C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differential Whine

The dealer replaced the first differential at 20,000 miles which ultimately did not correct the 45 mph noise until I replaced the Goodyears. Then the second differential started to whine when I took my foot off the gas at 65 mph and on down to 60 mph. Another new differential and the same thing is happening. Chevy told the dealer it was a harmonic and they want to do nothing else. Some 50 years ago I worked on cars during college summers and this noise was a ring and pinion mis-fit (or mis-shim).

Anyone else heard of this problem?

Curt Franz

Prescott, AZ
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM
ORNGKAOS
Instructor

Mine does it too.... Annoying isn't it? Been lookin for answers for a while to no avail...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 AM
napp e roots
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would say gears misaligned try a good shop that does a lot of rear ends, if any say that the whine is normal they are not doing it right
Old 06-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Originally Posted by napp e roots
i would say gears misaligned try a good shop that does a lot of rear ends, if any say that the whine is normal they are not doing it right
The dealer's mechanic is/was unable to get the ring & pinion shimmed for both directions more than once. That would be the first differential and it's first replacement. They use a listening device to locate where the noise is coming from. After the third differential whined they put some new bearings in the auto tranny...all to no avail.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential Whine

Quick Reply: Differential Whine