C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a Vette w/a medium cam???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Selling a Vette w/a medium cam???

My neighbor has a 2007 Vette w/ a Kooks Headers Vararam intake, and a sort of aggressive cam...

He has it for sale at what I "THINK" is a fair price.. not giving it away, but not over the top on price.. he wants to get a 2013 (new)

However he is having BIG problems selling his 2007.. when a prospective buyer gets in it the first thing they ask why does it idle so rough etc... & he has to explain the cam and how it helps at higher RPM..

When he tried to trade it in the dealer said he wouldn't take the car with the cam in it or would give him $2000 less than book value...

My question is.. I "WAS" thinking of putting a cam in my 05 (A4) that has a few bolt on's and has run 11.59 with the stock cam & rockers...

Now I'm afraid to put in a cam if I plan on selling it in a year or two???

I am leaning to 1.8 rockers (I already ported the stock (LS2) intake (done by Cartek in NJ)

My car is running great as is but I keep wanting a cam, so I can run 11.5 in the summer heat.. (my 11.59 was in March cool air)

Anyone have problems selling a C6 with a cam ??
Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,198 Likes on 692 Posts

Many dealers don't want a modified car. First, it may not pass visual and/or smog inspection in states with strict laws for inspection prior to titling. Since the car has headers, buyers may have recourse against the seller for selling an unlawful good. Second, it suggests the car was raced or driven hard. Most buyers want a cream puff. Sure it's a vette, but most car buyers are conditioned to staying away from cars that were driven hard. Finally, most car guys like to pick their own mods and enjoy the process. Finding a buyer that wants exactly what you've done can be hard.

If your timetable to sell is really as early as one year, I would leave the car alone. If you want a cam, a mild cam is much easier to sell because a good tune can have it drive like stock. On my last Camaro, I raised the idle speed a bit to smooth it like stock before I put it up for sale. After the sale, I offered to adjust it to the buyer's taste before he drove off.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
John harlen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not entirely correct. While some dealers do not like modified vehicles, some like to "pretend" they don't like getting modified vehicles and cut you short, because they can.
But when they get it from you, they will sell it for more money, with it modified.

You need to know your target audience when you sell a modified vehicle. If you have an older gentleman who doesn't know oil from transmission fluid, you're going to have a hard time selling it to him.
You are looking for someone who appreciates and desires the modifications.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 PM
1fastbob
Racer

Modified vehicles in general are harder to sell. I would not buy a modified used one unless I knew the previous owner or there was a complete history with it. I would say that 95% of dealers would not want it with out a big discount.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,198 Likes on 692 Posts

Whether its modified or not, the dealer attempts to buy the car at a low price and sell it for more money. The issue is the market size and competition for the car. Go in and tell a reputable dealer that you have removed or altered federally covered emissions control equipment and most will walk away. Some used car lots will take it, but the market is small compared to an unmodified car. Others may take it not realizing the extent of what they bought.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm not sure how far you are from northern NJ, and I know this doesn't really help with your question, but you might want to pass along this link to your neighbor. They specialize in classic and modified cars and the owner says Vettes always sell, modified or not.

http://www.musclegarage.com/index.htm
Old 07-25-2013, 02:13 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shado
I'm not sure how far you are from northern NJ, and I know this doesn't really help with your question, but you might want to pass along this link to your neighbor. They specialize in classic and modified cars and the owner says Vettes always sell, modified or not.

http://www.musclegarage.com/index.htm
Thanks for the "Heads Up" ... I'll pass it along to him & see if he wants to take a ride out there.. It's not too far, we live in Westchester County NY..
Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM
cbell57
Heel & Toe

I had a 98 with a cam and sold my car to a dealer for trade. He gave me book. Saying he couldn't get any more for it because of the mods. and then sold the car for 4 thousand more, because of all the upgrades. I spent 11,000 to take it from a 345 hp to 485. He loved the deal, I hated the deal! It was a 22,000 dollar car that I sold to him for 13k, then he sold a week later for 17k. what a great deal for him!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:00 PM
cbell57
Heel & Toe

When you go through dealers doing trade ins...you take a lick'n! Everyone knows that. But it was easier to do than sell myself and deal with the crap of tire kickers!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 AM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee

However he is having BIG problems selling his 2007.. when a prospective buyer gets in it the first thing they ask why does it idle so rough etc... & he has to explain the cam and how it helps at higher RPM..
How come the prospective buyer doesn't already know the car has a cam?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by cbell57
I had a 98 with a cam and sold my car to a dealer for trade. He gave me book. Saying he couldn't get any more for it because of the mods. and then sold the car for 4 thousand more, because of all the upgrades. I spent 11,000 to take it from a 345 hp to 485. He loved the deal, I hated the deal! It was a 22,000 dollar car that I sold to him for 13k, then he sold a week later for 17k. what a great deal for him!
never would have let it go for $13k...that would have sold (in good shape) in the private market quick...or would have just kept it!!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:39 AM
cbell57
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
never would have let it go for $13k...that would have sold (in good shape) in the private market quick...or would have just kept it!!
You would figure. A mint Vette , faster than hell race ready..
In one year of trying to sell it anywhere from 22 to 18, had one person come out and drive it. They were also concerned about the rough idle. You see. I think in this day and time especially after the recession and it being performance I believe there was and still is a narrow market for that particular car. 123 k miles showing. Even with freshly rebuilt LS1 with on 15k miles. I think I got what I deserved , really.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
My neighbor has a 2007 Vette w/ a Kooks Headers Vararam intake, and a sort of aggressive cam...

He has it for sale at what I "THINK" is a fair price.. not giving it away, but not over the top on price.. he wants to get a 2013 (new)

When he tried to trade it in the dealer said he wouldn't take the car with the cam in it or would give him $2000 less than book value...

My question is.. I "WAS" thinking of putting a cam in my 05 (A4) that has a few bolt on's and has run 11.59 with the stock cam & rockers...

Now I'm afraid to put in a cam if I plan on selling it in a year or two???

I am leaning to 1.8 rockers (I already ported the stock (LS2) intake (done by Cartek in NJ)

My car is running great as is but I keep wanting a cam, so I can run 11.5 in the summer heat.. (my 11.59 was in March cool air)

Anyone have problems selling a C6 with a cam ??

I had that with my mild cam c5 z06...

Don't do it. Enjoy your car the way it is especially if your thinking a couple of years for a new ride.

It was a pain in the butt and not worth it.

Even private sales get tough once you swap cams..

JMO
Old 07-28-2013, 04:37 PM
GoHokiesGo
Advanced

I bought my car from an individual with the heads/cam and all other mods already completed. The work was all done by Cartek, they had maintenance records, and I had Cartek do a thorough inspection on the car right before I bought it to verify condition.

I'd say if you have Cartek perform the work and you keep a copy of your maintenance records, it shouldn't be exceptionally difficult. I knew Cartek did trustworthy work and they had a good relationship with the previous owner - that was enough for me.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:44 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

buying a modified car is a CRAP SHOOT. It could be fine or a TICKING TIME BOMB.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by truckplay
buying a modified car is a CRAP SHOOT. It could be fine or a TICKING TIME BOMB.
I agree a highly modded car could be problems just like any used car you are thinking of buying. On the other hand you would think cars costing as much as newer Corvettes do that the owners have had the mods done correctly.
When in doubt take the car to a reputable shop for inspection if the seller balks then move on.

Last edited by bosco 08; 07-29-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: sp

Get notified of new replies

To Selling a Vette w/a medium cam???

Quick Reply: Selling a Vette w/a medium cam???