C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a flooder, having a few electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:56 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Congratulations, what a pain and I'm sorry you went through so much trouble for a simple fix. I'll look at my fuse box when I get home tonight if no one has posted a picture by then.

Enjoy your car now

They appear to be right next to each other in this pic from kawal's site: so I will definitely be checking mine now to see if something has changed.

Last edited by sevinn; 07-19-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Congratulations, what a pain and I'm sorry you went through so much trouble for a simple fix. I'll look at my fuse box when I get home tonight if no one has posted a picture by then.

Enjoy your car now

They appear to be right next to each other in this pic from kawal's site: so I will definitely be checking mine now to see if something has changed.
By looking at this pic, I have the top fuse in the wrong position. The top fuse is for the power seats.

My power seats are working, but I went ahead and dropped the top fuse to match your pic and it didn't make any difference. The seats worked with the top fuse in either location.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

oh boy
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Cool read..thx for sharing the saga...

Best of luck...I'm always amazed at how often our cars issues are based on a very simple fix....

Start at the basic foundational aspects and move upward ...

Enjoy that cool ride.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 AM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sweet!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Well, I have been driving the flooder all weekend, (staying close to home in case any problems popped up) and the only problem was getting fuel in it.

When I stopped at the gas station to fill up the tank, I found that it didn't want to take fuel very fast. It kept spitting it back out and I could only get it to half way on the gauge. I

I don't really think this problem would have anything to so with it being flooded though. I suspect something is going on with the fuel transfer to the opposite tank.

The other problem I had is the cooling fan is not coming on. I had a P0480 code showing up. I can make the fan come on by hot wiring it...it just will not kick on by itself.

As soon as I get the fan working, I am going to take it on a nice long trip and put some miles on it..I spent the rest of the weekend cleaning and polishing.. Here are some pics-
Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Looks great! I tip my hat to you for taking on the challenge. Many folks would not, so it should give you some satisfaction to let the nay sayers see it can be done.

The fan is controlled by a control unit (a sort of variable frequency drive I believe?) way down on the radiator on the passenger side...and there is a big connector that often gives problems, particularly those who command more than 90% fan in their tune.

I'd suggest you clean those connections and check out the controller for water damage as a first step.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Looks good

Originally Posted by wolfgang896
Well, I have been driving the flooder all weekend, (staying close to home in case any problems popped up) and the only problem was getting fuel in it.

When I stopped at the gas station to fill up the tank, I found that it didn't want to take fuel very fast. It kept spitting it back out and I could only get it to half way on the gauge. I

I don't really think this problem would have anything to so with it being flooded though. I suspect something is going on with the fuel transfer to the opposite tank.

The other problem I had is the cooling fan is not coming on. I had a P0480 code showing up. I can make the fan come on by hot wiring it...it just will not kick on by itself.

As soon as I get the fan working, I am going to take it on a nice long trip and put some miles on it..I spent the rest of the weekend cleaning and polishing.. Here are some pics-
You will need a Tech II or some By-directional OBDII software to command the fans on. Turning on the Ac should command them on. It'll make it a lot easier to find which component is not reacting to the command. Sounds like the car hates foreign oil. Try American gas!!! lol!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Looks great! I tip my hat to you for taking on the challenge. Many folks would not, so it should give you some satisfaction to let the nay sayers see it can be done.

The fan is controlled by a control unit (a sort of variable frequency drive I believe?) way down on the radiator on the passenger side...and there is a big connector that often gives problems, particularly those who command more than 90% fan in their tune.

I'd suggest you clean those connections and check out the controller for water damage as a first step.
All the connections are good and I am getting power to the controller. I can unplug the controller and after I plug it back in it will momentarily kick the fan on. I am going to replace the controller and hope for the best.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I love this thread. We don't see cars like this in San Diego. It doesn't flood here. Is there any smell from the carpet or seats? The car looks perfect. Did you pay half the value for it? did you buy it to flip or just enjoy? By the way, get that poor thing away from the waters edge. I think it's had enough of H20!

Last edited by vetten76; 07-21-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Originally Posted by vetten76
I love this thread. We don't see cars like this in San Diego. It doesn't flood here. Is there any smell from the carpet or seats? The car looks perfect. Did you pay half the value for it? did you buy it to flip or just enjoy? By the way, get that poor thing away from the waters edge. I think it's had enough of H20!
Today was the first day my wife rode in the car and she said it looked new and she couldn't smell anything. By the way, my wife has the nose of a blood hound...lol. I bought the car to replace my 04 coupe. I think I can sell my 04 coupe with 34,000 miles on it for pretty close to what I have in this car. I am going from a clean title car to a rebuilt title car, but the money saved is worth it to me..
Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful car!

Sounds like it was a "good idea", Enjoy!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Originally Posted by wolfgang896
All the connections are good and I am getting power to the controller. I can unplug the controller and after I plug it back in it will momentarily kick the fan on. I am going to replace the controller and hope for the best.
Update on the flooder... I replaced the controller for the fan and it did not fix the problem. After that, I ordered a new ecm. I took it in today and had it installed and it fixed the fan. It also fixed the problem I was having with getting fuel in the tank.

The tech told me the ecm was not communicating with the fan or the evap system. It was not allowing the purge solenoid to operate. This was creating a large vacuum in the fuel tank.

So, now that the ECM and BCM have been replaced, I am problem free. Right now, after driving the car today, I feel very confident that I could take a cross country trip and not have to worry about it.

Thanks to everyone that helped and gave their assistance. I will check in next year and provide an update... Hopefully, the only thing it will need will be some new tires...

Last edited by wolfgang896; 08-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Great job and congratulations.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Great job and congratulations.
Say it isnt so. I was enjoying this thread. Its over? Just another normal ride? Lol... Congrats. Enjoy...
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
wolfgang896
Advanced

So I took the car out to the local drag strip tonight and made three passes. Its been at least 15 years since I have made a pass.... (I used to have a high 10 second Camaro), and I have to say I was a little disapointed with the car.

My first pass was the best at 13.35 @ 108 leaving it in drive and going around the water box, straight to the line. I was expecting at least 12.80s...

What should a bone stock 2010 run?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I was also interested in the price, not so that I could say YOU paid too much, but that I might be interested in buying one myself some day. I know they're probably half price but I wonder if anyone ever brought one back to full functionality. Naturally, you won't get as much if you ever sell it, but if you could come close to recouping your purchase and repair costs, it might be a good deal. So, what would be wrong with being STUCK with a Corvette that looks as good as any other for your lifetime???

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a flooder, having a few electrical issues

Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Don't fret over those track times. Look at your 60 foot, you aren't going to get good times spinning or pedaling, particularly in the summer heat and humidity. Also, hot inlet air reduces timing to about 1/2 of commanded timing you would have on a cold day.

In the fall with drag radials you should be in the lower 12's.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

true dat.
Sounds like the car is settling in ok.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I wish I had your patience!