C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 ticking under load; any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 PM
zee11
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS2 ticking under load; any ideas?

Hey guys. I've got an LS2 with 50k miles that just starting making a ticking sound under load. I've had many LS1s and LS6s in the past so I'm familiar with how noisy these things are normally, but this is definitely something else.

So basically I accelerated in 1st gear, had a little wheel hop, so let off. Ticking started right after that. Only mods are intake, catless longtubes, and exhaust.

I'm hoping it's an exhaust leak, but I've personally never had one that sounded like ticking.

You can't hear it at idle. It's pretty much only under load. For example, if I'm accelerating in 4th at 1500rpm and 15% throttle, you'll hear a steady/noticeable "tick "tick "tick" that IS rpm dependent. But if I let off the gas, the ticking sound goes away completely, despite the car still being at 1500 rpms. I don't really hear it at all if it's just idling and I rev the engine.

You guys have any ideas? The car still drives 100%, idles smoothly, etc. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

when did it start? did you change the oil ? could you have gotten bad gas ?

if you have headers they always sound different, check your clamps. you know about the noisy injectors.

try some oil & fuel additives and hope for the best.

Last edited by truckplay; 07-16-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 AM
1fastbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing I would look at is the exhaust system. Maybe the wheel hop shook something loose on the exhaust. Check the clamps that connect the H pipe to the mufflers first and then work forward. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Header/manifold leaks can sound like a ticking sometimes......?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by zr0skilz
Hey guys. I've got an LS2 with 50k miles that just starting making a ticking sound under load. I've had many LS1s and LS6s in the past so I'm familiar with how noisy these things are normally, but this is definitely something else.

So basically I accelerated in 1st gear, had a little wheel hop, so let off. Ticking started right after that. Only mods are intake, catless longtubes, and exhaust.

I'm hoping it's an exhaust leak, but I've personally never had one that sounded like ticking.

You can't hear it at idle. It's pretty much only under load. For example, if I'm accelerating in 4th at 1500rpm and 15% throttle, you'll hear a steady/noticeable "tick "tick "tick" that IS rpm dependent. But if I let off the gas, the ticking sound goes away completely, despite the car still being at 1500 rpms. I don't really hear it at all if it's just idling and I rev the engine.

You guys have any ideas? The car still drives 100%, idles smoothly, etc. Thanks.
I had a leaky header gasket and the tuner was listening with a stethoscope . It sounded like a broken rocker under load. My great dealer mechanic knew just about instantly it was the gasket. Gotta love a good GM mechanic.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Have you made any progress on the ticking noise since your last post, zr0skilz?

Sarah (Assisting Kelly)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM
movado750
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theVcar
I had a leaky header gasket and the tuner was listening with a stethoscope . It sounded like a broken rocker under load. My great dealer mechanic knew just about instantly it was the gasket. Gotta love a good GM mechanic.

Just had it happen to me.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 PM
zee11
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by movado750

Just had it happen to me.

Yup! That's exactly what it was. Swapped out the header gasket and the sound is gone!

Thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 ticking under load; any ideas?

Quick Reply: LS2 ticking under load; any ideas?