C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end noise, where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Front end noise, where to start?

Hello CorvetteForum members, I have done some searching here and plan on tackling this tomorrow. I would appreciate any extra info that I may have missed or any recommendation for a better course of action. I know these things can be hard to diagnose in person, let alone over the internet, but I hope a few of yall may have had experiences with a sound as such.

Car: 2005 Coupe, z51

Problem: Clink sound from the front end. It's the same sound a chain makes when it hits the pavement at speed (like the sound that the safety chain on a boat trailer makes when the truck hits a dip).

It happens when I hit a bump in the road. Turning does not affect it. Manually causing the car's front end to move up and down while parked does not elicit a sound.

After doing some searching here, I have these four leads to look at so far:

1. Axle Nut: Repeated reports of issues of this coming loose and causing sounds. 160 ft/lbs still the official torque?

2. End Links: Repeated reports of failure of 05-09 parts. Although sounds usually reported on hard driving, turning, and cornering.

3. Brake pins: If not greased properly, reports of sounds being made from bumps. I did the brakes 6 months ago and thought I over greased them...

4. "Lowering bolts:" The previous owner may have put after market bolts on it. Depending on the brand, they have been reported to have a short lifespan.

Anything else I should check while I have it the air with the wheels off?

Thanks for the help, and I checked for a chain dragging under my car, no dice (either)!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Found the issue. The sound seems to be coming from the Bilstein shocks.

I only have limited time in the garage space and access to better tools before I have to put it all back together and clear out; so I moved the thread to the main forum for hopefully some more traffic today. LINK

Quick Reply: Front end noise, where to start?