C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Flare Issue - Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Trans Flare Issue - Resolved

So just in case anyone else experiences this issue, I wanted to post up for reference.

My car developed a very bad, very consistent 2-3 shift flare. At 3k rpms it would sometimes jump to 4k between the 2-3 shift. Usually when the shift started at 3k it would be a 500rpm jump and then shift into 3rd. It was unbelievably annoying. It also didn't seem to be responding well, or at all, to changes in the tune. This has been happening for about 6 months and we tried retuning 4 times to correct it.

I finally got the A6 transmission rebuilt due to age (76k miles) and having the supercharger on the car (550rwhp) and figured it would take care of this problem as well. After the trans rebuild and re-tune it was worse than ever.

My tuner called his friend at one of the dealerships and he said it was a known issue that after flashing the trans it could develop corrupted sectors, so he came out to the shop and set the trans as if it were 100% stock tune from GM with all of the latest GM updates. The car drives like a dream now and hits shifts so fast it's ridiculous, and this is just with the latest GM updates to Torque Mgmt and shift characteristics. The guy from the dealership said to give it 200 miles and then tune it to be quicker and more aggressive.

Just sharing my results

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 06-24-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
So just in case anyone else experiences this issue, I wanted to post up for reference.

My car developed a very bad, very consistent 2-3 shift flare. At 3k rpms it would sometimes jump to 4k between the 2-3 shift. Usually when the shift started at 3k it would be a 500rpm jump and then shift into 3rd. It was unbelievably annoying. It also didn't seem to be responding well, or at all, to changes in the tune.

I got the transmission rebuilt due to age and having the supercharger on the car and figured it would take care of this problem as well. After the trans rebuild and re-tune it was worse than ever.

My tuner called his friend at one of the dealerships and he said it was a known issue that after flashing the trans it could develop corrupted sectors, so he came out to the shop and set the trans as if it were 100% stock tune from GM with all of the latest GM updates. The car drives like a dream now and hits shifts so fast it's ridiculous, and this is just with the latest GM updates to Torque Mgmt and shift characteristics. The guy from the dealership said to give it 200 miles and then tune it to be quicker and more aggressive.

Just sharing my results
Thanks for posting Floyd. My friends Procharged C6 is doing the same thing. New tranny put in again...I will pass this info on.

Pitt
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by pit-man
Thanks for posting Floyd. My friends Procharged C6 is doing the same thing. New tranny put in again...I will pass this info on.

Pitt
If it's as bad as my car was he must hate driving his car now. Having it flashed back totally stock to GM's latest calibrations breathed new life into my car.

It made me very uneasy to drive the car hard with ~550rwhp not knowing if it would shift properly or not.

Can't wait to actually get the trans tuned now

If your buddy needs more info I can get more detailed information from my tuner on exactly what was done and post it up, but from my understanding all that happened was that they flashed it back to a stock GM calibration with the most current updates to correct the corrupted sectors.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 06-24-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

now thats good info
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 360 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Interesting info. Can you find out if when they flash it back to stock with the updates, they do just the trans part or does it put the engine tune back to stock alss. I wouldnt want to drive to the dealer, get them to do it, and then find that my engine tune has changed.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Interesting info. Can you find out if when they flash it back to stock with the updates, they do just the trans part or does it put the engine tune back to stock alss. I wouldnt want to drive to the dealer, get them to do it, and then find that my engine tune has changed.
I'll confirm that the tuner didn't re-flash the engine tune.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

If it's as bad as my car was he must hate driving his car now. Having it flashed back totally stock to GM's latest calibrations breathed new life into my car.

It made me very uneasy to drive the car hard with ~550rwhp not knowing if it would shift properly or not.

If your buddy needs more info I can get more detailed information from my tuner on exactly what was done and post it up, but from my understanding all that happened was that they flashed it back to a stock GM calibration with the most current updates to correct the corrupted sectors.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 01:56 PM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Transmission controller is separate from the ECM so the engine side is not effected.

Also anytime a transmission is repaired etc, a clearing/fast adapt with a tech 2 should be performed.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Redrocket1045
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a GM TSB associated with this fix?
I have the same problem and would like to get this fixed right.
Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Redrocket1045
Is there a GM TSB associated with this fix?
I have the same problem and would like to get this fixed right.
Thanks.
I have no idea. Sorry

I did confirm though with my tuner that what Road Rebel said is correct. This flashing of the trans effects ONLY the trans and there is no loss of engine tune.

My car is a joy to drive again. If any of you guys are having this issue I'd suggest looking into this fix asap Maybe contact a local tuner and they could direct you to someone they know at a dealership that is aware of this and will do it for you.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
DEE_Vette
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I did confirm though with my tuner that what Road Rebel said is correct. This flashing of the trans effects ONLY the trans and there is no loss of engine tune.
Floyd I'm having trans issue... Who's your Tuner... I don't think I'm to far from you...
Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by DEE_Vette
Floyd I'm having trans issue... Who's your Tuner... I don't think I'm to far from you...
Owen at ARD. He fixed a lot of issues I had with my previous tune.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My car developed a very bad, very consistent 2-3 shift flare. At 3k rpms it would sometimes jump to 4k between the 2-3 shift. Usually when the shift started at 3k it would be a 500rpm jump and then shift into 3rd. It was unbelievably annoying. It also didn't seem to be responding well, or at all, to changes in the tune. This has been happening for about 6 months and we tried retuning 4 times to correct it.

I finally got the A6 transmission rebuilt due to age (76k miles) and having the supercharger on the car (550rwhp) and figured it would take care of this problem as well. After the trans rebuild and re-tune it was worse than ever.

Just sharing my results
Do you mean it has the latest 2007 trans program, or did he somehow get it to take a 2013 program?

We've been told that the newer programs can't be installed in the older trannies, but that could be incorrect or perhaps the rebuild on yours allows it to take a 2013 program.

Looking for an education...
Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

It must be the latest updates for the model year. Rebuilding the trans wont change the programming it can accept. That is in the TCM.
There was a TSB about this 2-3 flaring and when I rebuilt my trans one of the things I changed (and all the known builders will insist it is changed) is to update to the later, 2011 and up front pump. Since I did this I have no flares, although I changed some tune settings so that could be part of it too.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 PM
blackwhitebeast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get this done on my car because I have the same 2-3 flare. The flare gets bad as soon as I flash a new transmission tune on the car and then after driving the car for awhile it does it a lot less.

I'm a bit worried about this though because I have a 3600 torque converter and I wouldn't want this tune to mess everything up. I know tuning is required for torque converters so I'm a bit leery.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blackwhitebeast
I need to get this done on my car because I have the same 2-3 flare. The flare gets bad as soon as I flash a new transmission tune on the car and then after driving the car for awhile it does it a lot less.

I'm a bit worried about this though because I have a 3600 torque converter and I wouldn't want this tune to mess everything up. I know tuning is required for torque converters so I'm a bit leery.
This will always happen after you flash a tune. You need to reset the adaptives each time and then it takes some time for the trans to "relearn". Nothing will change that.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 PM
blackwhitebeast
Intermediate

This will always happen after you flash a tune. You need to reset the adaptives each time and then it takes some time for the trans to "relearn". Nothing will change that.
Thanks but even after driving the car for months at a time without changing anything the transmission will still randomly flare from 2-3.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Flare Issue - Resolved

Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by blackwhitebeast
Thanks but even after driving the car for months at a time without changing anything the transmission will still randomly flare from 2-3.
Got ya. Not saying you don't have a problem. Only saying that even on a car with no problems, it will act a little funky for a while after a reflash.
Hope you get it sorted out.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 PM
blackwhitebeast
Intermediate

Got ya. Not saying you don't have a problem. Only saying that even on a car with no problems, it will act a little funky for a while after a reflash.
Hope you get it sorted out.
Yeah I just want to see where I can go here in Pensacola Fl to get this done. If I go to any GM will they do this update to my tune? I definitely want to go to the right GM dealership for sure lol.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for posting, I'll pass this along to my pro charged a6 friend as well.

Quick Reply: Trans Flare Issue - Resolved