C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer says my power steering punp is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dealer says my power steering punp is leaking

Dealer 400+ for part and I assume about same for labor

Corvette guy...100 for rebuilt part ac delco, and 375 for labor

Do these seem about right

My next option is add power steering fluid until I sell when C7 arrives

What say you??

Last edited by lottavettes; 06-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:12 AM
LS3 Monster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a hell of a crapstorm with my power steering in my c6. Power steering stopped working, took it to dealer. Dealer said bad power steering so they replaced it. $1015 for new pump and labor. One week later and steering is getting stiff again but fluids look good.....so.....?????? rack and pinion now? geeeze
Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by lottavettes
Dealer 400+ for part and I assume about same for labor

Corvette guy...100 for rebuilt part ac delco, and 375 for labor

Do these seem about right

My next option is add power steering fluid until I sell when C7 arrives

What say you??
Hard to say. If the leak is just some seepage then you might get away with it. However, if it is more than seepage the seal has been known to fail completely and you get power steering fluid thrown into the left front wheel well all down the underside of the car, on the rear bumper fascia, and to top it off the serpentine belt then throws a nice thick line of it all over the hood liner. Due to my track activities I have gone through a lot of power steering pumps and racks over the last 16 years and I have lived the above scenario on my 97, 03 and 08.

Originally Posted by LS3 Monster
I'm having a hell of a crapstorm with my power steering in my c6. Power steering stopped working, took it to dealer. Dealer said bad power steering so they replaced it. $1015 for new pump and labor. One week later and steering is getting stiff again but fluids look good.....so.....?????? rack and pinion now? geeeze
The usual sequence is if one goes the other tends to follow soon after. As I mentioned above I have been through the scenario several times and about half the time if one of them failed I had to replace the other within a short time period.

The cost of repair makes a GMPP plan worth having.

Bill
Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The power steeering pump can be DIY! I just did mine with basc tools for $90 (Cordone parts - 30 core) = 65 with tax.

Ofcourse it took me 4 hours. But who cares. And I am NO Mechanic.

BTW did they replace your high pressure Hose? (that part alone was $80 for me on amazon.)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmer
The power steeering pump can be DIY! I just did mine with basc tools for $90 (Cordone parts - 30 core) = 65 with tax.

Ofcourse it took me 4 hours. But who cares. And I am NO Mechanic.

BTW did they replace your high pressure Hose? (that part alone was $80 for me on amazon.)
old thread. however...thanks for sharing. now where's the how to?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Steps: (Obtain a Pulley removal tool from your fav auto parts store, Autozone rents for free)
(First DRAIN ALL PS FLUID FROM THE RESERVOIR!)

1. Remove the Air Dam / Filters up to throttle body
2. Remove alternator (held on by 2 15 mm bolts) and the 1 wire cionnection + 13 mm nut holding the ground in place
3. Loosen the PS reservoir held on by 2 15 mm bolts.
4. There are 2 clamp hoses holding the PS Reservoir to the pump assembly. Remove if you can, if not wait until everything is loosened and try again)
5. There are 2 15 mm bolts (1 is behind the pulley wheel itself on the PS pump) and one is further down in between the throttle body and the pulley (hard to reach on my '05, I prayed the whole time I don't strip it, but it came off eventually)
6. Once all bolts loosened, pull the pulley out towards yourself and away from ABS unit.
Attach pulley removal tool here to remove the pulley, I hung the pump tself with telephone cord high and dry over the throttle body by rigging my own pulley system so I could take the pulley off.)
7. Once pulley removed, it is easy to remove the 16 mm. holding the High pressure hose to the pump itself.
8. There are about 4-5 bolts holding the pump to the aluminum bracket.
9. Replace the new pump, apply new pulley, BUT be sure you put your 16 mm high pressure hose nut on with a NEW O-RING prior to the placement of the pulley AND MAKE SURE TO SLIDE THE 2 BOLTS that are NOT Going to slide in if the pulley is on first.
10. At this point, you should have your 16 mm bolt (from high pressure hose) and 2 15 mm bolts in place.
11. Slide the Power steering pump back into place making sure the High pressure hose clears the belt train and the crankshaft pulley
12. Reverse the rest. EASY.

IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE YOUR HOSE:

BTW I had to replace my high pressure hose as my 05 had the SHORT one, so I bought a new one (much longer hose) from Rockauto (80 shipped), re-routing over the front cross member was required, but the only difference is when everything is off, there is an 18 mm. bolt holding onto the PS assembly itself (Use a flare wrench to avoid stripping) that must come off. Remove that as well. I held the hose on by aluminum zip ties.

Last edited by Ahmer; 07-27-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:54 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Cordone will fail! My Saturn, with Cordone's life time warranty, on its third life cycle.

TurnOne or OEM along with brand new OEM hoses if you want system to last.

But the bright side is that: you will be better at change out next time.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by victorf
Cordone will fail! My Saturn, with Cordone's life time warranty, on its third life cycle.

TurnOne or OEM along with brand new OEM hoses if you want system to last.

But the bright side is that: you will be better at change out next time.

The AC Delco is a cardone part
Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just bought a Turn One pump in anticipation. Check it out, you may want it instead.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by glenB
The AC Delco is a cardone part
Supplier/manufacturer for generic verse OEM have distinct longevity differences - agreed??

Or....do you believe they are one of the same??

Sorry for the Hijack...op!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 PM
spy2520
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Supplier/manufacturer for generic verse OEM have distinct longevity differences - agreed??

If it comes from the same place, I'd put my money on "its the same" just like everything else. They may claim different quality control or materials or something. I wouldn't readily believe it unless i could see it.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Supplier says its the same part.

AC Delco does sell an OEM part as well, but marketed as AC Delco. You can generally tell which is which by the price but most catalogs will say AC Delco Vs AC Delco OEM
Old 07-29-2014, 12:05 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Nice. Well I know how to change it. No biggie. BUT, my car continues to have a slight pesky leak on the front driver's side cross member. I can't figure out where its coming from. Looks clear like power steering fluid but my rack seems to be doing ok. Do the side inlet hoses on the Shaft coming down on the rack itself have a tendency to leak?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by glenB
Supplier says its the same part.

AC Delco does sell an OEM part as well, but marketed as AC Delco. You can generally tell which is which by the price but most catalogs will say AC Delco Vs AC Delco OEM
AC Delco makes nothing. It is a marketing brand. The OE part may come from "X" and the Delco part may come from"Y".
Old 07-29-2014, 01:44 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by timd38
AC Delco makes nothing. It is a marketing brand. The OE part may come from "X" and the Delco part may come from"Y".
There you go!

I have changed out OEM with Cardones Life Time Warranty power steering pump three times after the OEM bite the dust at 130K miles. OEM pump is obsolete, no choice except Cardone replacement. Each Cardone replacement had a different appearance, with the last one painted completely black - including the reservoir. Each change, included new hoses, the first two sets were generic and both suffered pinhole/crimp leaks in short order. The last set was OEM, 30K miles and counting.

As for myself, price has never been an objection, OEM or known name brand, since I want components to last. However, faced with no alternatives - Cardone falls under generic in my book - and it has the same iffy longevity as other generic, such as alternator, starter and radiator............ I had experienced!

Just saying!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

My TurnOne pump showed up today. This thread cost me money
Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 PM
victorf
Drifting

That is also my choice when the time comes. Good time to swap with ARP 12 points - more monies!

Did you order their pulley as well?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

That is also my choice when the time comes. Good time to swap with ARP 12 points - more monies!

Did you order their pulley as well?

What fun would it be of I didn't get the pulley. I am going to try a n make the pressure out of -6 hose and fittings.

Maybe a week or two before I get to it.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 AM
slicnic2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '08 with 18000 mi on it had a power steering leak took to dealer and spoke to service manager, he was able to talk to factory and agreed to replace pump under warranty and also picked up part of labor.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer says my power steering punp is leaking

Quick Reply: Dealer says my power steering punp is leaking