C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers without a tune - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Headers without a tune - worth it?

Car is a 2013 GS auto with only 400 miles. Was thinking about having a shop install a set of phat headers but keeping the stock tune to avoid warranty issues.
Would I be wasting my money without getting a tune?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Here are some good threads for you to take a look at - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-tune-ls3.html http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-s...r-headers.html http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-no-tune.html
Old 06-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Thank you, looks like the headers will have to wait for a couple of years.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It'll sound MUCH better and you'll pick up power, but you'll most definitely throw a check engine light due to the rear 02 sensors readings.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Car is a 2013 GS auto with only 400 miles. Was thinking about having a shop install a set of phat headers but keeping the stock tune to avoid warranty issues.
Would I be wasting my money without getting a tune?
I just did this very same thing on a friend's 2012 on the weekend and you will definitely need to have it tuned as it was running pretty lean afterwards compared to when it was stock.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 PM
LSnights09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headers = dyno tune. Trust me, you want this.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Kinda expensive to install a quality header system and not tune the engine for the addition.

The headers will give the same problems in warranty as having a tune, I would think anyway, or in the least raise some issues if a problem did arise. With the tune your engine will run better.

I did the tune on my 08 at 800 miles. I'm a big boy and it is my car paid for and I refuse to be held ransome by the manufacture warranty.

Not for everyone but that is how I roll, at least with the C6.

I suggest that you wait till the warranty is up before compromising your comfortable position.

Not disrespect intended...life is short enjoy it.

Last edited by Boomer111; 06-04-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I just did this very same thing on a friend's 2012 on the weekend and you will definitely need to have it tuned as it was running pretty lean afterwards compared to when it was stock.
No kidding, this surprises me a bit. Was it lean in open loop, or just in closed loop? The factory tunes them so rich in open loop I figured headers would get it to around 12.5 or so with a stock maf table.

I also heard from several sources that you can get around the p0420/430 CEL by using spark plug foulers to get the O2's spaced out of the stream a bit.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM
tcccac
Intermediate

i am in a similiar situation. i also have a 2013 GS with only about 300 miles on it. I have added the Corsa X and sport rear exhaust as well as the vararam SC1R intake. I have budgeted another $5k in upgrades and i am leaning toward the headers and tune. I actually purchased the extended warranty on the vehicle. to me there are so many parts that can go wrong that are still covered and you will not lose your warranty claim. granted some expensive drive train and engine parts may be at risk for decline but electric and many other parts will be covered and they usually go first. it's sort of scary but you gotta pay to paly man. i am running a 2012 Jeep SRT8 with custom tune, headers, exhaust, CAI as well as some other mods. The superchargers have recently come out for the jeep but not ready to go that route yet or a cam on the vette. As a cam would be my choice as of now for the GS. Have you added the X pipe and rear exhaust and CAI yet for your Vette? you should do that first before headers in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I must post this once a week I think...when you are considering which order to put on your mods, I think my thread might help.

There is more info on gears with dyno sheets in the thread. Gears are a great mod for manuals and won't cause warranty issues (except for the rear end obviously won't be under warranty anymore).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ast-heads.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Decided yesterday to overlay all my mods since I've self tuned and dyno'ed each time I did major mods.

I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

See below. Each line represents progressive mods:
1. stock;
2. headers & tune (3.90 gears at same time);
3. G5x3 cam & .040 gaskets (11.4 compression);
4. FAST, and
5. used AFR 205 heads.

What strikes me is how dramatic the gains from headers and a tune were. Combined with the gears, it felt like a different car, and I got a full second + 10 mph in the 1/4 from those mods, from 12.9@108 to 11.8@118. The car was dead nuts reliable at this level.

The second take away is how all the remaining mods really only mattered from 4500 on. Thus I very seldom notice them on the street, only on the track. Not counting the cool sound of the cam.

Mods 3-5 did take off another second and added 10 mph - to 10.8@128. But it cost a lot more and I broke a diff and two transmissions on my way.

This graph shows what I've been saying for while; headers, tune and gears give you by far the best bang for the buck from idle to redline, the remaining mods only matter from 4500 on. Most street driving is below 3000 rpm...you do feel gears and headers even at that level.

Hope someone finds this useful as they decide upon mods.

Another item Tommy kindly reminded me of, is weight reduction.

If you are drag racing, you can expect .1 to .15 from putting skinny tires up front (saving 50 lbs+ of rotating weight) and taking out your passenger seat (53 lbs).
Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Gabbiani
Racer

I do a fair amount of tuning. Not pro but more than most.
On my LS3 car I street tuned it and drove a couple of months before hitting the dyno. Still found @ 20hp/15tq on the dyno. The stock tune is still fatter than I left it on the street.

Could have done the same at the track but don't get there often.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
I do a fair amount of tuning. Not pro but more than most.
On my LS3 car I street tuned it and drove a couple of months before hitting the dyno. Still found @ 20hp/15tq on the dyno. The stock tune is still fatter than I left it on the street.

Could have done the same at the track but don't get there often.
Same here, I tune on the street and on the track and found a similar amount (maybe a little less) on the dyno as well. It's a very good tuning tool, it loads the engine differently than a street run or track run as the dyno starts at 2500 and there is power to be found by tweaking the midrange, you just don't spend any time there on the track or street (if you launch at 6500 rpm like I do).
Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
LSnights09
Advanced

When it comes to warranty on the Vettes, the hard components of the drive train are actually the cheaper things compared to the electronics...
Old 06-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LSnights09
When it comes to warranty on the Vettes, the hard components of the drive train are actually the cheaper things compared to the electronics...

Head lights... Had to replace one of mine...
Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 PM
tcccac
Intermediate

Very nice Joe but you are at a much different point in time then I or i believe snowwolfe is. going just at your bolt on level back in time. how did you add mods? i have gone X pipe and rear first and then added the vararam. headers and tune would be next at the same time. i plan a dyno pre and post. leaning toward the Pfadt headers. what tuner do you recommend?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tcccac
Very nice Joe but you are at a much different point in time then I or i believe snowwolfe is. going just at your bolt on level back in time. how did you add mods? i have gone X pipe and rear first and then added the vararam. headers and tune would be next at the same time. i plan a dyno pre and post. leaning toward the Pfadt headers. what tuner do you recommend?
That was the point of my post, you can see what I started with and my progression. My mods are listed and on the dyno in order.

You are in the right path. Headers are next after CAI.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bedouin
Very timely post Gabbiani, my '12 GS with Pfadt headers/cat'd x-pipe was street tuned for $150 (a generic tune for the LS3 w/ headers, then 10 mins of high RPM driving to verify there was no knock) by a very reputable So-Cal shop. They also say the same thing; bring it back in for a full multi-run dyno tune for another $400, & it should produce similar 15-20 HP/TQ gains.

I'm inclined to go do this, even though it's a full day's roundtrip, not as much for the increased HP/TQ, but to ensure the tune is spot-on & as safe as possible for the motor...do you have any thoughts/opinions @ this?
I would be more then happy to drive to a shop and pick up more HP/TQ. In my area a dyno tune is around $500. I would also take a thumb drive and have them save it to the drive for a back up. Have them do a before and after pull so that you can see what you made. Good Luck.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a new corvette
You are paying for and installing headers

...... pay for a tune to get everything you can out of the mod. simple

Get notified of new replies

To Headers without a tune - worth it?

Quick Reply: Headers without a tune - worth it?