the correct data signals are not sent nothing happens. Here is a summary of how it works:

1. The brake pedal activates the break switch. That sends a voltage to the brake pedal position sensor in the BCM. That causes a digital signal to be sent to the RCDLR. Inside the RCDLR is a lock control solenoid that supplies the ground for the park lockout solenoid after receiving the digital signal. (If the break light come on or the engine will start, there is nothing wrong with the break light switch.)
2. The TCM sends out a digital signal to indicate the gear selection. This signal is sent to the Shift Lever. The signal must be “Park” for the park lockout solenoid to function. (when it is shifted out of park the solenoid is deactivated so that it won’t waste power or overheat while driving)
3. The engine starts. The ignition circuit sends battery positive voltage to energize the park lockout solenoid.

Therefore there are 2 circuits that must be completed to activate the park lockout solenoid. The battery power by way of the ignition switch, and the ground by way of the break switch. With the TCM sensing the transmission is actually in park.

If all of that works correctly you can now shift out of park!
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny'sVette
Well after reading this thread and a few more about this problem I decided what is needed is a clear description about how the park lockout actually works. (I read the service manual from pages 7-112 > 7-122 of Volume 3) Here is a summary:

First, there are 3 modules that are involved in the control of the park lockout. The Body Control Module (BCM), the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), and the Transmission Control Module (TCM) plus the Break Light Switch, the Park Switch, and the (infamous) Shift Lock Control Solenoid (also referred to as the park lockout solenoid). Also, there is a serial data link that communicates signals between the BCM, the RCDLR, and the TCM required to activate the park lockout solenoid. All of these units must work properly to release the gear shift park lock. All the electrical system parts can be functioning correctly, but if the correct data signals are not sent nothing happens. Here is a summary of how it works:

1. The brake pedal activates the break switch. That sends a voltage to the brake pedal position sensor in the BCM. That causes a digital signal to be sent to the RCDLR. Inside the RCDLR is a lock control solenoid that supplies the ground for the park lockout solenoid after receiving the digital signal. (If the break light come on or the engine will start, there is nothing wrong with the break light switch.)
2. The TCM sends out a digital signal to indicate the gear selection. This signal is sent to the Shift Lever. The signal must be “Park” for the park lockout solenoid to function. (when it is shifted out of park the solenoid is deactivated so that it won’t waste power or overheat while driving)
3. The engine starts. The ignition circuit sends battery positive voltage to energize the park lockout solenoid.

Therefore there are 2 circuits that must be completed to activate the park lockout solenoid. The battery power by way of the ignition switch, and the ground by way of the break switch. With the TCM sensing the transmission is actually in park.

If all of that works correctly you can now shift out of park!
and if any of them doesnt work you can just tie or break or cut the locking pawl off, in most cases its the shift noid that's none replaceable and the whole shifter has to be replaced at a very high cost, the cut break tie mod is free, and a lot of advantages added to the ease of it never happening again
Old 05-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mechanical override

I drilled a small hole in the pawl and ran a wire to the inside if the center console, right by the power outlet. This allows the locking mechanism to function as designed, but gives me a mechanical override to move the pawl whenever needed.
The following users liked this post:
FrankPC (08-24-2016)
Old 05-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Snagle
I drilled a small hole in the pawl and ran a wire to the inside if the center console, right by the power outlet. This allows the locking mechanism to function as designed, but gives me a mechanical override to move the pawl whenever needed.
I had this problem, and I give as best overall solution.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had to use my new cable override twice already...works flawlessly. It is a shame this needed to be done, but the solution works.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

While doing this fix I broke the orange shift indicator... Any ideas on how to find a replacement? I cant find anywhere just the orange plastic part.

Last edited by Wildmanht; 06-06-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:10 PM
camgci
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
It's been getting worse and worse and after being stuck for half an hour on Saturday I decided enough is enough and disabled the shift lock on Sunday. Took about an hour. Did not have to take the console all the way off. Only disconnected the active handling switch harness and the passenger seat belt light then propped the console up on the e-brake handle. The red thing is propping the shifter cover up.

Here's an updated picture.
Big thanks for taking the time to explain and add pictures. Just did mine and it was easier than other threads I read on how to do it.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by camgci
Big thanks for taking the time to explain and add pictures. Just did mine and it was easier than other threads I read on how to do it.
I keep putting it off, and will probably sorry for it.

If it's only an hour's job, maybe I'll jump on it if we get some nice weather soon. Not enough room in the barn where I keep it so I'll have to do it outside.

Attachment 48333511
Old 06-24-2015, 02:26 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Nice job EV... I had an old Blazer that must have worked in reverse because I unplugged the electrical connector for the solenoid and that disabled the system for me.

Last edited by cclive; 06-24-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

OK guys: If I do this fix will my car stay in park if I park on a incline?
Old 07-07-2015, 08:40 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
OK guys: If I do this fix will my car stay in park if I park on a incline?
Yes, it will still lock in Park with the ignition off. The car will still not start without first pushing the brake pedal.
The difference will be:
The shifter will be able to shift out of Park without pushing the brake pedal when the car is started, or in ACC mode.
Most people have it engrained in their brains, to push the brake pedal if shifting out of Park anyway, so it's almost a non issue.

I have the locking pawl tied back, and I still push the brake pedal on instinct when starting the car and keep the brake pedal pushed in until it's in Reverse or Drive.

Hope this answers your concerns.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Yes, it will still lock in Park with the ignition off. The car will still not start without first pushing the brake pedal.
The difference will be:
The shifter will be able to shift out of Park without pushing the brake pedal when the car is started, or in ACC mode.
Most people have it engrained in their brains, to push the brake pedal if shifting out of Park anyway, so it's almost a non issue.

I have the locking pawl tied back, and I still push the brake pedal on instinct when starting the car and keep the brake pedal pushed in until it's in Reverse or Drive.

Hope this answers your concerns.
Got It.Thanks....
Old 07-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 882 Posts

This "de-complicating" of a GM tumor is a no-brainer for me, I just need to find the time.

But I'm sure I'll find the time if my shifter locks up on me somewhere and I have to pay $$ to get the car trucked back home.

Get notified of new replies

To Disabled my shift lock...finally.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:57 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

My 09 A6 is beginning to refuse to shift out of Park occasionally. It usually will operate after several tries. This is very disappointing as a recent owner. I had a 00 Z28 that had a GM designed in flaw in the BCM that would cause the radio and power windows to stop working. I had to dig the stupid thing out myself and re-solder the PC board in the BCM to get everything working again. Chevrolet would only replace the entire assembly, which required re-programming of the unit so that the chipped ignition key would still work. When it first happened, I assumed something was wrong with the radio. I got on a Camaro forum and they were all talking about this well known problem. Why does Chevy 1) design these components so poorly and 2) not step forward with corrective remedies that don't involve replacing full assemblies at huge cost to the customer. My understanding is that the Chevy dealer would fix this by replacing the entire shifter at a cost of $400-$600 (and that might just be the parts). That is abysmal! They create a sub-standard design and then charge the person they sold it to for correcting (if you regard replacing the damn thing with the same crappy designed part a correction) the problem. It's kind of like selling you a car with sub-standard tires and then charging you to replace failed tires with new, sub-standard, ones.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:57 PM
desue
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great info! I'm planning to do this soon as I have had my 05 for a month now and it has already done this to me several times.
Question: Any tips on how to safely pry up console without breaking anything?
Thanks everyone for great info and pics
Old 11-13-2015, 07:57 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by desue
Great info! I'm planning to do this soon as I have had my 05 for a month now and it has already done this to me several times.
Question: Any tips on how to safely pry up console without breaking anything?
Thanks everyone for great info and pics
Prying the trim piece loose really isn't the challenge. It's going to be all of the electrical switch connectors in back that all seem to have varying means of unlocking from the wiring harnesses. I did my 07 A6 vert a month ago and that was my great frustration.

Quick Reply: Disabled my shift lock...finally.