C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calcuim buildup in engine head?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:26 PM
2fastfu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calcuim buildup in engine head?!!?

Ok I removed my cylinder head the other day and found something wierd i have never seen before! There was calcium buildup blocking 75% of just the lower coolant passages of the heads. I poked it out with my fingers and all of came out no problem. How can I get the rest out of the calcium out of the other cylinder head (i'm sure it has it to) without pulling it and get the rest out of engine block or hoses? I have already had an engine flush? can you use CLR or something simular or would that mess up the seals?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Sounds like someone used the wrong antifreeze/coolant combo.

-Carl
Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Actually it sounds like someone used a garden hose for the water source instead of distilled water.

A reverse flush could help... but once its blocked up its difficult to remove all of it. You may be able to run some CLR through the system... that is known to brake down calcium, just not sure how much you would need to run. You may be able to just add it to the fluid... It should help over time. Make sure you use distilled water in the future though.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 07-05-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM
2fastfu
Racer

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
Actually it sounds like someone used a garden hose for the water source instead of distilled water.

A reverse flush could help... but once its blocked up its difficult to remove all of it. You may be able to run some CLR through the system... that is known to brake down calcium, just not sure how much you would need to run. You may be able to just add it to the fluid... It should help over time. Make sure you use distilled water in the future though.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
I was using distilled and coolant at first and then switched to purified water once I started using royal purple ice and purified bottled water.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
2fastfu
Racer

I also talked to the engine shop that built the motor and he said if he remebers right that the bottom passages are blocked off by gasket and that is a good reason why the build up was only on the bottom part and not the top of the heads?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

are you still running DEXCOOL? because it leaves a chaulky residue when expossed to the air.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 AM
DTH STR
Advanced

Originally Posted by truckplay
are you still running DEXCOOL? because it leaves a chaulky residue when expossed to the air.
Agreed!!

Shahram
Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastfu
I was using distilled and coolant at first and then switched to purified water once I started using royal purple ice and purified bottled water.
This is NOT distilled water; salts still there.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

As a reference, I just checked the heads I took off my 71K mile factory Dexcool filled LS3 and found them unbelievably clean. No residue of any kind.

Get notified of new replies

To Calcuim buildup in engine head?!!?

Quick Reply: Calcuim buildup in engine head?!!?