C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 increase perf or Buy UP Grade Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
mike54
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 increase perf or Buy UP Grade Vette

I have 09 coup with basic susp & no eng. mods. at this time. Here the Q I what to get closer ZO6 perf. can I get there with limited $, or just buy Up Grade vette. This car is paid off. its got less than 19000 mi.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 PM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm assuming that you have had the car since new. If so, then there's no better platform than the one that you know best, yours. Buying a used and/or modified car is potentially inheriting gremlins.

You can add headers, cam, and tune for less than $5k and be pretty close to your goals. Is the hassle of selling yours and finding a Z06 worth $5k to you?

Now, alternatively, you could spend arpund $6k - $7k and add just a centri supercharger (keeping OEM exhaust) and exceed stock Z06 performance.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What do you use the car for? Do you run the 1/4 mile, road race, or is it just a street driver? What aspect of Z06 performance are you trying to get close to (acceleration, handling)?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't like this answer but...
The stock suspension is probably better than you are a driver. This is the same as guys adding more HP instead of learning how to drive better, which most do anyway.
A pro driving your car will run circles around you driving a Z06.
Save your money until you really need it.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM
thehulk
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CYA-Vett
The stock suspension is probably better than you are a driver. This is the same as guys adding more HP instead of learning how to drive better, which most do anyway.

Yea, so buy a pro driver mod .....

Seriously what hell, that answer is garbage.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:29 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

What upgrades do you want to do? I suggest figuring out the costs of the upgrades, and comparing that route to selling or trading in your car to get a z06.

good luck!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would upgrade. Your car has a great suspension and solid engine. Upgrades to both will give you the performance thrill you're looking for and a great sense of satisfaction.
I bought my Vette used and saved $24k over new price and I'm real close to my straight line performance bench mark. There are no affordable road courses around so, I don't intend on doing much to the suspension...maybe torsion bars and shocks from a GS or Z06 some day...Z51 brakes would be nice. Besides, it's a challenge and it's great to succeed.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all really depends on how you use your car.

Seems you put low miles on your car. If all you want is a mean street machine, that accelerates as fast as a Z06
(cuz there are other aspects besides acceleration, which you may not be concerned over),
Then just mod it, Upgrade the clutch, supercharge it, you can add a suspension later....Just take your time and do it right.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:37 PM
ZYUL8r
Instructor

This is the TRUTH if you are Tracking your vette. It's not garbage in my book. If Tracking the vette is your thing, spending money on tires, SS brake lines, and brake pads, and DEs, and schools is a good idea. And LOTS of fun!!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM
DarkRedMenace
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mike54
I have 09 coup with basic susp & no eng. mods. at this time. Here the Q I what to get closer ZO6 perf. can I get there with limited $, or just buy Up Grade vette. This car is paid off. its got less than 19000 mi.
well limited $ is a tough question. I have a base 2008 ls3 6spd and I love it....

I had the big decision to make last year like you were thinking and ended up with a cam, halltech intake, fast 102, kooks LT 1 3/4 x 3, and borla stingers. 476whp with 458wtq (THANKS DOUG @ ECS)

I'm a street driver so the fe1 suspension is nice on the bumps. I mostly go fast in a straight line. once and while i dive into corners with my buddies and notice i cant keep up a little bit.

I'm happy with the set up.... faster than stock z06's and can keep up with 2013 gt500's....

only thing i wish i have were gs or z06 looks.
I'd never trade her in at this point she is just to much fun and the GF likes the fact she is easy on bumps compared to my c5....
Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Let me simplify it for the people who cannot understand...

If I buy the same clubs that Tiger Woods uses, I won't play any better.

OR

I know guys with stock Z's that run 10's and guys with supercharged Z's that run 10's.
Some practiced, some spent 10 grand.

Originally Posted by thehulk
Yea, so buy a pro driver mod .....

Seriously what hell, that answer is garbage.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:41 AM
thehulk
Racer

OR

I know guys with stock Z's that run 10's and guys with supercharged Z's that run 10's.
Yea, clearly thats understandable. You're missing his whole question though because you're blinded by YOUR logic. Regardless of how much sense you think you're making, the question was not if he should upgrade his skills and practice.

"Here the Q I what to get closer ZO6 perf. can I get there with limited $, or just buy Up Grade vette."

Now, granted his English is a little broken and needs work. But for those who can't understand, let me simplify it.....

He wants to know what he can BUY to get as close to or better than in terms of performance (his definition of performance is not determined) so we have to assume he means SPEED. Now, it does not matter his skills when your talking about him driving a Z06 or a Base C6. BUT what does matter is the vehicles performance, if he has the same vehicle with more power then he'll have a better chance of beating a Z06.

So, smart ***....... how is him getting his driving skills better going to allow him to beat a Z06 in his BASE model C6?

Last edited by thehulk; 06-01-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 950 Posts

OR

If he adds power, even if he's the worst driver in the world, he's going to go faster and have more fun. Not saying driver mods are a bad thing. My car has enough power to run 9's. I have great fun running 10's though. I've had fun with it on a road course even though I'm sure most of my lines through the curves weren't perfect (or even close). I get better every time though. You're right about most not being able to drive a stock car to it's full potential. That doesn't mean they shouldn't upgrade until they match some set level of competency though.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

I've been helping people here for over 10 years and had 8 Vette's, you sign up a month ago and pound your chest like you know it all?
I don't claim to know it all, but I try to help.

Grow up. Punk.

By the way, my current car has a stock base suspension and runs 1.32's. My Z06 or Z51 never came close to that. But keep spending other peoples money, I hope that makes you feel better, I guess its easy when you have none yourself.

I've seen your comments on other posts, all you do is bash answers but offer nothing...You are making a fool of yourself. Change your name and start over.

Originally Posted by thehulk
Yea, clearly thats understandable. You're missing his whole question though because you're blinded by YOUR logic. Regardless of how much sense you think you're making, the question was not if he should upgrade his skills and practice.

"Here the Q I what to get closer ZO6 perf. can I get there with limited $, or just buy Up Grade vette."

Now, granted his English is a little broken and needs work. But for those who can't understand, let me simplify it.....

He wants to know what he can BUY to get as close to or better than in terms of performance (his definition of performance is not determined) so we have to assume he means SPEED. Now, it does not matter his skills when your talking about him driving a Z06 or a Base C6. BUT what does matter is the vehicles performance, if he has the same vehicle with more power then he'll have a better chance of beating a Z06.

So, smart ***....... how is him getting his driving skills better going to allow him to beat a Z06 in his BASE model C6?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 PM
thehulk
Racer

I've been helping people here for over 10 years and had 8 Vette's, you sign up a month ago and pound your chest like you know it all?
I don't claim to know it all, but I try to help.

Grow up. Punk.

By the way, my current car has a stock base suspension and runs 1.32's. My Z06 or Z51 never came close to that. But keep spending other peoples money, I hope that makes you feel better, I guess its easy when you have none yourself.

I've seen your comments on other posts, all you do is bash answers but offer nothing...You are making a fool of yourself. Change your name and start over.
I knew you'd try to throw your "10 year" status around. Who gives a ****.

You don't want to play the "who has more money" game, you'll lose.

I don't bash, I give real world advice. The man asked how he can beat a Z06 and you tell him to learn how to drive? Sounds really smart.

*took my car to the track and got beat by a 10 second vette, learned how to drive and came back and ran 10 seconds* -said no one ever.

Ranger couldnt even drive a base c6 into Z06 range. The power is not there, what do you not understand? You think just cause I signed up on corvette forums this year that im new to the car scene? Excuse me for having a life outside the forums.

Here's a bit of advice, when people ask a question... shoot them straight, don't beat around the bush.

Grow up punk. Seriously?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

OR

Who's faster:
The pro in the z06 or the pro in the base c6?

Yes, your argument is valid. A pro may be able to run a faster time in a base c6 than your average joe.
But on the street, power is power. And ultimately, the z06 is the faster car with the suspension, brakes, tires, and drivetrain to back up that power.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 PM
kmikem
Intermediate

Why can't people just upgrade their car if they want? Some people like the sound of a cam and headers and the extra boost they get even if they are not using it to its fullest potential. Some people just like to modify and make things better. Aka Tim the Tool Man Taylor.. "More power arh arh arh!"

If everyone followed the logic of "if you won't use it, don't get it.." we would probably have a small Corvette community lol.

Btw, I plan on modifying my car someday and yes I probably wont even use 2/3rds of its potential, but It will still make me happy anyways.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 increase perf or Buy UP Grade Vette

Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

To get back on topic, how much do you have to spend? A supercharger is the best bang for the buck if you have $7 to spend, IMHO
Old 06-02-2013, 11:37 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
To get back on topic, how much do you have to spend? A supercharger is the best bang for the buck if you have $7 to spend, IMHO

Or if you want the old school sound and want to go with cam\heads etc....this is what is possible and still be streetable.

This is Norm on this site (pick below) and Dennis as well, are running bottom 10's in the quarter. I believe they have 3800 & 4000 stalls. Heads, cam and all the bolt ons. Both cars are amazing fast.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'd recommend checking outa modded car 4 sale.....see if you like it.

Then sell your car and buy the modded one

Quick Reply: C6 increase perf or Buy UP Grade Vette