C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 gs brake flutter at speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 PM
InfernoOrange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 gs brake flutter at speed

I have a 2011 grand sport with 9000 miles on it. When I'm at highway speeds, and my brakes are hot, I feel a flutter when I brake slightly aggressively. (I am positive it is not the antilock system, I'm not braking that hard). My suspicion is that I have a warped rotor. That said, has anyone experienced this? I've driven the car hard on a couple of occasions, but I would be surprised if I generated enough heat to warp a rotor. Is brake flutter common, or uncommon with Grand Sports? Before I bring it to the dealer I want to know, because A: it probably isn't covered under warranty, and B: I can easily change it myself and avoid the dealers "premium."
Can anyone share any insight?
thanks,
Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 08:51 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I doubt it's a rotor. I think you may be experiencing an uneven distribution of pad material on one or more rotors which in turn causes the "juddering" you feel. We'll hope that's all it is anyway.

Review this information on bedding brake pads, understand and heed all the cautions and warnings then go do it. You obviously have to pick the right highway at the right time of day so as not to involve other drivers.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM
InfernoOrange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I'll try that.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Rotors don't warp. However, they do get uneven pad deposits. Those deposits can come from stopping with hot rotors and then holding the brakes on. The next time you use the brakes the deposits get hot and the surface friction of the rotor changes where the deposit is located and you get brake shudder. Sometimes you can get rid of it by using the brakes harder sometimes you can't.

Bill
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

it's hard to warp rotors on a GS. I would suggest shaking the front end down checking axle nuts and wheel bearings.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 gs brake flutter at speed

Quick Reply: 2011 gs brake flutter at speed